Buyers Who Choose Wrong Reason For Case - What to do?

Just looking for some help here.

Buyer opened a case saying camera didn't work on the phone I sold, no biggies, they asked for a $20 partial refund. However because they opened the case as "item not received", my hands are tied. PayPal blocks all funds and refund options, so I can't issue a refund there, eBay only offers a "full refund" because buyer never claims item not received.

The one good things about the case is that I was able to issue a tracking number as a USPS # as It was shipped using ExpressPost USA, so I have full tracking including delivery.

I left a note with the tracking details letting the buyer know because they chose the wrong reason my hands are tied, but they can change the reason and get the partial refund.

Anything else I should do?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Have you explained this to the buyer? Could be just an error. Wouldnt be the first time. If the buyer hasn't heard from you, other than a response to the claim, he or she may think you are not interested in the refund. 

You have given tracking info so you are fine , but I would contact the buyer. 

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Use eBay Messages to make further contact with the buyer and explain what you would like to do about his actual problem.

He can't reopen the case, but he is still unhappy.

Maybe he just needs instructions on how to make the camera work.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

You can get the case closed by entering the tracking number in the case and then phone eBay to ask them to close it right away since delivery confirmation shows the item was received. Then the buyer can open a return request through eBay stating that the item is not as described/doesn't work.  There is a partial refund option through the return request process.  Make sure you tell the buyer first what you are going to do.   I think that the buyer can close close the inr case too but it is probably best if you do it.

Have you tried going to the transaction in Paypal, clicking on refund and entering an amount?  Even if there is a hold on the money I didn't think that they blocked you from refunding the buyer but I could be wrong.

I always find it a bit odd that a partial refund makes up for an item not working. It is within your right to not give a partial and request that they return the item back but then of course you do have to pay for return shipping.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Thanks for the replies. I have sent a message to the buyer and I will see what happens. If the buyer doesn't respond within a day or two I will call eBay and have them look at the case. 

I can't babysit buyers and teach them how to use eBay. I had to learn, ask and figure things out. Plus, the buyer never sent me a message regarding the issue, just went right away to the dispute. I at least message the seller and give them a chance to work things out, if that doesn't work then i open a case. That seems more civil in my books.

Sadly, PayPal locks all activity from a transaction when an eBay dispute happens, so you can't refund anything.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Well, buyer decided to leave negative feedback without even waiting for the case to close. I think I know what's happening. I'm calling eBay Monday to have the feedback removed and the case closed.

We ought to start a service where we all share our block bidders lists, save each other the hassles!

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

An update,

I contacted one of the other sellers who was negged by this buyer, and was advised to block, heard what happened to him.

Anyways, when I woke up this morning, eBay had removed the negative feedback and closed the case in my favour!

Woo Hoo! (Homer Simpson moment!)

Anyways, thought I would update as it's rare but I won a case. 

Now I don't ever want to do that again. Whew.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

The other great thing is because he has already opened a case and it has now closed, he or she will not be able to open another one. mmmm donutsSmiley Surprised

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@jersey..authentix wrote:

The other great thing is because he has already opened a case and it has now closed, he or she will not be able to open another one. mmmm donutsSmiley Surprised

Why do you say that? They can't open another inr. They can open a not as described case with eBay or Paypal.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

No they can't. It's been a while, but many years ago, when I was a newbie, I opened an INR case. I received the item the next day while at work. I was going to close the case when I got back home. However, when I opened the package... the item had arrived damaged. So of course, I wanted to change the reason for my case, but the seller probably called eBay during the day, because when I got back from work, the INR case was closed and I was not able to open another case for the condition of the item.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

There have been many changes on eBay since 'many years ago' and that is one of them.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Actually the buyer just opened a PayPal claim.......

So I quoted the guidelines for eBay MBG, provided a pdf of the auction, my terms, the eBay Case and the fact that the buyer chose not to communicate with me but rather escalate to a claim within one minute of opening a claim, as shown by a string of e-mails showing only a minutes difference between a case is opened to now it's a claim. My hopes that someone sensible looks at the case. I basically presented the facts like you would in a courtroom and presented my statement respectfully that I believe this is fraud.

On a side note, it is tricky, but eBay states that you can't use these methods of resolution and then open an eBay claim. They don't say anything about enforcing it. So for example, my buyer lost the case in eBay. So now he/she is trying PayPal. If they had started with PyPal and paypal denied it, ebay would have closed the case immediately as eBay would request from PayPal status of any cases.

But since they lost the eBay case, there is nothing in PayPal's TOS that would prevent them from opening a case.

So my revised understanding of the MBG is that if you attempted a chargeback or PayPal claim prior to opening an eBay MBG claim, then eBay will cancel it. But there is nothing from stopping you from trying another method if you eBay case closes (or is lost).

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

So I quoted the guidelines for eBay MBG, provided a pdf of the auction, my terms, the eBay Case and the fact that the buyer chose not to communicate with me but rather escalate to a claim within one minute of opening a claim, as shown by a string of e-mails showing only a minutes difference between a case is opened to now it's a claim. My hopes that someone sensible looks at the case. I basically presented the facts like you would in a courtroom and presented my statement respectfully that I believe this is fraud.

You did this on eBay or Paypal? For an inr on eBay all you needed to do was enter the tracking number in the dispute. If you are referring to Paypal, well they don't care what the eBay MBG is.  Showing that the buyer didn't communicate with you for a nad or inr means nothing as neither eBay or Paypal requires that. .

If they opened a nad claim on Paypal, I  wouldn't recommend fighting that as Paypal doesn't really have nad protection for sellers. I would tell the buyer to return the item and you will refund them when you receive it back. Paypal will require the buyer to pay for return shipping.  Fighting it will more likely result in an unresolved case defect.

So for example, my buyer lost the case in eBay. So now he/she is trying PayPal. If they had started with PyPal and paypal denied it, ebay would have closed the case immediately as eBay would request from PayPal status of any cases.

But since they lost the eBay case, there is nothing in PayPal's TOS that would prevent them from opening a case.

That's the way that I understand it as well. You can open a claim on eBay and then on Paypal if you lost the eBay one but not vice versa.  But I am fairly sure that even though they lose the inr on eBay they could have then opened a nad case on eBay. I've read about that happening quite a few times.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

pjcdn2005 wrote:"Why do you say that? They can't open another inr. They can open a not as described case with eBay or Paypal."

Ebay closed the case. once a case has been close for that particular item, it can not be reopened regardless to another issue as I experienced recently, or did I not get the memo. 

As you can see what the poster wrote below

"I contacted one of the other sellers who was negged by this buyer, and was advised to block, heard what happened to him.

Anyways, when I woke up this morning, eBay had removed the negative feedback and closed the case in my favour!"

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Unfortunately I had the same thing happen to me. Buyer lost the eBay case and opened up a PayPal case. After listening to the PayPal shmeel over the phone they sided with the buyer and refunded her money. Such is life...I hope you have better luck.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

@jersey..authentix wrote:

pjcdn2005 wrote:"Why do you say that? They can't open another inr. They can open a not as described case with eBay or Paypal."

Ebay closed the case. once a case has been close for that particular item, it can not be reopened regardless to another issue as I experienced recently, or did I not get the memo. 

As you can see what the poster wrote below

"I contacted one of the other sellers who was negged by this buyer, and was advised to block, heard what happened to him.

Anyways, when I woke up this morning, eBay had removed the negative feedback and closed the case in my favour!"

That says that the INR case was closed because the item was delivered. As I said, the buyer could still open a NAD case in eBay or Paypal and according to the OP they did open a case in Paypal.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Missed that post. My bad. It went on this :

Anyways, when I woke up this morning, eBay had removed the negative feedback and closed the case in my favour!

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

So I have very good news.

I won the PayPal case. The saving grace for me was that pretty much all my listings are "for parts or not working" as I am in the e-Waste business. So my auctions are always as is. Now, having said that, this doesn't mean that someone can't misrepresent even damaged goods.

So what I did was uploaded a PDF of my auction item, which shows the terms and item condition, plus the details from the eBay case as a PDF, plus delivery confirmation and signature. (Just to be on the safe size)

PayPal ruled in my favor and deemed that:

Status

This claim has been decided in your favor.

The listing accurately described the item the buyer received.

So it's really important to not only write an explanation but backup your claims by using print to PDF on the auction page showing the details especially if the claim relates to something you specifically mentioned in your auction. You can't guarantee that PayPal will visit eBay and check the auction listing, but if you do a PDF of your auction and upload it, it will for sure get looked at.

Blocked that bidder, and he/she can enjoy what they paid for. 

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Wow...that's great although I am very surprised that Paypal made a ruling in a not as described case since they don't normally 'protect' sellers from them.

I guess the moral of the story is that it never hurts to try to win a claim.

11. Protection for Sellers.

11.1 PayPal Seller Protection. PayPal Seller protection is protection we provide Sellers from claims, Chargebacks, or Reversals that are based on:

• Unauthorized Transaction or
  • Item Not Received

11.5 Items/transactions not eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. The following are examples of items/ transactions not eligible for PayPal Seller Protection.

• Claims or Chargebacks for Significantly Not as Described.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#13

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

That's the way that I understand it as well. You can open a claim on eBay and then on Paypal if you lost the eBay one but not vice versa.

This explains my experience. My case was opened on PayPal first. So no option to change it and no option to go on eBay.

With that said, I'm happy for you OP! Glad it worked out well for you 😉

Message 20 of 20
latest reply