Buyer "hasn't been a member long enough"???

Had a buyer message me last night. They want to make an offer but said they're getting an error that they haven't been a member long enough to buy.
They've been a member since November with 87 feedback, I've never even heard of such a setting on an account and definitely wouldn't limit a buyer like that. My only limitations set up are limit of 2 items within 10 days and 3 account violations.
Anyone have any clue what that message could be about?
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

That makes no sense as guest accounts can come and do one purchase.

How can they not be a member long enough to buy when this is a buying site?

Photobucket
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

That's what I said! I have lots of 0 feedback buyers that join just to buy from me this is the first time someone has said they got that error message
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I asked the buyer to send me a screen cap & they just replied that they can't but said if I adjust the price they will buy it now.
Now this makes less sense and I assume the buyer is up to something
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@prarie_nerd wrote:
I asked the buyer to send me a screen cap & they just replied that they can't but said if I adjust the price they will buy it now.
Now this makes less sense and I assume the buyer is up to something

Actually it all makes MORE sense.  Your buyer is trying to get around your blocks and get the item at the price they want.  Up to you if you want to sell to someone like that.  Personally I hate it when people lie because if they lie about one thing they will lie about anything and everything.  

If it were ME I would be nice but tell them I sympathize but that adjusting my price will not remove the block they mention.  I would say maybe it is a glitch and that it might go away if a day or two the way alot of other problems clear up.  Then I would decide if I actually AM going to block their user ID because I don't trust underhanded people.  But that's me.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If you make the decision not to sell to them, put a specific block in for them, I believe that also stops them from emailing you further as well.... some folks are not worth the bother/risk.....
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

If you block a buyer they can still message you. They can also still buy an item if they have sent an offer at some point while the listing was active.
I think you're both a little confused by what is happening though.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

" If you block a buyer they can still message you. They can also still buy an item if they have sent an offer at some point while the listing was active.
I think you're both a little confused by what is happening though. "

Just end the item then block the buyer. After the buyer is blocked just relist the item.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@prarie_nerd wrote:
If you block a buyer they can still message you. They can also still buy an item if they have sent an offer at some point while the listing was active.
I think you're both a little confused by what is happening though.

If we are confused it is because you have not been clear enough.  From what YOU have said you have a buyer who is unable to "make an offer but said they're getting an error that they haven't been a member long enough to buy."  What they say makes no sense at all because there is not and never was such a restriction.  But thats obvious when you "asked the buyer to send me a screen cap & they just replied that they can't but said if I adjust the price they will buy it now".  

You are free to believe whatever any buyer tells you but you also say you have restrictions against users with violations.  THAT is what they are running into and THAT is why they can't make an offer.  They just told you some lie to get you to drop the price of the item and they will then be able to get around your blocks and buy.  That is so obvious to me.  But if you think I am still confused please help me see clearly because want to understand better.  

I never said YOU should block.  Only that I might do it depending on what was in the email exchange that we haven't seen because you are not allowed to post them here even if you wanted to.  When or if to block is always a personal choice and I just gave my reasons why I might do it in this instance.  I KNOW blocking does not prevent them from emailing you again once there has been an exchange, not until it dies off after 60 days or something.  But they will not be able to start any NEW messages to you if you block them.  Also they haven't MADE an offer, only tried to and met up with your "no violations" block.  

It looks to me like you are being played and if it were ME I would not like that but I think that some sales are not worth having and you might think differently.  You say you have autoblocks on users with "3 account violations".  Were you serious or not?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply