CA Sellers: Please share your insights!

I would like to hear about your insights on what it's like being a Canadian eBay seller. Please post your thoughts here, what works, what doesn't, ideas for improvements to the site or for new features, etc. Please keep the topic on selling.

Note: This is not a thread like our weekly Board Hour. I'll try to stay active on here as much as possible but please keep any questions or site issues (including any comments on what is not working with GSP! ;-)) for our weekly discussions. What I'm hoping to do here is get a sense of your business insights and perhaps even find an idea or two we can look into implementing.

Looking forward to read you!

Message 1 of 112
latest reply
111 REPLIES 111

Its low dsrs, not average dsr count that are the main vehicle for punishment.   Low dsrs are measured agaisnt total transactions, not against dsrs received.  So indeed no feedback or feedback without dsrs are counted as "good' in the calculation.  There is virtually no one left on ebay of any volume that has an average dsr value at what used to be the punishment level for dsr "average"

Buyers aren't scrunizing sellers for a .1 difference in the dsrs...the highest volume sellers tend to be more likely at the low end of the 4.7-5. almost everyone is.  Everyone is use to online ratings like yelp where the entire range is used, so everyone on ebay looks good.

Message 41 of 112
latest reply

So if what you're saying is accurate (and I'm sure it is), eBay's rating system is heavily skewed in favour of high volume sellers? 

I'd say this is another argument for allowing no FB to be converted to positive FB and 5.0 DSRs after 60 days if eBay wanted to support its smaller sellers. 

Message 42 of 112
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

So if what you're saying is accurate (and I'm sure it is), eBay's rating system is heavily skewed in favour of high volume sellers? 

I'd say this is another argument for allowing no FB to be converted to positive FB and 5.0 DSRs after 60 days if eBay wanted to support its smaller sellers. 

toby is correct. I don't see how you think your idea would benefit smaller sellers. Your percentage of low DSR's is based on your total transactions. If you had 100 transactions and 50 of the them had DSR's, your percentage of low DSR's would remain the same whether or not ebay suddenly gave you all 5 stars for thoe other 50 transactions.

Message 43 of 112
latest reply

"For that matter, if a buyer hasn’t left FB on his/her own after 60 days, eBay should automatically give the seller the benefit of the doubt with a generic positive FB message (e.g. “Transaction concluded satisfactorily –  eBay message”) or something similar, and give the seller 5.0 DSRs across the board on the transaction.  This would be a huge boost to smaller sellers "

Frankly, I think you may want to rethink that suggestion.

Currently sellers often have buyers who are not perfectly happy with some aspects of the transaction but will not bother to post neutral or negative feedback. On average - across all categories on eBay - about one third of all transactions result in no feedback posted by buyers.

Now, if buyers are made aware that the seller will automatically be given positive feedback and 5.0 DSRs across the board if no feedback is left after 60 days, I suspect many buyers will in fact post feedback and DSRs representing how they feel about the transaction, and not all of it will be positive or 5.0.

Will sellers win?  I honestly do not think so.  It would invite more problems than solve them.

Message 44 of 112
latest reply

Of course the biggest sellers on ebay have an advantage, read the "toysrus" thread raging on the .com ps board

ugh just noticed someone who left the comment "perfect" also left the only low dsr for item as described I've ever received.  Who the heck leaves a 2?

Message 45 of 112
latest reply

"Who the heck leaves a 2?"

Maybe someone who understands the system very well. eBay may flag a "1" but let a "2" stand.

Message 46 of 112
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

toby is correct. I don't see how you think your idea would benefit smaller sellers. Your percentage of low DSR's is based on your total transactions. If you had 100 transactions and 50 of the them had DSR's, your percentage of low DSR's would remain the same whether or not ebay suddenly gave you all 5 stars for thoe other 50 transactions.

Yes, but wouldn't the average rating rise in each category? 

I'm fairly confident that my attention to service to my buyers won't get me the kind of low DSRs that would put my business in jeopardy or that wouldn't be removed by eBay for good cause (as they now seem to be doing more and more). 

So as a small volume seller, I'm not as concerned about having a percentage of low DSRs as I am about maintaining standing in each category to keep my TRS status, but more importantly to let my buyers know they can expect great service (a minimum of 4.8 in all categories has been my constant aim).  I think buyers at least glance at those numbers - I know I do when I purchase anything on eBay.

Message 47 of 112
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Of course the biggest sellers on ebay have an advantage, read the "toysrus" thread raging on the .com ps board

ugh just noticed someone who left the comment "perfect" also left the only low dsr for item as described I've ever received.  Who the heck leaves a 2?

'toby' - Pardon the question, but where do you find the specific information on what DSRs a particular buyer has left?  I've never been able to find this, although I've looked for it.

Message 48 of 112
latest reply

"Now, if buyers are made aware that the seller will automatically be given positive feedback and 5.0 DSRs across the board if no feedback is left after 60 days, I suspect many buyers will in fact post feedback and DSRs representing how they feel about the transaction, and not all of it will be positive or 5.0."

You may be right.  This is certainly a valid point if you accept the assumption that many buyers who never leave FB do so because they're mildly unhappy. 

I'm not sure I do (these days people are so often too busy or just can't be bothered with another "chore") but then how could anyone really know for sure?  

Well, it was a nice daydream while it lasted... 

Message 49 of 112
latest reply

A corallary of Murphy's Law states,

"If you play with something long enough, you will break it."

Stop dicking around with the sites.  Everybody's getting annoyed about this, buyers and sellers.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 50 of 112
latest reply

"assumption that many buyers who never leave FB do so because they're mildly unhappy. "

Not many.  You only need one to ruin your perfect 100% feedback. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Message 51 of 112
latest reply

73rhc
Community Member
Raphael,

Where to begin? I truly believe that eBay is a big machine that is out of control. In the early days, it had a simple purpose. Get that collectable, or what have you, to the collector/end user. A big generalization, I know. Now, eBay is on the road to being less distinct. Amazon-like. eBay was a place where the casual seller could earn a coupe of bucks, without getting a massive headache. It was fun. It isn't anymore.

Buyer, buyer, buyer... As I believe the buyer's satisfaction is important, I believe the seller's satisfaction isn't anymore. DSR's are killing the little guy. Selling limits, really? How does this do anyone any good. Who benefits? I don't see the purpose, other than pushing sellers away and ticking them off.

I, for one, will gladly sell somewhere else when an "old eBay-like" site becomes reality. And I believe, it's just around the corner. Ebay's ego has allowed it to think that they are the only player in the game. So I have been looking to sell locally and will hope for that new site.

Even though, I believe in growth. Ebay's roots are what had me excited. eBay: just another stock holder machine. Sad.
Message 52 of 112
latest reply

"but where do you find the specific information on what DSRs a particular buyer has left?  I've never been able to find this, although I've looked for it."

You have to figure it out yourself by running seller perfromance reports from the link on the dashboard.  Very easy if you know its one of the last few fb received, just run by item number wiht recent fb and take the suspects out one by one.  Considerably more work if you have no idea when the low dsr came.  Run them by time to narrow it down

Message 53 of 112
latest reply

Thanks 'toby' - that's what I assumed, and what I've been doing (running the reports). 

Unfortunately if there are a quite a number of DSR ratings left during a short period, it's a bit hard to figure out which one was the 'culprit' that dragged down the overall average, but I suppose if one has the time, it's possible to do it by process of elimination, by date as you mention. 

In the end, I'm not sure it makes a great deal of difference after the fact, but sometimes I like to see who was unhappy (or at least less than 5 stars happy) so that I can try to figure out what the problem was.  And for me, it's always that rotten "shipping cost" DSR, despite the fact that I discount all my flat rate shipping. 

I do offer some free shipping to try to keep that DSR category bouyant, but I have to be careful about it, because most of my customers are in the U.S. and if I don't watch it, the shipping can wipe out what's left of any profit.

Message 54 of 112
latest reply

Many buyers do not leave feedback....

Look at this as not having the possibility of receiving negative feedback or a low rating.

Many feedback do come close to the 60 day cutoff....  Does eBay send the buyer a notice that feedback has not been left....eBay  should let sleeping does sleep..

Some sellers have has let their buyer know that the buyer has not left feedback.

Sometimes  the buyer has left negative feedback... with the feedback  that effectively says... "You wanted this feedback"...

Many might say.. Seek and you shall find....

Sometimes it is best to leave everything as it is...

Do Not Disturb!

Message 55 of 112
latest reply

Yes, the sleeping giant could wake up grumpy.

Message 56 of 112
latest reply

I am startting to get a little fedup with low DSRs on my shipping from Canada. Since Canada post introduced no insurance on Small packet USA Air, I was forced to send all of my sale items under $100.00 with Tracked Package USA, or for items over ther $100.00 with Expedited shipping. The cost my buyers pay for shipping now is double and almost triple for the more expensive items. The US buyers don't recognize this and therfore leave low ratings due to shipping costs. Hardly fare to us Canadian sellers who have no control over Canada Posts shipping charges. When asked the question "How reasonable were the shipping and handling charges"---of course they where not reasonable--and there goes my low DSRS. A solution to overcome this would be to remove that question for all International sales.

Since the introduction of FVF on shipping I am now loosing money on every sale. US sellers have it made in the shade where they get all ther boxes and envelopes free from USPS. Us Canadian sellers have to pay for boxes and envelopes, since I sell delicate items I have to package them well with lots of bubble wrap and peanuts--all this cost me about $2.00 for every sale. I have to use new boxes, because USPS prohibits used boxes with any marking on them. A solution would be to remove FVF for Canadian Sellers--this would make it fair.

Why is Ebay charging me a FVF on Taxes I charge to my Canadian buyers on my sales, this is just another greedy fee that seems totally unconstituional.

I am now only selling antiques and collectibles on Ebay and sell my new items on other sites. Ebay has forced me to sell elsewhere as I can't make any money on a $10.00 item anymore, after my shipping costs, insertion fees and FVF fees I barley make a buck--not worth it anymore.

Canadian sellers please reply.

Message 57 of 112
latest reply

ebay sent me the wrong shipping address.

ebay sends two emails with shipping addresses when an item is sold ("your item sold!" from ebay.ca and "you've received a payment" from paypal.com).

I sent to the ebay.ca shipping address, but it was outdated, unlike the paypal.com email shipping address...
Message 58 of 112
latest reply

"I was forced to send all of my sale items under $100.00 with Tracked Package USA, or for items over ther $100.00 with Expedited shipping"

Nobody forces you to do anything. Why not use Small Packet and third party insurance (if insurance is so important to you)?. It would cost you much less than Tracked or Expedited. 😉

"because USPS prohibits used boxes with any marking on them"

? I use used boxes all the time and never had a problem with USPS.... why or who made you think it was prohibited?

"Why is Ebay charging me a FVF on Taxes I charge to my Canadian buyers on my sales"

Unless you include your taxes in your item price or shipping price, FVF are not charged on taxes. Where did you see that?

Message 59 of 112
latest reply

@darrell2012j wrote:
ebay sent me the wrong shipping address.

ebay sends two emails with shipping addresses when an item is sold ("your item sold!" from ebay.ca and "you've received a payment" from paypal.com).

Unfortunately, eBay did not send you the wrong address: the buyer just didn't change it. For your protection, you need to always use the PayPal address that is given with the payment notice.

Message 60 of 112
latest reply