Buyers Don't Pay Attention to Shipping Description

ItAnyone else have this issue?

I'm a seller based in Ontario. Shipping within Ontario costs the least for me, and BC/Alberta and the East Coast cost the most. This seems fair: location dictates cost. Ebay doesn't allow me to provide different costs for different provinces in the Shipping box. Why, I don't know, it assumes the entire country is a flat rate?

I don't use the shipping calculator because I lose way too much money from it as it does not account for handling, traveling, and the 10% fee that eBay takes. So I put the Ontario cost, the minimum, in the Shipping box and then I have a Shipping Description within my listing stating EXACT costs to other provinces. Not a single customer outside of Ontario ever pays the cost stated in the listing. EVERY TIME. They always automatically pay the minimum shipping amount and I always have to resend the difference which costs me money because of Paypal's fees.

So, I tried inputting the maximum shipping amount (BC/Alberta rates) and stated in the listing for people outside those provinces to wait for an invoice so I could apply proper discounts, but I got very little activity when I did this. I guess people in Ontario see $20 for shipping for a silk shirt and don't even bother looking at the item. 

This is incredibly frustrating. People don't read descriptions and want to pay as little as possible for the impossible. I'm stuck always requesting small paltry amounts from people from BC and Alberta and waiting on them for days to pay. They pay for the item and the $12 shipping immediately but when I send the extra $6 invoice: crickets. It might not seem like a lot to lose but I've covered differences in the past and it really does hurt me in the long run. 

Does anybody else have this problem?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Thanks a bunch for the forgiveness.

You're right, I was hot, because I was frustrated. Not at femmefan or you, or even my buyers, just at the issues I was having. I've honestly only ever posted on one forum before in my adult life (purseforum for authentication) precisely because I know that my written garrulousness could get me into trouble. I should've taken a breather, came back, dealt with the problem more rationally. You should never write emails/texts/forum posts while angry!
Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Also, just wanted everyone to know, I'm in the process of editing my listings. It's just taking a bit of time.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply