Canada Post Government Study

"The House of Commons’ Standing Committee on Government Operations and Estimates (OGGO) would like to invite you to appear before the Committee in Winnipeg on Friday, October 21 from 8:30 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. in view of its study on Canada Post."

I get five minutes for a presentation and then they ask me questions.

Input. I need input. I really do not care what it is as I want all angles.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 222
latest reply
221 REPLIES 221

@mjwl2006 wrote:

My pride did have some difficulty in admitting that my sales have been continuing to struggle since summer and into fall but I thought it more important that the panel saw the effect of a broken stride (as a result of the labor disruption) than to save some face. I tried not to belabour the point and it was the one thing not questioned by any member of the panel so I assume that means they have heard all this before coming to Winnipeg. 

I've been wondering about this.  Initially I thought the CP labour issues were the culprit, but on further thought, I'm not so convinced.  

My sales have been dismal since August, in fact to be truthful I've had the worst September/October so far that I've ever had.  Over the years, the early autumn has always been the time period I could count on to make up for slower summer activity.  

Well, not this year, but I don't think I can blame it on Canada Post.  Why?  Because I sell almost exclusively to the U.S., and Americans were almost completely oblivious to our postal troubles.  As far as I know, eBay.com didn't run any up-front announcements about Canada Post that might have stuck in the minds of U.S. buyers.   

I can't account for slower Canadian sales into October, but I think something other than the results of postal woes during the summer is driving the slump now.  

Could it be as simple as buyers getting nervous over those "information" warnings from Google Chrome about non-secure pages?  With all the hacking going on in the world at the moment, we can hardly blame them.  Or could it be a sense of dread and insecurity over what is going on in the United States at the moment that is holding back discretionary spending?  

We must also remember that eBay's sites are a glitchy mess at the moment, that the checkout system still doesn't function smoothly and perfectly, and that eBay has a lot of aggressive competition these days.  

Any or all of these factors could play into a serious slump.  I think it's just an unfortunate coincidence that the Canada Post dispute occurred just prior to all of these new problems.  My bet is that we'll all see a sudden uptick in sales once the American election is over and things (hopefully) settle down again.  Fingers crossed...Woman Happy

Message 161 of 222
latest reply

I wanted to add that on another site on which I sell, where I have many more items listed than on eBay, the sales slump has been serious and long too.  At this time of year, things are usually far busier for me than almost any other.  

On that site, my sales are about 60% U.S., 40% overseas, virtually no Canadians.  So I can't see how the effects of this summer's Canada Post dispute would be carrying over into September/October for those buyers, who were largely unaware of our postal issues. 

We also have to remember the Brexit problem and the falling Pound.  U.K. buyers, who on the other site I use make up about 25% of all my sales, have completely vanished since August.  

Yet I suppose -- if I may be permitted this comment -- that Canada Post Corporation would like nothing more than to believe that the labour dispute this summer created a lasting and serious disruption for Canadian businesses, taking the wind out of their sails far into the autumn.  This would play into a conveniently strong back-lash message to the unions by CPC, i.e. "See what you did?  We can't allow this to happen again", and the legislative restrictions that may flow from that point.  There is nothing like public affirmation to push political agendas. 

So on further consideration, I expect that CPC is anticipating -- and probably hoping -- to hear this message from its business-owner participants, which is why I'm saying that we should be cautious about jumping to the conclusion that a continuing lack of sales is connected to this summer's postal issues. 

The reality was that (aside from the problems we eBay sellers thought we'd have because of the on-time metric), complete postal system disruption only involved a few days over the whole summer, a couple of weeks at most.  And as I've said, U.S. and overseas buyers were likely unaware there was a problem in the first place.  I can't see a Canadian postal tiff for a few weeks in the summer keeping American buyers away throughout October.  

I have no doubt other factors are primarily involved, as I said above.  Maybe the world is holding its collective breath waiting to see whether one individual will manage to destroy the entire balance of international trade and security. 

Message 162 of 222
latest reply

"

We must also remember that eBay's sites are a glitchy mess at the moment, that the checkout system still doesn't function smoothly and perfectly, and that eBay has a lot of aggressive competition these days.  "

ebay just reported q3, more or less  the same slow growth they've reported every quarter for 8 years.  Sold items up 5% from q3 2015

Message 163 of 222
latest reply

USPS is able to offer FREE electronic delivery confirmation for First Class International mail service ( small packets up to 4 pounds, and that includes Canada as a destination)  as long as the shipping label is printed on-line (not paid for at the postal counter) ... perhaps Canada Post can offer the same service for us to the US at least....?

Message 164 of 222
latest reply

@themodernowl wrote:

USPS is able to offer FREE electronic delivery confirmation for First Class International mail service ( small packets up to 4 pounds, and that includes Canada as a destination)  as long as the shipping label is printed on-line (not paid for at the postal counter) ... perhaps Canada Post can offer the same service for us to the US at least....?

We wish!  I think to ask CP do to anything for free would have them all doubled over with laughter.  Asking for realistically priced (aka cheap) tracking or even just an entry scan would be more likely to get taken seriously and maybe even materialize one day.  I would be willing to go as high as $2 but $1 would be better.  My concern with a $2 tracking addition is that sure enough, they'll hike the price as soon as they dare.  More than $2 is not my idea of "cheap" tracking because it starts getting into the problem of tracking being too costly again.  But I firmly believe with the technology already in place they could provide SOMETHING for a dollar or so.  We'll see. 

Message 165 of 222
latest reply

There will always be someone who figures out how to get an input scan  and then not ship the purchase.

Tracking... and without insurance would be a good option....  

Tracking shows delivery... and a buyer cannot claim they did not get their purchase...

Message 166 of 222
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

There will always be someone who figures out how to get an input scan  and then not ship the purchase.

I wondered about that.  I guess I felt some little thing, anything at all, would be an improvement over the current version of 100% risk to the seller, or high priced tracking that discourages buyers. 

There will always be people who figure out how to scam any system.  In my view the possibility that someone might find a way around something is not a good enough reason to discard it. 

Like other members here who feel that an entry scan at the very least would be better than nothing at all, if we are not to get cheap delivery confirmed tracking, I still think it is not a BAD idea.   Also, it might go a long way to show buyers that the item has been mailed and is in the system.  

cumos55 wrote: 

Tracking shows delivery... and a buyer cannot claim they did not get their purchase...

That's just the thing.  It doesn't actually STOP them from claiming they didn't get an item, although it does at least protect the seller.  I think there must be times when it is true, when the item was actually swiped from their doorstep.  My postal clerk said there was a problem with that recently north of Vancouver when CP finally figured out that someone was actually following the delivery truck and grabbing parcels that were left.  I also think there are people who will have their item and yet still imagine that if they just holler "not received" long enough they will be believed.  That is why I don't mind paying for signature confirmation myself for items valued a lot  less than PayPal's suggested $850 or whatever it is these days. 

Tracking with DELIVERY CONFIRMATION would be best of all if we could get it for less than $2 on a small lightweight item, and all those things that would fit in an envelope where now we have to decide if we accept the 100% risk to make a sale  or list with tracked postage over and over again.  

My reasoning for contemplating the idea of an acceptance scan may be similar to that of other people here who support it,  that if we are told "Nope, DC tracking is going to be expensive" then we start to look for a better-than-nothing compromise.

Message 167 of 222
latest reply

The full transcript of my testimony is now transcribed and publicly available as testimony here for anyone interested. 

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=e&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1&DocId=85288...

Ms. Stairs, ebay Canada Managing Director, also testified late last month. http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=e&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1&DocId=85545...

Raphael posted a link to ebay's blog earlier today that discussed that. http://www.ebaymainstreet.com/news-events/ebay-canada-head-testifies-canadian-house-commons

It seems like some of the sessions might be viewable as video. 

Message 168 of 222
latest reply

Excellent!  Thanks for taking the time to post all that for everyone.  This whole business will affect us all so it is very interesting to get a peek into how the process is going.  Were you 'videoed'?  I'd have been so nervous.  Hope you enjoyed doing it, in spite of all the work it took.

Message 169 of 222
latest reply

It was a very interesting experience. I'm fairly certain the roadshow-sessions weren't videotaped, only audio recorded. I seem to think the video icons only show next to the meetings that took place in Ottawa. I know that time is at a premium to most of us but if you can find time to read some of the testimony even from just random guests, it's also very interesting to see the different perspectives of people who appeared to testify. As an example, I'm thinking about residents of Corner Brook who talked about the impossibility of Community Mailboxes in their neighbourhoods. I have my own thoughts on Community Mailboxes but I live in the midst of a big, flat Prairie. We don't all face the same geographical challenges. 

I hope that a transcript of Ms Stairs' testimony will also become available in time. (This service is a few weeks delayed.) I look forward to reading what she had to say. 

Message 170 of 222
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

The full transcript of my testimony is now transcribed and publicly available as testimony here for anyone interested.  

I haven't had time to do much checking on this, but thank you for posting the links.  The link to the ebaymainstreet item on Ms. Stairs' presentation mentions you but no one else.  

