Canada Post Mistakes!

I sent an item to a customer via regular post and Canada post returned it to me almost a week later.

It had a sticker over where the senders address label was affixed saying unbelievable/moved.

I took that sticker off and my mailing label had been torn off.  And the return label look tattered.

I contacted the buyer on 14/07/16 and verified his address in paypal was correct.  I explained what happened and sent him ocs of the returned item.  And advised I would resent straight away.

Today the seller opens a request for a refund.

The buyer knows what happened isn't my fault and clearly is just trying to get a refund/free item, but I refunded him anyway knowing he will get the game tomorrow.

Has Canada post ever let you down like this?

Thanks for letting me vent!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Canada Post Mistakes!

How thick was the item?

LetterPost/LightPacket envelopes that are more than the regulation 2cm thick can get caught in the machinery.

I suspect that is how yours lost its address label.

Most people don't realize how mechanized postal terminals are. And machinery is not forgiving.

and sent him ocs of the returned item.  And advised I would resent straight away.

Not sure what an ocs is. I presume you reshipped with a good label on the 14th.

Today the seller opens a request for a refund.

When was the original shipment sent? (The one that was returned.)

As far as eBay is concerned, the rest of the story didn't happen.

Did you use a Confirmed Delivery service for the second shipping?

Without that number you will lose the Item Not Received dispute.

So.

On to protecting your assets.

You've been in polite conversation with the buyer.

And let's face it, at this point, she probably hasn't received the item (yet).

If you used Confirmed Delivery/tracking give the Dispute the number.

That should give you enough time for it to arrive.

If you didn't, refund the buyer.

Sorry.

Then with the refund, send a polite note asking that when the parcel arrives, that she return the refund using Paypal's Send Money Service.

You might make the requested refund less than the original payment, to make up for the customer's upset and concerns.

You and I may not agree with the customer, but her concerns are valid.

She really doesn't have her purchase.

And the reason for the original return was either that your packaging was insufficient for safe transit OR that your sub-contractor messed up. You are responsible in both cases.

Again, sorry.

There is no way that I can see to make this profitable, at best we can mitigate damage to your seller account.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post Mistakes!

Thanks for your input.

.I use 6x9 bubble mailers with Avery adhesive labels.  I ship tons of games this way without any issue.  Tracking/confirmation and all of that just isn't economical.  I offer free same day shipping and so far no issues aside from this and the occasional fraudster who I just pay off to not neg me.

I posted the item same day it was paid for on June 27th and was returned to me on the 14th of July.  with a Canada post sticker stating Un deliverable /Moved.

the envelope looked like it had been through some sort of ordeal.  I contacted the customer, showed them a pic of the envelope and confirmed with them the address I was shipping to was valid.    I also opened a case with CP for all the good that will do.

I apologized and advised the customer I would reship immediately which I did.

I know the Item is not there yet but they are stating they are not happy/sick of waiting, so I just refunded them,explained the situation again, and advised to keep the game for their trouble,as I don't want to get a neg (which so far I haven't)  

99,9% of the time the customer gets the item very quickly and is happy, but this time things went wrong, and the customer wasn't very understanding or willing to way for the item to be reshipped.

Nyd

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post Mistakes!

A lot of labels do not stick, poor glue quality. The CP CN22 never did stick well at all.

Since I switched to the free CP labelopes, zero problems. Those things do not come off.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post Mistakes!

"Canada post sticker stating Un deliverable /Moved."

It would not be the first time Canada Post returns a parcel with the wrong reason given on the label.

Does your bubble mailer, once filled with the product and sealed measure more than 20mm (2cm) in thickness?  That could be the problem.

The fact you may have shipped hundreds of parcels with 22 mm thickness previously without problem is unfortunately meaningless.  If the parcel is thicker than 20mm (2cm) it could have been rejected by Canada Post sorting machine and returned to you for additional postage.

The buyer has filed a claim for non receipt, that is normal and no cause for alarm.  If you were the buyer and a seller gives you some "excuse", you may want to do the same to protect yourself. Once the buyer receives the item he will withdraw the claim and everything will be fine.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post Mistakes!

@pierrelebel wrote:

It would not be the first time Canada Post returns a parcel with the wrong reason given on the label.

Does your bubble mailer, once filled with the product and sealed measure more than 20mm (2cm) in thickness?  That could be the problem.

The fact you may have shipped hundreds of parcels with 22 mm thickness previously without problem is unfortunately meaningless.  If the parcel is thicker than 20mm (2cm) it could have been rejected by Canada Post sorting machine and returned to you for additional postage.

The buyer has filed a claim for non receipt, that is normal and no cause for alarm.  If you were the buyer and a seller gives you some "excuse", you may want to do the same to protect yourself. Once the buyer receives the item he will withdraw the claim and everything will be fine.

Accurately, how thick are your packets?

Photobucket
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post Mistakes!

True although in this case the address label had been torn off so 'undeliverable' sounds right to me. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post Mistakes!

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Rarely but wierd things happen.  I've had ones returned marked wrong address/undeliverable with the address label intact, remailed to the identical address and delivered fine the 2nd time.  I've had a few returned inexplicably  to me with not a mark on them.  Have had ones returned with an indication to add $X in postage, to make a rate that does not exist in the rate schedule.  Had part of an envelope returned (all that was left) with an explanation letter after the mail box was set on fire.  Luckily its a neglible %.

Having mailed a lot of the same things you are, I'd say by far the least likely thing to ever cause a problem is the thickness.  

Then there are the surprising number of people who actually bought with the wrong address or didn't add an appartment number and they ended up returned because of that.  I suspect that probably happened with some of the non receipt claims the buyers didn't admit to and items didn't get sent back.  Send stuff with no tracking and you have to put up with this on occasion

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post Mistakes!

Thanks for your input.

Yeah the items are all the same size dvd cases and fit through the slot of doom without issue.  

I wasn't as concerned about the money as I am about getting a negative from an annoyed customer.

So if I just told him to wait with no refund I could tell by the tone of his message I would get a neg because it took twice as long to arrive.

Though I dunno why I bother, I can't seem to get top rated seller I offer 30 days returns, free shipping, I have 100%, 430 positive

feedback.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post Mistakes!

How to become a Global Top Rated seller:  http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/top-rated.html

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post Mistakes!

@nyder_inc wrote:

Thanks for your input.

Yeah the items are all the same size dvd cases and fit through the slot of doom without issue.  

I wasn't as concerned about the money as I am about getting a negative from an annoyed customer.

So if I just told him to wait with no refund I could tell by the tone of his message I would get a neg because it took twice as long to arrive.

Though I dunno why I bother, I can't seem to get top rated seller I offer 30 days returns, free shipping, I have 100%, 430 positive

feedback.

Why? eBay considers feedback to be irrelevant. It is just an "opinion" justified or not.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post Mistakes!

Why? eBay considers feedback to be irrelevant. It is just an "opinion" justified or not.

Regardless of what eBay thinks, no seller wants a neutral or negative feedback. 

It's a psychological thing....

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post Mistakes!

@silverpinups wrote:

Regardless of what eBay thinks, no seller wants a neutral or negative feedback. 

It's a psychological thing....

Psychological is emotions. There is no room for emotions in business. Separate the two.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post Mistakes!

Psychological is emotions. There is no room for emotions in business. Separate the two.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Our emotions dictate how we conduct ourselves in every day situations including work, relationships and daily living. 

There is no separating the two unless you a Vulcan....

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post Mistakes!

marnotom!
Community Member

@nyder_inc wrote:

I sent an item to a customer via regular post and Canada post returned it to me almost a week later.

It had a sticker over where the senders address label was affixed saying unbelievable/moved.

I took that sticker off and my mailing label had been torn off.  And the return label look tattered.

I contacted the buyer on 14/07/16 and verified his address in paypal was correct.  I explained what happened and sent him ocs of the returned item.  And advised I would resent straight away.

Assuming that the Canada Post sticker said that the item was "undeliverable" rather than "unbelievable" perhaps the problem isn't that the item couldn't be delivered to the address on the "to" label, but that there was no "to" label for a carrier to use?  How would the carrier know where to deliver it?

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Canada Post Mistakes!

From the viewpoint of the Seller Account and for eBay, poor feedback is not important.

But from the viewpoint of our customers, negative (and to a lesser extent neutral ) FB is a big turnoff.

We've all seen members getting their knickers in a twist because a mega-seller and 200 negs-- even though they have 50,000 positive FB and a 100% FB rating.

No seller has to worry about her account when she gets a neg, but she should be concerned about the PR value of her damaged FB for future customers.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply