Buying extra insurance for US Tracked Packet???

I know that there is automatically $100 CDN included with tracked packet USA. My item sold for $105 USD and I would like to purchase extra insurance. I cannot find an option to do this. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so how to do it??  I print my labels from Paypal and on the classic option all it says is "Insurance $100 included. On the Paypal new label option it does say extra liability insurance but when I click on it all it says it $100 included. I do not see why you would be unable to purchase extra but I just don't see how to do it.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hi, tracked packet only includes $100 insurance ~ if you need more then you have to change the shipping method to either expedited parcel post USA or Xpresspost USA ~ these come with $100 included and the option to purchase more for I think $2.25 per extra $100 .... but the base shipping rate really increases for the other 2 methods up to $10 extra for expedited and almost 2x the cost for xpresspost compared to tracked packet ....

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I wonder why they won't let you buy extra - it is tracked after all. Doesn't really make any sense but then lots of things about Canada Post don't make sense to me! Guess I may have to take a chance as not sure I want to pay extra for expedited. Thanks for the help.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Frankly it would be a waste of money.

The postal system is very good at its job and postal insurance does not cover damage due to poor packing (that's your responsibility) or items disputed because they are Not As Described.

Parcels are automatically insured against loss or delay in transit. Tracking insures you against a false or pre-emptive Item Not Received claim.

How often have you lost packages in the past year?

Is there something about this customer that makes you want more insurance?

How long would it take you to earn that extra $5 at minimum wage (about 17-18 cents a minute)?

Have you heard the good news about Cookie Jar Insurance?

(Honestly, if I keep up with this I will have to buy a tambourine and a kettle and start writing some hymns.)

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@katlover1952 wrote:

I wonder why they won't let you buy extra - it is tracked after all. ... Guess I may have to take a chance as not sure I want to pay extra for expedited.

Check the price for tracked vs expedited in the paypal shipping calculator before you ship -- depending on destination there may not be much of a price difference (tracked is one value for all USA, expedited is variable).

But for the extra $38cdn of coverage, I wouldn't bother -- I look at the value to insure from the viewpoint of what it cost me, not what I'm making on the sale. Currently Canada Post charges $2.25 for each extra $100 in insurance plus (new this year) over $100 must have signature.

My score for tracked parcels (in 13 years of selling) is zero losses (late from time to time, but no losses), so I don't worry unless the item is high value/high risk. You have to find your comfort level.

-..-

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I wouldn't worry about extras insurancefor that amount  either but when you do really want it, you can buy insurance from a third party insurance company such as Insurepost.  

Message 6 of 6
latest reply