Can anyone tell me how they handle the ebay.com vs ebay.ca is they are a Cdn. What sh I watch for?

cashminers
Community Member

If you want to use ebay as a business, how do you cope with the ebay.com vs. ebay.ca?  Watch do I watch out for other than paypal and their exchange rates.  The US has almost 400 mil people and Canada only about 38 mil.  It makes sense to try to utilize their market.  I'm worried about duties, taxes, etc and American suppliers vs Canadian.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Can anyone tell me how they handle the ebay.com vs ebay.ca is they are a Cdn. What sh I watch for?

watch out for other than paypal and their exchange rates. 

The PP exchange rates and fees are pretty much in line with the rates and fees of merchant credit card accounts.

Your commercial bank account manager can explain all this better than anyone here.

On the other hand, PP is the 800 lb elephant.

Buyers trust PP.

We have buyers who have been shopping with us for years, and even come into our B&M, but still pay by PP online.

I'm worried about duties, taxes, etc

American buyers can import up to $800 value (~$1000CDN) without duty.

There is no federal sales tax and the state taxes are not collected by the federal government.

NOTE: Do NOT attempt to collect sales taxes unless you are registered to remit them. The revenooers get tetchy about that.

If you are registered for GST/PST/HST talk to your accountant about tax rebates on exports.

and American suppliers vs Canadian.

Sell what you know: know what you sell.

It is best to buy locally at first.

And never sell anything you don't have in your hands.

If you don't have a commercial bank account, an accountant, and a GST number, you are running a garage sale.

Don't worry about it until you are grossing $30 000 annually.

But do keep track of all your income and outgo. You must report your eBay profits on your income tax form.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

"use ebay as a business"

???

What exactly do you mean?

You want your business to buy on eBay

...or to sell on eBay?

... do you already have a business? 

... or thinking of starting one?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Canada has a population of 35 million, The US is at 315 million.

Do you want to sell on eBay? What is it you want to know?

Photobucket
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

watch out for other than paypal and their exchange rates. 

The PP exchange rates and fees are pretty much in line with the rates and fees of merchant credit card accounts.

Your commercial bank account manager can explain all this better than anyone here.

On the other hand, PP is the 800 lb elephant.

Buyers trust PP.

We have buyers who have been shopping with us for years, and even come into our B&M, but still pay by PP online.

I'm worried about duties, taxes, etc

American buyers can import up to $800 value (~$1000CDN) without duty.

There is no federal sales tax and the state taxes are not collected by the federal government.

NOTE: Do NOT attempt to collect sales taxes unless you are registered to remit them. The revenooers get tetchy about that.

If you are registered for GST/PST/HST talk to your accountant about tax rebates on exports.

and American suppliers vs Canadian.

Sell what you know: know what you sell.

It is best to buy locally at first.

And never sell anything you don't have in your hands.

If you don't have a commercial bank account, an accountant, and a GST number, you are running a garage sale.

Don't worry about it until you are grossing $30 000 annually.

But do keep track of all your income and outgo. You must report your eBay profits on your income tax form.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks a million.  You answered my questions concisely.  Forgot about the GST number **bleep**. 

I'm not sure if we are required to collect taxes from our provinces if we are selling online.  I will check with my accountant but thanks for bringing that up for sure. 

Not sure I want to sell to the US at first even though you have so many more people.  Canadians are pretty discerning when it comes to buying online.  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

"I'm not sure if we are required to collect taxes from our provinces if we are selling online."

If you are registered with GST/HST you are required to remit GST/HST for sales of taxable products- the rate being based on each province (Ontario 13%, NS 15%, AB 5%, etc...) . The tax payable must be calculated on the total amount of the transaction, including shipping and handling.

If you are not registered with GST/HST, then there is no tax to collect, no tax to remit.

If your worldwide revenues (sales + shipping) exceed Cdn$ 30,000 you must register with GST/HST.

Consult a competent accountant familiar with your personal circumstances and specializing in mail order.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

The magic word being 'remit'.

You don't necessarily have to make the tax a line item as long as you send the government the right amount of tax based on what you sell.

If you are not registered with GST/HST, then there is no tax to collect, no tax to remit.

Do NOT collect anything if you are not registered.

Did we mention the tax credits on exports? You can in some circumstances get more back from GST than you send them.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply