Buyers purchasing multiple items and then complain they're not getting combined ship

I have a customer who bought a number of items at auction and tried to buy some items from the store. They claim they are forced to pay for the "buy it now items" right away so I was unable to combine them to the invoice. Of course they are then upset that they are not getting the combined shipping discount.

I have also had customers especially from foreign countries who cannot seem to put multiple items in the shopping cart and have decided not to purchase from my store as a result. Why is this happening? Are there others who are experiencing these types of problems?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Buyers purchasing multiple items and then complain they're not getting combined ship

If you have combined shipping already set up and they put in their BIN items in the cart before purchase, they will receive the shipping discount. If you don't have shipping discounts set up, I don't know if it is still possible for them to request an invoice once the items are in the cart.

For some reason, ebay now requires most BIN items to be paid for immediately which can cause problems. You could give your buyer a partial shipping refund through paypal although you won't automatically get back the fvf that you've paid on the full shipping amount. Some sellers take the extra fees into account when they give the discount, some don't worry about it and some may try phoning ebay to see if they can get a credit.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

When you notice the customer has made multiple purchases, contact her immediately (before she contacts you if possible) and let her know that you will be processing a partial refund on the total shipping.

The refund does not have to be to the penny what you save on combined shipping. It is perfectly reasonable to refund the amount you save-- which means an allowance for the non-refundable eBay/Paypal fees, packaging, taxes, fuel fees, delivery confirmation fees and insurance.

And its not any of the customer's business what that totals. She's getting a prompt refund. End of.

Use Paypal shipping labels. Those don't show the dollar value of the postage to show.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

When you notice the customer has made multiple purchases, contact her immediately (before she contacts you if possible) and let her know that you will be processing a partial refund on the total shipping.

The refund does not have to be to the penny what you save on combined shipping. It is perfectly reasonable to refund the amount you save-- which means an allowance for the non-refundable eBay/Paypal fees, packaging, taxes, fuel fees, delivery confirmation fees and insurance.

And its not any of the customer's business what that totals. She's getting a prompt refund. End of.

Use PayPal shipping labels. Those don't show the dollar value of the postage to show.

PayPal labels are now showing the postage paid on some services. Tracked Packet has always showed since it came out. I believe Small Packet with new label shows.  It seems like stealth postage is not going to be allowed.

One reason is for International shipping, some countries access the value of the parcel for customs purposes as the declared value plus the postage. So it might be a new rule that all international postage labels must show the postage paid on the label.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

So it might be a new rule that all international postage labels must show the postage paid on the label.

I believe that sellers using USPS still have the option of showing the postage or not so I wonder if it is a new rule or if PB just decided to set ours up like that.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Maybe USPS domestic can be hidden but international must show???

I never saw it mentioned in the USA forums how their "stealth" postage works.

Speculation on my part.

PS I don't read much on the USA forums lately. The new mega forums with all the old forums condensed into fewer forums makes finding things interesting to read so hard. And the new forum layout on the USA forums makes it hard to read.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

According to this eBay page, shipping costs must be shown on USPS international labels. So hidden postage is only for domestic.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalfaqs.html

Can the shipping cost be hidden on USPS international labels?

No, this option is not available. The shipping cost must be displayed on international shipping labels, because it is required by customs. Items that do not display the shipping cost may be returned by customs.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

pepee1
Community Member

i had one leave a neg feedback because he said i over charged for shipping.  HE got 2 models from me he asked if i combine shipping i said yes it states it on the description that i do.  I said wait till i send you an invoice with the reduced shipping.  So after the jerk gets it he leaves neg feedback i charged him double for shipping.  i charged him $20 shipping it a flat rate for anyone in the usa.  so he posts it only cost me $12 to ship it and said i charged him $27.  Well the guy didnt wait and paid the invoice ebay sent him that did not have the discount after i told him to pay the other one.  So i didnt notice what he paid till after the neg.  He didnt bother to contact me first.  So i looked into it and found that he paid the wrong invoice so i emailed him and told him that it was his fault that he paid the wrong invoice.  so he starts carrying on about it only cost $12 on the stamp.  So i said even though he made the mistake i said i would refund him $8 to bring it down to $19 for a flat rate shipping and handling.  So i tell him i was charged a $2 fee from ebay for the shipping rate plus the stamp may say 12 but there is tax for shipping that is not stated on the stamp so that was about almost $2 so i say do the math thats $16 to mail that to him and the $3 shipping extra is to cover my other cost.  So this jerk emails me back and say if you refund me $10 i will fix the neg.  Ya im going to do that charge him $9 and i pay $16 makes sense to me.  

I do not agree with this sellers cant post neg feedback on sellers that is just **bleep**.  O you can file a report a buyer but what does that do sweet dick all.  Doesnt fix my neg feedback but he keeps his bull **bleep** neg free. 

Ebay needs to start to allowing  sellers to leaving neg feedback or allow us to reply to the neg mark. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I have a question............I sold 3 items to one buyer.  Ebay sent an invoice and buyer paid.  After buyer received parcel they gave negative feedback X 3 because I did not combine shipping cost.  Each item had different shipping costs due to size, etc.  In my add I did not say I would combine shipping.  

Buyer says it is fraud to charge separate shipping charges on each item.  Is this true?  I can't seem to find where it says I MUST combine shipping.  I have done it for some buyers if they ask.  This buyer did not ask, paid the purchase prices and then wanted refund of postage paid.  

Any help or advice much appreciated.  

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

This buyer has had a previous ebay account and recently started a new account. Thinking they had a lot of negative feedback maybe?
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Your three listings show total shipping charges of almost Cdn$68 (US$57)

Did you ship the three lots separately - in three boxes with three postage charges or did you combine all three items into a larger box?  If so, how much did it cost you to ship all three items?

How does your out-of-pocket shipping charge compare to what you charged the buyer?

If you were the buyer, how would you react?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

"This buyer has had a previous ebay account and recently started a new account."

Do you know that for a fact or do you simply assume it?  (we all know the meaning of "assume")

"Thinking they had a lot of negative feedback maybe?"

If you know of the buyer previous eBay ID, it takes only one second to check.  There is no question mark here.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

It is not fraud to refuse to charge for combined shipping but it is good customer service to try to ship things together and charge appropriately. If you can give them a discount on the shipping and they have already paid, you can refund them the difference less the extra amount it cost you in paypal and ebay fees.

If for some reason you were not able to ship the items together, it would be a good idea to contact the buyer before you ship to explain why they will be sent separately.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Ya im going to do that charge him $9 and i pay $16 makes sense to me.  

Currency?

Most Canadian sellers list in US dollars. But we pay the post office in Canadian dollars.

If you charge him $9USD that is about $10.80CDN. If you pay $16 CDN that is about $12.80 USD.

Still a difference, but not as great as you are thinking.

Ebay needs to start to allowing  sellers to leaving neg feedback or allow us to reply to the neg mark. 

I don't know why you would leave negative feedback for a buyer who, if anything overpaid you. That you did not catch his error and refund the overpayment before shipping is your error not his.

EBay does allow sellers to Respond to any feedback, including our own. While the most effective Responses are calm and factual (I sent discounted invoice, you paid earlier higher one.) there is not requirement that Responses be positive.

There is also no deadline on leaving Responses.

Keep in mind that future customers will judge your customer service skills on your Responses as much as on your buyers' feedback.

Politely. -- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

You have a bigger problem than a negative feedback.

I suggest that you list some items with Free Shipping domestically to mend your very low DSRs for Shipping.

Free Shipping will give you automatic Five Star Ratings for Shipping Cost.

EBay restricts seller accounts that drop below 4.3 and you have one 4.2.

And don't panic about Free Shipping. It just means that shipping is included in the asking price.

Which is cheapest?

A $10 item with $15 shipping?

A $15 item with $10 shipping?

A $25 item with Free Shipping?

Remember that you pay no shipping FVF on any shipment, no matter its destination, when you offer domestic Free Shipping. So really while the buyer pays the same for all those listings, your fees are lower on the $25/Free Shipping item.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply