Buyer returned item with UPS, arrived with 130$ custom fees

Hey guys!

I have a big mess on my hands and not sure how to proceed.

I sold a US buyer a 400$ camera. He was having troubles with it and decided to return it.

He used UPS didn't mention it was a return and indicated full value on the custom label. Resulting in a 130$ custom fee when the package arrived at my door.

I refused the package after being told that it would be sent back to the sender (buyer).

I told the buyer right away explaining what I happened and that he would have to re-send the returned item indicating it was a defective item / return with 0 value.

3 weeks later, no replies.

I checked the tracking today on UPS website and it says:

The receiver determined this product order is too expensive and refused the delivery. / This package was abandoned by both the sender and receiver.

I just called UPS about this and was told they contacted the sender (buyer) on August 31th and apparently, he refused to have the package sent back to him... They told me the sender had to contact them ASAP to accept to have the item returned to him or the package would be destroyed. I just sent a message to the buyer explaining this but my hopes aren't too high... no replies at all for my 3 messages in the past 3 weeks.

What should I do?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Pick up the phone and call the buyer to determine exactly what is happening.

Next time, discuss the situation with UPS before making the decision to return the item to buyer (someone has to pay for transportation twice).  It is relatively easy to fix by having UPS prepare a new Customs declaration showing "goods returned to seller" with no taxes being charged.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Not too sure what you mean.

I really couldn't discuss with UPS about this. I had to either pay the 130$ or refuse the package.

Do you mean I could have accepted the package (paid the 130$ fees) and then contact UPS to have the fees reimbursed?

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Was this an INAD open case or just a voluntary return?

Has the buyer been refunded?

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

Hey guys!

I have a big mess on my hands and not sure how to proceed.

I sold a US buyer a 400$ camera. He was having troubles with it and decided to return it.

He used UPS didn't mention it was a return and indicated full value on the custom label. Resulting in a 130$ custom fee when the package arrived at my door.

I refused the package after being told that it would be sent back to the sender (buyer).

I told the buyer right away explaining what I happened and that he would have to re-send the returned item indicating it was a defective item / return with 0 value.

3 weeks later, no replies.

I checked the tracking today on UPS website and it says:

The receiver determined this product order is too expensive and refused the delivery. / This package was abandoned by both the sender and receiver.

I just called UPS about this and was told they contacted the sender (buyer) on August 31th and apparently, he refused to have the package sent back to him... They told me the sender had to contact them ASAP to accept to have the item returned to him or the package would be destroyed. I just sent a message to the buyer explaining this but my hopes aren't too high... no replies at all for my 3 messages in the past 3 weeks.

What should I do?

Thanks!

Was this a newer buyer?

Was there any discussion about how it was to be returned?

I would guess the camera is gone (possibly someone at UPS bought it for the amount owing)

A whole lot more information is needed.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

" I had to either pay the 130$ or refuse the package."

The other option is to call the UPS office when the driver comes and ask for money.  Explain that the Customs charges are incorrect as the item is being returned from American buyer to Canadian seller (you) and no tax should be payable.  Then follow whatever advise/instructions UPS gives you on the phone.

These guys have heard it before and have a procedure to handle such problems.

In the meantime, as stated earlier, phone the buyer to get current status of the transaction.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I wasn't aware it was a possibility.

Does the UPS driver have a special number or do I need to make him wait while I'm waiting 5-10 minutes to speak with an agent?

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Yes, I did mention to the buyer to specify returned merch. / defective on the custom label which he failed to do.

He's not a new (couple hundreds feedback).

He chose "defective" as a return reason.

Buyer hasn't been refunded yet.

When I called UPS I asked if the package had been destroyed and she said no they still have it and they simply needed the sender to call them to accept to have the item returned to them.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

"... (UPS)... and she said no they still have it..."

Call their 800 number again and ask to speak to a supervisor.

You want your item and do not want to pay tax on it since it was returned from American buyer to Canadian seller and, as such, no tax should apply.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"... (UPS)... and she said no they still have it..."

Call their 800 number again and ask to speak to a supervisor.

You want your item and do not want to pay tax on it since it was returned from American buyer to Canadian seller and, as such, no tax should apply.

For $130, there is more than just tax. I don't know how UPS deals with charges other than the tax as it still has to come through customs.

Pierre, do you know how UPS handles return merchandise cross border?

I am also curious if the buyer paid the UPS costs to ship back to Canada or if it may have been sent COD. Did the OP tell buyer to send UPS and not USPS.

Still a lot of questions.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

"For $130, there is more than just tax"

Yes.  You would have brokerage fee, COD fee, disbursement fee and taxes.  However, if no tax is collectable UPS generally does not charge a fee.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Hi!

There are ~70$ in taxes and ~60$ in brokerage fees.

I cannot see any amount for the shipping cost itself so I believe it was paid by the buyer at the time of shipping.

I did not suggest the buyer to use either UPS or USPS... I suspect in the future I should ask them to use USPS if possible.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

When  as seller refuses a return package, they may lose any sort of seller or protection that they have.from eBay so that was probably not the best way to handle things...of course hindsight is usually more clear than then when the event is happening. 🙂  I would have probably paid the amount than either tried to recoup the funds from UPS or recoup everything but the brokerage fees from Revenue Canada.  That would be better than not having the item at all and having to refund the buyer.  I do hope though that this works out for you in the end.  Perhaps try phoning the buyer. Talking to someone in person might make a difference but  even if they do accept the return, I doubt that UPS will refund all of their fees and they might tack on a return shipping charge too......but I am just guessing, I'm not sure how that works.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

UPS runs the brokerage fees part as a profit centre. An item may not attract HST at Canada Post but will always attract HST/GST at UPS. Never use UPS for cross border delivery unless there is no other choice.

UPS drivers are not known for patience at the door when delivering. I'm sure OP was not expecting a UPS driver demanding big bucks when the delivery attempt occurred. 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

UPS drivers not being known for their patience is a bit of an understatement. LOL

I swear that the ones delivering domestic parcels have the ability to knock on the door, set the parcel on the ground, walk down my front steps and already have one foot in their truck in the 10 seconds it takes me to answer the door.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Quick update:

The worst that could possibly happen happened.

UPS destroyed the package and I had to refund the the full amount to the buyer.

Even worst, today I just received an invoice from UPS asking me to pay those 130$ custom fees even though they destroyed my 400$ camera... How about that?

Do you think I should pay?

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

Quick update:

The worst that could possibly happen happened.

UPS destroyed the package and I had to refund the the full amount to the buyer.

Even worst, today I just received an invoice from UPS asking me to pay those 130$ custom fees even though they destroyed my 400$ camera... How about that?

Do you think I should pay?

A case where right hand and left hand of the company don't talk to each other...

No payment since UPS did not delivery anything,

And it would probably be best to tell the invoice people exactly that -- otherwise they'll keep hounding you.

If they want money they can go chase your idiot buyer who bungled the shipping.

-..-

Message 17 of 17
latest reply