CANADA POST TRACKED PACKET SERVICE EXPANDED TO 31 COUNTRIES

I have discovered that Canada Post has quietly expanded the number of countries served by Tracked Packet. Cost of this postage service aside, this is good news for Canadian eBay sellers so I thought I'd share it.

The bad news is that neither eBay Calculated Shipping nor Paypal Shipping reflects these changes. It is impossible for a buyer to see Tracked Packet as a service option in about a third of these countries (Italy or Portugal for example) and impossible also to print that label through Paypal Shipping. As sellers, we need to band together and get this somehow addressed. No pun intended. 

Details may be found at CPC website https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/products/details.page?article=choose_low-cost_us_a

For your convenience, this is what it says:

Tracked Packet service has 4 new destinations

Tracked Packet service offers a reliable, cost-effective and trackable shipping solution for light-weight items. It’s ideal for e-commerce shipments. Available to the U.S. and 31 international destinations. 

New:  
Austria 
Brazil 
Italy 
South Korea  

USA 
Australia 
Belgium 
Croatia 
Denmark 
Estonia 
Finland 
France 
Germany 
Hong Kong 
Hungary 
Ireland 
Iceland  
Latvia 
Lithuania  
Luxembourg 
Malaysia 
Malta 
Netherlands 
New Zealand 
Poland 
Portugal 
Singapore 
Spain 
Sweden 
Switzerland 
Turkey  
United Kingdom 

End to end delivery: 
4-7 business days – U.S. A. 
6-10 business days – international  
Surcharges
Fuel surcharge @ non-express rate 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Oh, wait... Portugal displays a Calculated Shipping cost now. Italy still does not. Nor Austria. I must wonder aloud who we have to talk to at Paypal to get the Shipping Tool upgraded. I got nowhere fast during my last call there about it. As usual, they told me it was Canada Post to blame. When I called Canada Post, they told me it was the fault of paypal. 

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Oh, wait... Portugal displays a Calculated Shipping cost now. Italy still does not. Nor Austria. I must wonder aloud who we have to talk to at Paypal to get the Shipping Tool upgraded. I got nowhere fast during my last call there about it. As usual, they told me it was Canada Post to blame. When I called Canada Post, they told me it was the fault of paypal. 

You are right. Neither is responsible so calling is a waste of time. Thanks for the heads up!

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Weirdest thing... I have a sale to Austria today (of all places!), the first European sale I've had in months.  I want to send the item with tracking, and remembered this thread you started on Tracked Packet, but having read your post above, I wonder if I'll be able to access the service.  

I'm so tired of having to call people to get things to work that we're told should  work.  Maybe I should just take this one to the P.O. and get my Canada Post discount.  I don't think the online label discount on Tracked Packet is much more than the Venture 1 (or Solutions for Small Business) discount. 

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

I'd take it to the post office. Or try the online Canada Post label printing. Ebay Shipping can't calculate a rate yet because Austria is that new. Paypal is still catching up to the second-last recent batch of countries added. 

Or if you have an extra 15 to 45 minutes to kill, call Paypal to complain it's not there. Eventually, they'll get the hint. 

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

"Paypal is still catching up to the second-last recent batch of countries added. "

The problem is not with PayPal.

It is with Pitney Bowes who administers the program under contract for eBay.  PayPal is only the payment agent.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Thanks 'mj'  -- I'm going to give Tracked Packet a try with Paypal labels, just to see if it's there yet (I'll report back here either way).  However, my time is pretty valuable at the moment, as not only am I trying to get a whole group of new designs completed, but we're also trying to get our garden tidied up and "put to bed" for the winter.  

So I won't bother calling Paypal, and likely won't attempt using Canada Post's online label service.  The last time I did that, as I recall it took over half an hour to get one lousy label printed out.  I was yanking out my hair by the end of it. 

No, if Paypal TP isn't available to Austria yet, I'll just schlep off to the Post Office with my parcel.  Yodelaydee-hoo!!

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Paypal is still catching up to the second-last recent batch of countries added. "

It is with Pitney Bowes who administers the program under contract for eBay.  PayPal is only the payment agent.

Well, whoever is responsible, I think they should not be announcing a service until there actually is such a service. Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

The other thing that I just remembered is that the last time I tired to print any sort of label via Paypal Shipping for an Austrian customer it just WOULD NOT WORK. I tried for 12 hours double-checked the address with the buyer, and then went to the post office.

Paypal Shipping could not tell me why it failed but it mailed just fine through the postal counter and arrived in record time.

Austrians have a different way of writing their street addresses and mine was partly German but no matter how much I moved parts and/or translated, it would not work. 

You might be in for an exercise in frustration.

And, yes, pierrel, I agree that there needs to be some kind of continuity between these service providers with which we are contracting.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Is it fair to ask how to contact Pitney Bowes? Can R at Board Hour tell us that? Paypal might be the agent and ebay no longer taking ownership for it (I've asked a few times now at Board Hour) but we, as sellers, still need someone to be accountable for providing the service. 

And the agents at Customer Help for Paypal Shipping never, ever mention Pitney Bowes. Only that Canada Post is to blame. As if there is real animosity between the two groups. 

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

"Is it fair to ask how to contact Pitney Bowes? "

Unfortunately you cannot.

PB is under contract from eBay, not sellers.  As such sellers have no access to the eBay's supplier of service (PB).

Only eBay can tell PB what to do.

And if you contact eBay they will tell you the problem is with Canada Post or PayPal.  If you contact PayPal they will tell you the problem is with eBay or Canada Post.  NOBODY ever mentions Pitney Bowes.  It is like a big secret around here!

Yet their contract is a matter of public record:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pitney-bowes-partners-with-canada-post-to-provide-integrated...

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Austrians have a different way of writing their street addresses and mine was partly German but no matter how much I moved parts and/or translated, it would not work. 

You might be in for an exercise in frustration.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

To report back after completing the parcel... 

Well, that was a chore.  Let's see, over one hour later, and my husband is finally going out the door to the P.O.  I decided to give Canada Post's new site a try, since I really prefer online labels for the convenience and the email follow-through. 

However, since CP has completely redesigned their site since I last had to print a label from there, it took me nearly half an hour just to find the place where I could begin the label request process.  I did manage to get through the maze -- and actually get a Tracked Packet label printed (hooray!).  The small business discount was somewhere around 6% it appears.  

Fortunately, I was trained as a linguist, and am quite fluent in German, so I had no problem with the address.  In German the street number always follows the name of the street, and the word for "street" or "avenue" or "lane", etc. is always suffixed to the actual name of the street (in case you were wondering).  

What I usually do is leave everything in German as on the buyer's Paypal address, except the country name, i.e. I don't write Österreich, but Austria.  My rationale is that it will be Canada Post reading the label here in order to direct it to the right country, but the Austrian postal people will be better off seeing the local address in German once the partial actually reaches Austria.  

(BTW, if you ever need any assistance with European addresses, feel free to message me.)   However, the UK is another story entirely, especially if it's Welsh.  Woman LOL 

OK, now I can get on with the rest of my day... Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

OK, apologies, I got so excited at the fact that I was actually able to print out a Canada Post label that I neglected to mention the main point -- there was no option for Tracked Packet for Austria on Paypal labelling (I tried twice).  It simply isn't on the drop-down option list yet. 

If anyone finds it is available in future, please let us know! 

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

" I don't write Österreich, but Austria.  My rationale is that it will be Canada Post reading the label here in order to direct it to the right country,...:"

When mailing to Austria, I always write "Austria, Europe".

At least twice I had mail addressed to Austria forwarded to Australia by postal clerks reading too fast.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

"...but the Austrian postal people will be better off seeing the local address in German once the partial actually reaches Austria."   

A bit of momentary lack-of-sleep dyslexia there (actually it seems my brain was thinking one thing while my fingers typed another, closely phonetic word, even spelled the wrong word correctly -- very interesting Woman LOL).  

It should of course have read "parcel". 

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

When mailing to Austria, I always write "Austria, Europe".

At least twice I had mail addressed to Austria forwarded to Australia by postal clerks reading too fast.

Oh yes, good point, another example of momentary lack-of-sleep dyslexia no doubt.  

Oh well, too late now for my parcel, my husband just got back from dropping it off at the P.O.  Hopefully the Canada Post people will see the German-language address and put 2 and 2 together.  Woman Frustrated

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Do you suppose there will be Board Hour tomorrow? It's both Wednesday and Remembrance Day. I'd like to raise the Tracked Packet problem.
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

It is with Pitney Bowes who administers the program

And we all know how efficient PB is.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

I intend to raise this at Board Hour tomorrow.
Message 19 of 25
latest reply

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows which countries are currently available with Tracked Packet on Paypal?  Thanks!

Message 20 of 25
latest reply