Do you think you may have been the only eBay seller to testify before the Committee?  I'd be curious to know if there were any others, since there are a lot of us eBay Canada sellers out here.  Maybe no one else was able to find the time, which now makes me feel rather sheepish and without much excuse, since this was more or less my bailiwick for several years (lobbying -- for lack of a better word -- to government on behalf of the arts).  But I'm older and more tired of the fray nowadays.  Whatever happened to "Mr. Elmwood" I wonder? 

Message 171 of 222
latest reply

I am unsure whether I was the only eBay seller to speak to the Standing Committee on Canada Post. The list of witnesses numbered somewhere in the range of 190 when last I looked but I cannot be certain I would recognize another eBay seller on the list if not identified as such by user name or store name and even then I couldn't claim that I'd immediately see it as such unless they were regular contributors to the Discussion Board. Certainly, the list of witnesses seemed well-populated by chambers of commerce, seniors groups, lobby groups, unions and their representatives speaking as individuals too. Also municipal leaders, and some big names in mail-order like from garden and seed catalogues. 

The ebay Canada office was very supportive in answering my questions about the process to expect in advance of the Winnipeg session. I had also been speaking to Mr. E up to and including that time so I don't know what came to pass with his plans to attend that morning. He hasn't been on the Boards lately, I hope he is well. 

Message 172 of 222
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I know that time is at a premium to most of us but if you can find time to read some of the testimony even from just random guests, it's also very interesting to see the different perspectives of people who appeared to testify. 

Agreed, yes.  I read the whole thing.  It is very long, true, but all was interesting from start to finish.  It was so long and so engrossing that by the time I got to the end I forgot where I was reading it.  I forgot what else there was.   🙂 

You were definitely the star of that production.  Maybe not the "rock star" you would like to be but that too might come later. LOL! 

I recall how you said you were reading over some report or other in advance, that was smart.  You had solid, professional, informed and intelligent answers every time.  I could never have done all that but I am able to admire the ability in another. 

As there is no mention of anyone else I would say that mjwl was the only eBay seller to speak.  There is no mention of any other and had anyone else from eBay shown up, such a person would certainly have been mentioned and not left out. 

What happens with Canada Post will be important in the lives of all here so I hope everyone will go fix a snack and come back and read over it.  Well worth it.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=e&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1&DocId=85288...

Message 173 of 222
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

You had solid, professional, informed and intelligent answers every time. 

I second that statement.

Well done!  

I read your comments but stopped short of reading the entire transcript from start to finish.  

Message 174 of 222
latest reply

I am listening to Ms. Stairs testimony at the moment. I can hear audio but I am unable to view video. She is very well spoken.

Does this link work for anyone else?

http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/XRender/en/PowerBrowser/PowerBrowserV2/20161031/-1/26061?globalstreamId=14&...

If it does, I encourage everyone interested to have a listen.

Message 175 of 222
latest reply

I can see the video and hear the audio just fine.
Message 176 of 222
latest reply

I strongly encourage everyone to listen to Ms. Stairs' testimony. It is very enlightening. I think we all benefit from hearing what she says directly to the Standing Committee on Canada Post. 

Message 177 of 222
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I am listening to Ms. Stairs testimony at the moment. I can hear audio but I am unable to view video. She is very well spoken.

Does this link work for anyone else?

http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/XRender/en/PowerBrowser/PowerBrowserV2/20161031/-1/26061?globalstreamId=14&...

If it does, I encourage everyone interested to have a listen.

You need Adobe Flash added to your browser and then enabled in your browser to see the video. I use FireFox and have Adobe Flash addon installed but have it turned off with option to prompt me when needed. Adobe Flash is not supported in Google Chrome I believe any more. Adobe Flash is not a safe product and is being discouraged from being used by major browsers and web sites.

Message 178 of 222
latest reply

Thank you. I knew my problem was related to Flash but I had already downloaded and installed the latest version of it so I don't know the reason I was still meeting resistance at the link. I was happy to be able to listen to it at least. I'm planning to have another go at it later today.

It's fascinating stuff, this Canada Post process. I hope everyone who was able submit their online opinions about the future of the postal system in Canada when that option was still open and available. 

Message 179 of 222
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I am listening to Ms. Stairs testimony at the moment. [...] She is very well spoken. 

I've just spent the time to slog through the whole of Ms. Stairs' testimony before the Committee.  I'm sorry to say so, but I found her presentation disappointing at best, disgustingly predictable as the "eBay line" at worst, for several reasons.  I apologize in advance for what is going to be a lengthy post, but I'm rather outraged at Ms. Stair's performance, not unlike my reaction to her CBC "interview" recently. 

Firstly, she needs some serious coaching in elocution and delivery.  A person in her position should be able to read a prepared statement publicly without racing through it with hardly a breath between sentences, garbling words, nervously tripping over key points, and slurring consonants.  I found it very hard to follow.  This however is a minor criticism in comparison to the actual content, and to her answers to the various Committee members.

To summarize my reaction: 

1) Most concerning, to my mind, was Ms. Stairs' repetition of the need for "tiered" Canada Post services, saying that what is needed is a "slower" CPC parcel service level with tracking, that could be offered at a lower price than the faster tracked services.  She even implied that CPC should make this "slower tracked" service a ground-only service.  There was an audible "OMG" from someone on the Committee at these suggestions. 

We should look critically at this disingenuous suggestion:

Nowhere during the presentation did Ms. Stairs happen to mention that it eBay itself created the tracking crisis for Canadian sellers, particularly for those of us who ship mainly to the U.S.  The fact is that, prior to eBay's introduction of its on-time delivery policy, we already had an extremely reliable, reasonably-priced and adaptable air parcel services in Canada Post's Light and Small Packet USA.  

What has changed?  EBay rules, that's what.  Most of us using were happily using CPC's Light/Small Packet to the U.S. before eBay altered the game.  Sadly (for all of us), Ms. Stairs chose not to educate the Committee on this critical point, and it appeared, from their questions, that none of the Committee members were aware enough of this issue to ask the question: why doesn't eBay alter its rules for Canadian sellers rather than asking Canada Post to solve a problem that eBay created?

2)  Stairs bungled an attempt at replying to a question about the use of private delivery services during the postal dispute, revealing a hint of eBay's real agenda.  She stated that the use of such private services affected Canadian eBay sellers' conversion rates, not sellers' margins.    

A Committee member then pointed out, quite rightly, that the rational conclusion from this statement was that eBay's income would be affected if sellers were forced to use private delivery services.  In other words, eBay is worried about its bottom line, and not primarily concerned about its sellers' viability when it makes this argument.  She had no decent response to this fair question, but fumbled around until she managed to change the subject.  An illuminating moment, I'd say, in which Stairs got caught in her own double-speak. 

3)  Last but not least, Ms. Stairs was no doubt tasked by San Jose to push the ask for a rise in the de minimus (allowed ceiling for personal imports into Canada).  She brought it up several times.  Her statements on this topic have never made any coherent sense, and once again reveal that eBay's main concern is for their American operation, not primarily for Canadian sellers or Canada Post's viability in serving that cohort.  

She was asked directly how raising the de minimus would help Canadian sellers.  She replied that it was a "huge pain point" for sellers in terms of inputs, and on paying duties and taxes on eBay returns.  Both of these arguments are weak smokescreens for an entirely different agenda.  In truth, the most predictable result of our government raising the Canadian de minimus would be an enormous increase in purchases by Canadian buyers from U.S. sellers, i.e. a direct increase in revenue for eBay.com.  She didn't mention this, nor how this would mainly benefit Canadian eBay sellers (aside from those who purchase goods directly from the U.S. to re-sell from within Canada). 

Later she claimed that raising the Canadian de minimus would have the effect of increasing Canada Post parcel business.  On this point, when a Committee member asked her the logical question of whether the recent rise in the U.S. de minimus (it was raised from US$200 to US$800) had increased parcel levels for USPS, she was caught off guard, protesting her lack of knowledge about USPS, until the matter was out of time.  

If she was going to make this argument, she should have realized someone might draw the analogy.  Arguing for an increase in the Canadian de minimus, ostensibly as a reason for Canada Post to support it, is completely disingenuous on the part of eBay, and she likely knows it.  EBay HQ isn't pushing this for Canada Post's benefit, nor for the benefit of Canadian eBay sellers, but for the benefit of eBay's bottom line through U.S. eBay sellers (who provide the larger part of eBay's revenue stream). 

Finally, faute de mieux I suppose, the earlier arguments having made no impact, Ms. Stairs stated that, well, the mere fact the de minimus was over 20 years old meant it should be changed.  We Canadian sellers should remember that this low de minimus was put in place for a reason -- to protect Canadian retailers from being put out of business by losing their Canadian customers to the gigantic U.S. market. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

So, is this eBay representing us to Canada Post in good faith as Canadian sellers?  Or is it eBay hoping to use our government and services (CPC) to clean up eBay's own mess and accommodate sellers for whom eBay, practically overnight, made business here more difficult?  It certainly looked like the latter to me.   

Andrea Stairs is speaking for her big bosses in San Jose, not as an advocate for Canadian eBay sellers.

Message 180 of 222
latest reply