Can I not file a claim with Canada Post?

If I chose a shipping option without tracking or insurance, can I really not file a claim with Canada Post if my sent package was lost/late? The only time I shipped without tracking the buyer claimed the package had not arrived.

I opened a ticket with Canada Post for investigation and they told me that without tracking/insurance they can't do anything. They are extremely useless. I paid them to deliver a package and because I didn't pay more, I have to suffer the negative impacts of their incompetence. 

After all this, I am forced to issue a refund to the buyer. Is there really nothing I can do to "get my money back"?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Sorry to say, but there is nothing you can do except refund. Make sure buyer opens a case with Ebay for INR and then refund through the claim to get your final value fees back.

What type of item, what cost, feedback for buyer, feedback left for others, and where was buyer located?

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

By what you sell and with the shipping charges, why would you not use tracking and insurance for every sale? You are a fairly new seller and selling a lot of items catering to the younger type buyer.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Old games
~$95.00
100% with about 44 ratings (me)
100% with about 200 ratings (him)
Dolar, Florida

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I've already learned my lesson. This sold before I educated myself on how easy it is for sellers to get scammed.

I believe this person checked to see if  shipped without tracking then waited for positive feedback before trying to scam me. He said the games was for his kid but there were a couple duplicates. Could still be telling the truth but I always expect the worst in people. Either this or Canada Post is extremely useless.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@wtun3215 wrote:

Old games
~$95.00
100% with about 44 ratings (me)
100% with about 200 ratings (him)
Dolar, Florida

Buyer feedback % can only be 100% as they can only have positives, Doral is a a centre for forwarding mail. Parcel was then sent on to the buyer somewhere in Central America or Caribbean.

The only time I use tracking or insurance is when I am in Expedited or I spend the dollar to upgrade when I am between 5-- grams and 1 kilo. I lose about 1:1000.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Sigh. No protection against scammers unless I buy tracking and insurance. Now I am out $100.00 worth of items.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Anything over $20 USD I ship with tracking.  Under $20 without, unless of course it is over the weight limit.

I figure scammers are looking for higher dollar items to claim not received, and $20 can easily be refunded.

Haven't lost a package yet, knock knock...

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I use Femme's cookie jar insurance and I am about $10,000 ahead NOT buying the extras.

Anything, any value, under 500 grams goes untracked, uninsured Small Packet. Like I say, I lose 1:1000. Why would I pay extra when I never lose anything?

Photobucket
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

So are you saying I shouldn't put tracking or insurance on anything below 500grams, no matter its value?

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

So if something is $20 or less but more than 1KG I should put tracking on it?

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@wtun3215 wrote:

If I chose a shipping option without tracking or insurance, can I really not file a claim with Canada Post if my sent package was lost/late? The only time I shipped without tracking the buyer claimed the package had not arrived.

I opened a ticket with Canada Post for investigation and they told me that without tracking/insurance they can't do anything. They are extremely useless. I paid them to deliver a package and because I didn't pay more, I have to suffer the negative impacts of their incompetence. 

After all this, I am forced to issue a refund to the buyer. Is there really nothing I can do to "get my money back"?

This has nothing to do with Canada Post incompetence.

If you have a package that must arrive in a certain time frame then you pay for guaranteed delivery.  Otherwise, you take you chances and hope it doesn't take decades to arrive.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-woman-gets-letter-with-6-cent-stamp-45-years-late-1.26...

-..-

If the item is was not tracked then how are you going to prove that it got lost by the post office?

How do you expect the post office to find it? 

Small Packet to the USA does have an internal scan number, so, in theory, it could be used by Canada Post to see where it was while still in Canada. That stops at the border once the USPS has it in their hands.

With no insurance, the most the post office is responsible for is the cost to ship it. No insurance means the contents have a value of zero.

-..-

As an online seller, there are times when the empty pocket is yours. There are lots of hazards out there, you have to figure out what your comfort zone is and how much you are willing to risk.

This evening I'll be making that choice when I decide to either use Small Packet USA or Expedited Parcel. Risk a $50 loss or increase my profit margin by $6 (the buyer paid for "free" shipping, so I have more flexibility with my decision).

-..-

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

So are you saying I shouldn't put tracking or insurance on anything below 500grams, no matter its value?

It's more complicated than that.
But isn't everything?

On items under 500 grams and 2cm thickness, you can use LetterPost/LightPacket shipping.
This is cheap and fast, but is not electronically trackable.

If the item is over 500grams or more than 2cm thick you must use a Parcel** service.
These are fast and trackable, but may not be cheap*.

So your $90 sale could have been sent by LP, provided it was thin and light enough.
Or it could have been sent Parcel, most of which are trackable, but it would cost you more.

Now.
Here's the Cookie Jar Insurance part.

You can choose to use LP shipping, which is not trackable, but it relatively cheap.
Most people are honest.
To avoid losses to scammers***, you add a few pennies to the asking or shipping price of each item you list.
Those virtural pennies go in your virtual Cookie Jar.
When you get a complaint about non-delivery on an untracked item, you go to the Cookie Jar and refund the unhappy buyer from all those pennies.
As mr. elmwood points out, you will probably take in more pennies than you will pay out. Just like a Real World insurance company.
Because most people are honest.
With the refund you send a polite note apologizing for the customer's disappointment and asking that the customer return the refund using Paypal's Send Money service when the item arrives.
And most of the time they will, because most people are honest.

There are some categories where honesty is overwhelmed by testosterone (games, motorcycle parts, sports cards and coins for example).
In those categories, the virtual pennies might have to turn into virtual nickels.

But this is business, not a urine production contest.

Just a final note. Although the selling price of your games was $90, that is not what you lost.
You lost the cost of shipping, the cost of eBay and Paypal fees, the original cost of the games (which should be discounted if the games were used personal property), and an amount for your time spent listing.
If this is not substantially less that $90, you are doing eBay wrong.

*Worth checking though since some services are surprisingly cheaper than others although they are faster.

** There are several Parcel services.
*** And it should be noted, sometimes, very rarely, the package really did not arrive.
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Some of your stuff is in a higher risk area and you take your chances without tracking.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

If you ship an item to the US, you can send with insurance and no tracking if sent by Light packet. Get private insurance through insurepost and it is way cheaper than tracking.

I use it all the time with discretion.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

On items under 500 grams and 2cm thickness, you can use LetterPost/LightPacket shipping.
This is cheap and fast, but is not electronically trackable.

If the item is over 500grams or more than 2cm thick you must use a Parcel** service.
These are fast and trackable, but may not be cheap*.

This is exactly what I do, as most of what I sell (used media from my personal collection) easily passes through the 2 cm slot and rarely exceeds 300g. I have yet to have anything I've sold (or bought, for that matter) get lost in the mail.

As mr.elmwood said earlier: "Why would I pay extra when I never lose anything?"

Yesterday I shipped an item from Edmonton, AB to St-Bruno, QC for $2.95. The cheapest tracked parcel service would have cost me over $14. I'll take my chances.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Put tracking on anything you can't afford to refund..

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Some of your stuff is in a higher risk area and you take your chances without tracking.

False.

1:1000 there is no risk. Put 50¢ away from each sale as an insurance fund.

Photobucket
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

not everyone sells used car parts which has been mentioned previously. Your model may not fit everyone elses so please let them make their own decisions.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Chit Chats has opened a branch in BC in East Richmond.  Use them to send your US packages.  Everything going to a USA address has tracking.  Even First Class Parcel for packages weighing under a pound--which is riduculously cheap at $3.65 usd and lower

Message 20 of 20
latest reply