Canada Post 2015 Rates coming soon

Around this time of year, the new rates for Canada Post Parcel services are announced. I did a Google search and some announcements exist as of Dec 12, 2014. The actual new parcel rates will most likely show up this weekend or Monday. The announcement below has the overall percentage increase of parcel services.

Parcel Services Price and Service Changes effective January 12, 2015

Average price increase Domestic Prices for Domestic Parcel Services will increase by an overall average of 4.2 % for most customers.

USA/International Prices for USA/International Parcel Services will increase by an overall average of 1.8% for most customers.

One interesting announcement is the change to volumetric calculation for Express services. Instead of calculating with 6000 cu cm, they are using 5000 cu cm which is an indirect way of making a rate increase.

Here is a link to the announcement page at Canada Post.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/productsservices/rates.jsf

On the above page to the right are new 2015 Lettermail and Letter-post rate sheets.

Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

@Anonymous wrote:

Canada Post should retire Regular Parcel for domestic (Canada) as it is more expensive than Expedited Mail.

The over the counter rate for Regular Parcel is the same price (NOT more) as Expedited Parcel (which is available at the counter only if you have Venture One card).

When you buy your shipping though paypal (because of the discounts) then Expedited becomes cheaper than Regular parcel.

Message 21 of 75
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is more reasons to retire it, period!

Message 22 of 75
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/SBprices2015-e.pdf

2015 Lettermail vs Light Packet vs Small Packet Comparision

Canada - Lettermail 2014/2015 stamp rates (no change)
  up to 030g .. 0.85
031 to 050g .. 1.20
051 to 100g .. 1.80
101 to 200g .. 2.95
201 to 300g .. 4.10
301 to 400g .. 4.70
401 to 500g .. 5.05

USA - Lettermail / Light Packet / Small Packet (2015)
  up to 030g ..  1.20
031 to 050g ..  1.80
051 to 100g ..  2.95
  up to 200g ..  5.00  Light Packet
101 to 200g ..  5.15
201 to 300g ..  7.00  Light Packet
201 to 500g .. 10.30
251 to 500g .. 10.79 Small Packet (Air)
301 to 500g .. 11.75 Light Packet

251 to 500g .. 15.75 Tracked Packet

501g to 1kg .. 16.23 Small Packet (Air)

501g to 1kg .. 18.19 Tracked Packet

Price sweet spot for USA Light Packet between 101g and 300g.
Small Packet beats Light Packet for 301g to 500g range.

International - Lettermail / Light Packet (2015)
  up to 030g ..  2.50
031 to 050g ..  3.60
051 to 100g ..  5.90
  up to 200g ..  7.50  Light Packet
101 to 200g .. 10.30
201 to 300g .. 11.50 Light Packet
201 to 500g .. 20.60
301 to 500g .. 21.00 Light Packet

A price sweet spot for Light Packet between 101 to 300g.

Message 23 of 75
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Canada Post should retire Regular Parcel for domestic (Canada) as it is more expensive than Expedited Mail.

The over the counter rate for Regular Parcel is the same price (NOT more) as Expedited Parcel (which is available at the counter only if you have Venture One card).

When you buy your shipping though paypal (because of the discounts) then Expedited becomes cheaper than Regular parcel.

The over the counter rate for Regular and Expedited are the same except you can't buy Expedited unless you have a Venture One card and if you use your Venture One card you get a 5% discount. Thus they are NOT the same price at the counter.

Regular Parcel is for "regular" users meaning non-business users. you know the ones that show up at the counter with the package that has not been taped up enough (if at all) with no address on it and then they can't get their debit card to work after they pick themselves up off the floor when they find out how much it costs!

I certainly agree that having Regular Parcel available through PayPal shipping is just downright silly! I hold eBay responsible for that by extension, they are the ones that contracted with Pitney-Bowes.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 24 of 75
latest reply

051 to 100g ..  2.95 Letter-post

Wow! I think it's time to switch to below face stamps and use the letter-post!. All my items are below 100g, and 2 dollars really start to make a difference! And no hassle with all the forms to fill out (signature, date) .....

Last Friday I shipped 15 light packets, so only on that one shipment I would save 30 bucks!!!

Message 25 of 75
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

Wow! I think it's time to switch to below face stamps and use the letter-post!. All my items are below 100g, and 2 dollars really start to make a difference! And no hassle with all the forms to fill out (signature, date) .....

Last Friday I shipped 15 light packets, so only on that one shipment I would save 30 bucks!!!

Those rates are in effect next year (2015). The current (2014) difference is 84 cents (2.95 vs 3.79).

Message 26 of 75
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@38e_avenue wrote:

Those rates are in effect next year (2015). The current (2014) difference is 84 cents (3.79 vs 2.95).

So I am talking about 2015 prices. The difference is bigger - I pay 3.79 + TAX (4.36) using PayPal shipping.

Message 27 of 75
latest reply

Those rates are in effect next year (2015). The current (2014) difference is 84 cents (3.79 vs 2.95).

So I am talking about 2015 prices. The difference is bigger - I pay 3.79 + TAX (4.36) using PayPal shipping.

If the new price is 5.00, probably (as someone already mentioned above) the tax will be not charged,  so the new price will be in fact only (?) 66 cents higher. But are you really sure, they will not rise the US letter-post price? Will be still 2.95?

Message 28 of 75
latest reply

yet the Canadian dollar and gas has gone to **bleep** there's absolutely no reason the rates should rise.

I don't think i'm really effected by this let me know if i'm wrong but I sell stuff as letter mail from 50g to -200g most of the time have some parcels but this is stupid. I know we have not as many people as the U.S but the rising prices every year is getting old especially with gas the way it is this year surplus charges should go down evening this all out if it doesn't that's pretty ridiculous.

Message 29 of 75
latest reply

Those new Light Packet USA prices are brutal for me...

Thanks a lot CP Smiley Frustrated

But hey, I'm helping save the company right........

Message 30 of 75
latest reply

2015 may determine whether I keep hanging out, "Down by the Bay", OR head on, "Down the River"...Smiley Wink

Message 31 of 75
latest reply

38e_avenue wrote:

But are you really sure, they will not rise the US letter-post price? Will be still 2.95?

The stamp rate remains unchanged, those using metered mail will see their rates go up January 12.

For example the basic domestic letter rate goes from 0.75 to 0.77, while the stamp rate is unchanged at 0.85 (or 1.00 for those who buy stamps one at a time).

USA / International 2015 lettermail rate sheet:

www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/supportdocuments/lp_pricesheet_advanced_e.pdf

Message 32 of 75
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

The over the counter rate for Regular and Expedited are the same except you can't buy Expedited unless you have a Venture One card and if you use your Venture One card you get a 5% discount. Thus they are NOT the same price at the counter.

I certainly agree that having Regular Parcel available through PayPal shipping is just downright silly! I hold eBay responsible for that by extension, they are the ones that contracted with Pitney-Bowes.

The rates over the counter are the same -- if you have a Venture One card you get the same discount for regular or expedited parcel.  Although why anyone would use regular when they can use expedited is a bit of a puzzle -- perhaps they want slower delivery?

Message 33 of 75
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

To address the fatal errors of the ebay.ca Shopping Cart experience, I'd already begun the process of changing my listings from flat-rate to calculated so, unless I'm mistaken, the cost increase will automatically roll into calculated postage amounts. 

I'm not sure that changing to calculated will correct the "disconnect" between the eBay.com and eBay.ca cart functions, since that problem affects only buyers who make multiple purchases at one time.  It's a systemic programming fault that prevents buyers from putting more than one item in the .ca cart.  EBay.ca has yet to fix it, but single-item purchases (and their shipping amounts) should not be affected. 

Personally, I haven't changed my shipping rates since 2012.  For me it's a waste of valuable time.  I'll let the $Cdn currency exchange pay for the increases in 2015.  

As far as these CP increases go, I agree with what 'poco' said:  "Since there is no way around the increases, then a seller must analyze the changes and looks for what few positives there are in the changes. Knowing how to spot them and use them to a sellers advantage is important." 

The question for many of us is how many CP increases will finally be last straw.   

Message 34 of 75
latest reply

In 2015 it will cost you more to get scammed!!!!!

Message 35 of 75
latest reply

I'm not sure that changing to calculated will correct the "disconnect" between the eBay.com and eBay.ca cart functions, since that problem affects only buyers who make multiple purchases at one time.  It's a systemic programming fault that prevents buyers from putting more than one item in the .ca cart.  EBay.ca has yet to fix it, but single-item purchases (and their shipping amounts) should not be affected. 

I agree that  changing to calculated shipping shouldn't "help" any problems with the cart.   But I don't understand your comment about buyers not being able to put more than one item into the .ca cart. You can put multiple items into the .ca if you are shopping here or an another site that has a compatible cart...such as the Australian site.

The way that I look at it, the problem is not with the .ca cart. We can add items to the .ca cart from any country as long as their site has a cart. It is the .com cart that needs to be fixed as it can only add items that were listed on .com. The UK site works the same way. But the newer carts like the Canadian and Australian carts work with other sites.

Message 36 of 75
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

More searching and another document appears. This must be the correct one. The previous document above is marked confidential and does not have Light Packet but the one below does.

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/SBprices2015-e.pdf

Please note that the weight breaks for Light Packet have changed dramatically which affects the rates!!!

Light Packet USA rates

New 2015 rates (200g/300g/500g) $5/$7/$11.75

Old 2014 rates (150g/250g/500g) $3.98/$6.37/$10.66

Light Packet International rates also changed because of the new weight breaks.

New 2015 rates (200g/300g/500g) $7.50/$11.50/$21.00

Old 2014 rates (150g/250g/500g) $6.51/$10.46/$19.12

Argh. Most of my items are mailed with the 150g LP rate. Now I gotta add yet another buck to my listings next year... 

Message 37 of 75
latest reply

rose-dee wrote:

Personally, I haven't changed my shipping rates since 2012.  For me it's a waste of valuable time. 

Use the bulk-edit. You can change the shipping rate and item description within minutes for thousands of items at once. 

Message 38 of 75
latest reply

@007steveb16 wrote:

But hey, I'm helping save the company right........

Helping them? I will NEVER forget what they did to us in June 2011 Smiley Sad

Below the photo I took at the CP counter at this time ......

strike_2011.jpg

Message 39 of 75
latest reply

In 13 months 100 gram light packet has gone from 2.53 (and that was a big increase in 2013) to $5.  

I could ship my stuff to AMZN have them pack it, provide the packaging and ship it tracked...with canada post for just cents more the lettermail (thicker items actually cheaper)

Message 40 of 75
latest reply