Canada Post Government Study

"The House of Commons’ Standing Committee on Government Operations and Estimates (OGGO) would like to invite you to appear before the Committee in Winnipeg on Friday, October 21 from 8:30 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. in view of its study on Canada Post."

I get five minutes for a presentation and then they ask me questions.

Input. I need input. I really do not care what it is as I want all angles.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 222
latest reply
221 REPLIES 221

Cheap tracking within Canada.

Message 2 of 222
latest reply

Tracking to the US.

In the city CP is a business. In small towns it is a service. What is CP, then, a business or a service?

Photobucket
Message 3 of 222
latest reply

(1)  Canada Post is an essential service......  no more strikes....or ....  lockouts

(2) Many internet sellers are seniors looking to supplementary income...  any amount of postal stoppage or slowdown is damaging.

(3) Young people will sell to supplement earnings while attending college or university.  Some of this younger generation go on to establish successful internet businesses.

As sellers on the internet we rely upon Canada Post.... Internet sales are going up....  on eBay  as well as elsewhere....

We need Canada Post without any interruption in service......  and above all we need Canada Post defined as an essential service....

The uncertainty with respect to this past summer of 2016 was unacceptable....

Canada Post must make major changes.....and the only way to do so without question  would be with an act of Parliament.....

Message 4 of 222
latest reply

I like.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 222
latest reply

Lettermail, light packet are already expensive enough. Keep the yearly increases of postage limited to the consumer cost if living index.

Message 6 of 222
latest reply

Based on what Cumos said, I "think" I would like to keep this narrowly defined to eBay selling as that is whom I am representing.

This last summer was a nightmare of stress, closing, opening, loosing business because a service is pretending it is a business and impacted a lot of lives over money.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 222
latest reply

I will see you there, Mr. E. I received my invitation at lunchtime as well.
Message 8 of 222
latest reply

One other thing, I, and anyone else I have spoken to, do not need  letter mail delivery more than every other day - maybe even less. Not necessary these days when few items other than junk mail are found in my mailbox and so may people have computers or tablets. Yes, I am a senior and have to get my mail from a box at the end of my road, at least a half km walk. In the bad weather most people where I live only pick up their mail about once a week anyway.

Message 9 of 222
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheap tracking for worldwide not just Canada.  That way we can sell our small items and ship them at cheap tracking rates worldwide.

Message 10 of 222
latest reply

Include rates for 300g, 400g in US letter mail. Sometimes a craft magazine goes a few grams over 200 grams, and rate goes from $5.15 to $10.30.

Message 11 of 222
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

This was the original thread: http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Message-from-Andrea-Stairs-managing-director-of-eBay-Cana...

Good catch on the original thread.

I sent you a message.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 222
latest reply

I know that some will disagree but I think that they should go ahead with the community mailboxes with perhaps some special revisions for housebound people. As I've mentioned before, I've had a community mailbox since 2002 and it has never caused a problem for us.

I think that everyone here will want less expensive tracking although is that the type of thing that the committee will be looking at?   If they are looking at suggestions for rates etc. I would suggest that they have smaller price increments for international parcels.  For example, Rather than charge $9.78 for 250gr small parcel air  to the UK and $19.55 for 251-500gr they could increase the price in 100 or 200 gr increments up to 1 kg and after that increase it  at every 500gr. 

To increase parcels within Canada, they could start the pricing at at a lower weight/lower cost then they do now. (750gr). I don't mind payin $15 for a 1 kg parcel but $12 for a 100 gr isn't reasonable.

Offer a parcel service within Canada similar to small packet US

Message 14 of 222
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

One other thing, I, and anyone else I have spoken to, do not need  letter mail delivery more than every other day - maybe even less. Not necessary these days when few items other than junk mail are found in my mailbox and so may people have computers or tablets. Yes, I am a senior and have to get my mail from a box at the end of my road, at least a half km walk. In the bad weather most people where I live only pick up their mail about once a week anyway.

Good point.  It makes me wonder what all they meant by:

the goal of ensuring that Canadians receive quality postal services at a reasonable price.

If they are wondering about delivery then they should ask buyers not sellers.  Sellers want CONFIRMED delivery.  How often isn't that big a deal.  They could save a lot of money by making it 3 days/week instead of 5 and still keep everyone employed doing other related things. 

Message 15 of 222
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I know that some will disagree but I think that they should go ahead with the community mailboxes with perhaps some special revisions for housebound people. As I've mentioned before, I've had a community mailbox since 2002 and it has never caused a problem for us.

I think that everyone here will want less expensive tracking although is that the type of thing that the committee will be looking at?  

I strongly oppose the community mailboxes.  They cause too much inconvenience and difficulty for too many people.   🙂 

Good question about what the committee expects.  EBay sellers can only contribute so much.  Will it be taken seriously as representative of Canadian small businesses?  Is Canada Post actually going to DO some of the things suggested, like make all those things more affordable, in keeping with their goal?

How broadly will eBay sellers  be able discuss the extent of postal services at this conference?  How broadly can they be expected to discuss it? 

And how committed to offering improved services "at a reasonable price" is Canada Post?

Message 16 of 222
latest reply

Without Community mailboxes..... 

Door-to-door delivery  for each house on the route will be charged at $ 20 per month...

Then what about everyone on` the route that  gets everything  on the internet... and almost nothing in a mailbox.

The future  of mail delivery is community mailboxes.... Who will pay $20 each month for door to door delivery

Right now Canada Post must deliver mail five days  each week...  a legislated reality

This is all included in the first report by the Canada Post review committee.... a very interesting read....

Link to .....

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/examendepostescanada-canadapostreview/rapport-report/consult-eng.html

Message 17 of 222
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

(1)  Canada Post is an essential service......  no more strikes....or ....  lockouts

(2) Many internet sellers are seniors looking to supplementary income...  any amount of postal stoppage or slowdown is damaging.

(3) Young people will sell to supplement earnings while attending college or university.  Some of this younger generation go on to establish successful internet businesses.

As sellers on the internet we rely upon Canada Post.... Internet sales are going up....  on eBay  as well as elsewhere....

We need Canada Post without any interruption in service......  and above all we need Canada Post defined as an essential service....

The uncertainty with respect to this past summer of 2016 was unacceptable....

Canada Post must make major changes.....and the only way to do so without question  would be with an act of Parliament.....

Went and got a 2nd cup of coffee so I can come back and chew on this post it is SO good!  🙂 

No more strikes?  I wish!  I think that issue might be beyond the scope of what our seller reps are going there to discuss but if it were me I don't think I could resist sneaking in a little dig anyway even though I wouldn't want to be banned from the conference! 

Its not just seniors.  There are loads of people, seniors, and single parents, single people, the students you mention.  They all need to eat, to live.  There are not enough jobs at all for the people who need them.  Full-time work scarcely exists.  People with educations are offered part-time work, 12-18 hours/week at low wage.  Putting 2 or 3 of these together to try to get by but not always able because the jobs aren't there.  When this summer we saw what looked to be well employed and well paid people striking for still more, I had no sympathy at all.  Not when their actions caused serious hardship to others less fortunate.  I found that hard to stomach. 

I just don't think the eBay seller reps in the Wpg conference will be "heard" if they speak about that issue.  Maybe.  If the goal of the committee is to consider a balanced presentation with the view to offering affordable services (whatever those are) in the future, No More Strikes would make life better for sellers but I'm not sure if the reps here could get away with pointing that out. 

Message 18 of 222
latest reply

Canada Post has to do a major adjustment.....

and the only way to do this quickly is through an act of Parliament...

Canada Post is controlled by the Canada Post Corporation Act....  an act of Parliament

and a few other agreements and  legislation.

If nothing is done... and quickly....  the Committee Report states there could be no Canada Post 10 years from now...

As sellers on eBay we MUST step forward and support Canada Post  100 %  in everything Canada Post wants to do....  for if we do not........

Who will deliver our parcels 10 years from now?????

My error... The annual cost for maintaining door-to-door mail delivery is estimated as $22.... every residence on the route would pay that....  even those who do not need it....

annual cost  NOT  a monthly charge to each residence on the route.......

Message 19 of 222
latest reply

I am not willing to lose my to-door delivery.
Message 20 of 222
latest reply