Can you find out which transaction caused you a defect?

Is there a way to find out who left low DSR for you? I have only 5 feedback left in June, all seemingly very pleased buyers based on their comments but I received my first defect in the last couple of days where one of them left low DSR for shipping time and item not as described. I ship within 24 hours always and send a friendly reminder to every buyer that items are coming from Canada so to keep in mind the timeline quoted by the service I use. I have had no "where is my item" emails this month or even any inquiries. I have always had 5 stars for item description so more than anything I'm curious to know what transaction this was. I find it really troubling and underhanded almost when a buyer leaves a glowing feedback but then kills you with low DSR score causing a defect, which they believe is not traceable. I would much prefer up front communication where I don't get caught off guard with a defect and have the chance to make things right if necessary! I know that this can't be controlled but my natural curiosity wants to know which transaction this was! Thanks

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Hi! Go to:

Seller Dashboard

Expand the relevant one "0.25% of your Transactions had defects" (click the little wee arrow sign)

Then look for the wee words "To see what transactions had defects, download a report" (at the bottom under cancelled transactions)

If you click on that you can see, but normally it takes a few days after it was left before it shows up.... so patience will be required....

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I was snooping and I bet it is "lululemon embrace tank top black". Title says black, picture shows blue, item specifics says purple.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thank you! I will give it a try.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

You may be right. The top is actually black and gray.. I took a few different shots of it with different backgrounds as I often do as clothing tends to look very different on different monitors and backgrounds but think I clearly described it and included the stock photos clearly showing color. Good catch on the "purple" in the item specific. Must have forget to change from a previous list or was sloppy when using drop down options. Will run the report as earlier suggested and see if that is it. Buyer was in a remote part of B.C so maybe she felt shipping time was too long!! 90% of my buyers are from U.S and I always remind of shipping time so it would be really unfortunate if it is a Canadian buyer complaining of shipping time but certainly possible.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

So was it the one you thought it was?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Nope! It was a brand new buyer! I was her first transaction. It was free shipping to the U.S. I updated to trackable for her and even sent her an email explaining how she could watch the package since she was a newbie.  The entire lot of clothes was brand new with tags, over 20 pictures with descriptions. How can she score me low with description of items?? Plus the shipment arrived in 5 days to the U.S. Under the time Canada Post quotes. Is there anything I can do about this? Should I contact her so I have a thread of communication going? I cannot understand this one!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Well, great news. Since I had tracking and it arrived days before it was due, I have had the defect removed by customer service. Ended up with a great rep on the phone, he was able to see I had added tracking, that the buyer was brand new and that I had met all of my obligations to the buyer. I am assuming the brand new buyer did not understand how DSR works and made an error, as she left  very positive feedback. I always struggle with whether I should block brand new buyers with no feedback for this very reason but in my experience with what I sell, I would say more than 40% of my sales go to new buyers. I always make sure to communicate really well with them and usually that works. Knowing that ebay supported me on this one definitely reassures me that continuing to sell to new buyers should be ok! 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@amya4295 wrote:

Well, great news. Since I had tracking and it arrived days before it was due, I have had the defect removed by customer service. Ended up with a great rep on the phone, he was able to see I had added tracking, that the buyer was brand new and that I had met all of my obligations to the buyer. 

Wow, it's encouraging to finally hear a "good news" story in these situations, and that eBay actually did the right thing by you.  I'm so glad to hear this, for your sake and (perhaps) for the rest of us. 

A recent article in eCommerceBytes reported on some comments made by an eBay executive to the effect that eBay wanted to start "focusing on its core of smaller sellers".  This really caught my attention, as it's been a long time since anybody at eBay has mentioned "smaller" sellers.  Could this possibly mean that eBay is shifting its policy stance a little and is now going to do something concrete about the way the defect system sometimes unfairly punishes those of us who try hard, give great service but don't have a sales volume of hundreds per month to drop those defects off the back end and start fresh every three months? 

I've said ever since the defect system was introduced that it heavily favours big volume, retail sellers.  Perhaps eBay has been losing so many smaller, "boutique" sellers (who have gone on to more comfortable venues to sell) that it finally had to do something.  Sorry to say, but it sounds like eBay's typical method of shutting the barn door after the horse has fled.  

Your report here gives me some hope that if I can hang on for another few months, perhaps things will change to become slightly more favourable for the "little guy" on eBay. 

By the way, this also vindicates my own view that it's sometimes worth it to upgrade a buyer's shipping (at no charge to them) if I have an intuitive feeling about a transaction.  I probably would have done exactly what you did, given the number of items and a newbie U.S. buyer.  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Yes, it was well worth the extra fee dollars!! 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply