Buyer opened a NAD case before I even shipped!

Although sales have been quite good lately, I have met a lot of strange buyers too... situation:

Buyer send an offer on 3 items. I accept. I send combined invoice, he pays and write me a kind message asking to please protect the magazines carefully. I reply that I always do that, but that he did not buy magazines, just clippings. He says he thought they were complete magazines and asked for a refund. So then I went to cancel the order and refund, but he did not give me the time to do so: he opened a Not as described case with PayPal, even if I did not even ship the articles yet!

Now, I can't cancel on eBay, because a case is opened on PayPal. When I go to the resolution center in PayPal, they give me just 3 choices:

- ask for a return

- offering to send a replacement

- or offer a partial refund

I would like to just refund the whole amount, but there isn't a place to do that like it used to be. What do you suggest I do? What will happen if I find a way to refund from PayPal? Will I still be able to cancel here on eBay? I'm really discouraged about this whole mess and the way this buyer thinks... I'm not 24/7 in front of my computer! Not to mention this was a sale to France with a 6 hours difference... and this all happened *today*. sheesh 😞

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Another thing... how and why PayPal let him open this case within 12 hours of payment is beyond me!

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

That's ridiculous that they were allowed to open a dispute so soon. I don't know if this will work. But what if you choose the partial refund option but put the whole refund amount in. Maybe that will close the dispute.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

Another thing... how and why PayPal let him open this case within 12 hours of payment is beyond me!

Paypal has no restriction when a dispute can be opened

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

PayPal, they give me just 3 choices:

- ask for a return

- offering to send a replacement

- or offer a partial refund

The buyer does not want the magazines.

He wants his money back.

Do NOT send him anything.

That would be a waste of money and time for both of you.

Contact the seller and tell him politely that you are sorry he is disappointed.

Mark the Dispute as return received. PP will take your word for this, although technically they want electronic proof of the return.

Refund the buyer.

Words mean things, but sometimes you need to realize that the purpose of the words is more important.

Thinkoutise the box.jpg

Get outside that box.

When you voluntarily refund, there is no Defect.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks everyone for your input! A little update: I thought that if the buyer closed the case with PayPal, I would be able to cancel with eBay. So I asked him politely to do so. And he did. But even after more than 30 minutes trying to cancel the order, I was still getting the message "Unfortunately, we can't cancel your order. You can't cancel this order right now because there's a PayPal case open for it".

So I finally decided to call eBay. It seems that even if the case is closed with PayPal, there is no way to cancel the order here. The very kind CSR told me to refund from PayPal and once confirmed, she would be able to credit my fees. Finally, the buyer got his money back and I got my fees back.

What an experience! Even though I thought my listings were clear, I just revised them to make them even MORE clear. I hope I managed to do it.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hi @lady.stark - glad to hear that you were able to get this one sorted, as odd as it was.

When it comes to refunds, we typically look at full refunds from PayPal with no eBay Cancellation as a 'stock-out' defect. However, in this situation you should be just fine and not incur a defect. Please keep an eye on it though, and send me a PM if you see it pop up on your dashboard, as I'd want to get that addressed for you. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

He says he thought they were complete magazines and asked for a refund. So then I went to cancel the order and refund,

we typically look at full refunds from PayPal with no eBay Cancellation as a 'stock-out' defect.

There is absolutely no reason for eBay to consider this anything but a Buyer Remorse cancellation.

We often see buyers whose shipments are late but have not yet run into the eBay last estimated delivery, cancel through Paypal, which allows Disputes immediately.

While some of these buyers are merely impatient, like the OPs buyer, most that we meet are concerned because they are getting no communication or sketchey communication* from the seller.

And even in the cases where the seller seems skeezy, there may be extenuating circumstances.

EBay should reconsider that PP cancellation = eBay Defect policy.

*Unusable tracking numbers, demands that the Dispute be closed before any refund is made, promises of replacements, etc.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

EBay should reconsider that PP cancellation = eBay Defect policy.

Don't agree at all. It would be back to the free for all for out of stocks, I didn't get enough money, I don't like the buyers "vibe" or one of many reasons some sellers used to cancel sales.

There is a proper system for buyer requested cancellations that works fine 99% of the time, this was an extremely rare situation, requires a call to eBay but the matter is resolved.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply