Canada Post Problem with Parcel Not Being Scanned

Hi Guys,

I've been selling on ebay for years anything and everything whenever I upgrade my phones and electronics.

This past weekend, I parted out my gaming computer and sold most of it on ebay. I bought Expedited Parcel labels using Paypal.

I dropped one item off on Monday to a Post Office within a Canada Post in a local Shoppers Drug Mart. It was a video card worth about  $175.00. I gave the parcel to a Postal worker behind the counter and left.

It is now Friday and the item still does not show as Accepted in the Post Office. I've never had this happen before.

I called Canada Post last night and they are putting an investigation in. 

My question is this - I physically gave the parcel to a woman. My ebay buyer wants to know why it hasn't shipped yet when It did, the day he paid.

Am I going to be totally screwed over here because the item was scanned? I did buy full insurance to cover it, but I'm concerned since it was never scanned, they will use that as a out.

I know for sure if Canada Post screws me over, I'm going public with this in newspapers and Social Media big time.

Anyone ever have any experiences like this?

I recommend you make them scan the item before you leave, right then and there.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

I am going to this Canada Post location today on my lunch break to discuss this in person with the Post Office as well.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Hi you can also contact     canadapost.ca/retail or write to N1020-2701 Riverside Dr., Ottawa, On.,K1A-0B1   Make sure you give location and approximate time so they the goes to the deserving employee.

My postal office gives receipts for scan products. 

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

cbsalesnb
Community Member

I have actually had this happen a few times. So far it hasn't caused an issue.

One, I dropped off, and it was delivered before I received ANY feedback on the tracking page. Then all of a sudden a few day's worth of updates showed up, but still not the original. "Accepted at the post office" update.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing is new!!  I shipped many items by using Expedited or XpressPost across Canada and to USA and too often my local post office don't scan them.  I have met with the manager of my local post office to discuss it and he ensure me that he will make sure that all employees do that all the time.

It is so silly because I have a huge neon green sticker on each package saying "PLEASE SCAN IT" and yet they cannot see it.  Surely they have to look at shipping labels to know where to ship them to??  It is unacceptable.

I felt that it is time that we who use Expedited or XpressPost with tracking numbers to file a claim for refund as they are not being scanned, to get refund.  It should wake them up and change their "lazy" ways of doing them.  Can we get all of you do that, call the free toll number and demand for a refund of each package?  I beleive that if we can do that, I am sure Canada Post will have to change that "lazy" ways of doing them and start to scan each item all the time without fail.

It is bad enough that we paid a lot of $$$ and they cannot do their jobs like scanning them.  What on earth for are we paying lots of $$$ for tracking numbers??  They are the ones that scammed us!!  They offer us the mail service with tracking number, therefore, they must take responsiblities to ensure that they are being scanned all the time to make our $$$ worthwhile.

Please call Canada Post at the free toll number and file for a claim.  I am sure they will say no but you can go to Ombusdman and file for it.  I have already did a few times and am still waiting to hear from them.

Every time I shipped any packages with tracking number and when I didin't see them being scanned at my local post office after a few days, I called them each time. 

We can try and change their "lazy" ways of doing it and stop taking advantage of us by offering this mail service and not doing their jobs!!  Thanks.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Its the scanning when its delivered that is the important part.  You could drop them in a mail box where there is no one to scan the,  Thats why its called "delivery confirmation"and not "acceptance confirmation"

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Do you ask the clerk to scan the item? Or do you place it on the counter and leave?

I work part time at a Postal Outlet. We are a very busy Outlet, we consistently have the highest revenue in the GTA. Thus, there is always tons of customers at any given time of the day. We have customers that trust us enough so that they leave their prepaid parcels at the side counter, and leave. They don't even say that they are leaving it there, they just do. If I ever see parcels on the side, I always grab them and scan, regardless of any lineup. Because of us being such a busy Outlet, my manager expects us to do this. If your outlet isn't run by that philosophy, it could be that your parcel is left on the counter until the driver comes to pick it up. Then it would be scanned after being brought to the sorting plant, which would mean no "Item Accepted at Post Office" scan. I would recommend waiting in line when bringing your parcels to an Outlet. That way you would see your items being physically scanned.

Just my two cents..

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why should we wait in the line so they can scan my parcels?  They are supposed to be "trained" to do so like scanning them, period!!

As for anyone who complain about them not being scanned, how about you calling the head office of Canada Post to file a claim for refund for parcels that are not scanned for all $$$ you paid for tracking number??  We need all of you to call them and demand it.  It may change the way they handle with any packages with tracking numbers.  Never mind if they are ovewhelmed, they are trained to do so, period.  Let them earn their wages by doing the right job, it includes to scan every paracels with the codes, period!

So how about it?   I cannot do everything for all of you, I need more of you to do it to change it.  Thanks.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

I'm not saying you should do anything. If you want to make sure your items are scanned right away, hand them over directly and watch them being scanned.

In your rant, I'm getting a bit confused. Are you talking about tracking not updating at all? Or just the origin scan? If it's just the origin scan, then you should try to Outlet's manager first to complain. As all Postal Outlets are not owned or operated by Canada Post, going to CP directly would delay the issue. Speak with the Outlet's manager. That way, you're dealing with Manager --> Clerk instead of CP ---> Manager ---> Clerk

I've worked with 3 different outlets in my short career. The "training" is not the greatest. If you ask the same question at two different outlets, you may get two different answers. Don't take this the wrong way, there are tons of very knowledgable postal clerks working in outlets. You may just be unlucky and keep getting one that isn't properly trained? Or isn't taking his/her job seriously...

Try going to outlets in the morning rather than afternoons, evenings. From what I've learned, full time clerks and managers who are (generally) more knowledgable work morning shifts. The afternoon, evening shifts are normally taken by part time clerks who may not have the knowledge/experience of a full time clerk.

If you want to use wages as a way of proving your point with CP, go ahead. But, don't use it against the outlet clerks. We get overworked and underpaid. Outlet clerks RARELY get paid over minimum wage. I've been working at an outlet for over 3 years and just BARELY make over the $11/hour mark.

If you still think this is all BS... Why don't you go directly to an actual Canada Post post office? Not an outlet... All the employees there are CP trained, should be fully knowledgable, and make the big $$.

/rant

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Collector, you are wrong. Scanning in is not required. I seldom see it done anywhere, PO or RPO.

Mercurio, nice to have a post office ckerk to refer to. I assume you work in a RPO? That is a tough job. I am well known at the RPO I deal with. I have plenty of time built into my schedule, so, I can wait in line when need be.

One of the things I do is make eye contact with the clerk, smile and wink, especially when there is a difficult customer in front of me. I get told "Don't do that! giggle-giggle". It throws them off and they want to laugh.

Collector, they get paid poor money. They get yelled and screamed at a lot.  You should be more tolerant period!!!!! You should try doing that job period!!!!

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Yes, Inuk. I work in a RPO. I tried getting into a CP PO, but they won't hire part time students that are just trying to find a way to pay their tuition (._. )

What you do with the clerks is great! I have customers that I know use Paypal shipping and drop off loads of boxes at a time. They wave and smile and that recognition to me, signifies that they are leaving their parcels. If they don't make an attempt to catch my attention, I may not know they leave parcels on the side.

Honestly, being a postal clerk is a rotten job. I've been threaten, hit, called scum, the whole 9 yards. If I was getting paid CP money, okay I'll deal with it. But for $11/hour, I think I may start looking for a new employer.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

aqyera
Community Member

I've been threaten, hit, called scum, the whole 9 yards.

voila, tuition money

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Let me know how it goes because I've had the same problem. I dropped off a package at the post office on Monday and it still does not show Accepted at Post Office.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

It was a light punch, nothing too crazy.

The security guard did tackle him, though.I had a good laugh

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Merc, I worked in liquor stores for 35 years. The last ten years I was mgmt in "challenging" stores. One Tuesday in Sept, 2009. I had contact with the police sight times, in ONE day. I had shoplifters, guys buying for minors, staff assaulted. The whole day and evening became a COPS episode. Apparently, the cops have a way of allowing certain phone numbers through as priority. At the end of the day, I was getting through without hearing the phone ring. Dial and it was answered immediately.

I know a lady who quit being a travel agent because the abuse was so bad. She told me a story of how a client phoned her from Fiji and SCREAMED at her because it was raining, in Fiji, on his vacation. She now works in a homeless shelter because theer is less abuse.

A few years back when the RPO was at the 7-11, I come in and some big guy 6'4", 225 lbs is screaming at Bee-Bee behind the counter. Bee-Bee is a tiny woman from Guyana. Easy twice her size. Not satisfied with threatening her, he goes after me because I stood up for her.

Idiot was wearing a company uniform driving a company truck. I phoned his employer. He got fired that day. Merc, I got one back for every retail clerk everywhere.

About a year ago, I am at the RPO, got a pile of parcels, everything filled in, just gotta do multiples and printing off postage. Takes a few minutes. Some old dude in line behind me starts with "Is this gonna take long? I need a stamp." Guy had the "I'm a whiner" thing going full blast. Clerk has her eyes down, obviously trying to stay calm.

I turn to the guy, got one back for all of us, and said "I'm spending $200. What are you spending, like 19¢? You can wait a minute we are almost done."

At the Safeway Pharmacy a month ago. The clerk is just a front end cashier girl. She's not a doctor, a pharmacist, a psychologist, none of that. It was senior's day. Every customer was a day's worth of effort. Everyone seemed to be reaming her out. She's about ten minutes into her shift and ready to quit.

I turn it on. I'm smiling. I'm pleasant. I tell her to take her sweet time with me. Grab a few breaths. Go slower than slow because, unlike everyone else, I have 29 YEARS to get this done. Unlike those people who want this done NOW PERIOD , I have time. I always have time. I refuse to be in a hurry or rush anyone. A couple minutes with me and she calmed right down.

Merc, I have your back.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

That's amazing, Inuk! I wish I had at least one customer like you a day! Would make the whole day brighter!

You're a great person, Inuk.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Merc, you probably do. My staff would get one NOW PERIOD screamer and it would haunt them  for the whole day. I tried and tried to get them to remember the thousands of absolutely great people they always get. Never would work.

I would say to customers "You are a very good customer". They would object saying they were seldom in and spent very little. I had to explain to them that they were always pleasant, polite, had their money ready, said please and thank you.

I watch customers. As soon as the transaction is done, before the receipt prints, they are out the door and gone. Cashier is stuck saying thank you to the back of a head.

I stand there. I turn and fully face the clerk. I wait for the receipt. I extend my hand. They thank me and I thank them and I ALWAYS leave them a smile.

Just how tough is it to be pleasant and polite to a store clerk? Seconds in a day?

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Darn it Merc, now you have me going. After decades of being yelled at, screamed at, hit, pushed, shoved, life threatened, lied to, I will not tolerate it being done to others.

Had some work done on the car. Cdn Tire. Lady at the till is just one of the front end ladies. Her turn to get stuck in automotive. They get screamed at a lot down there. Julie was her name. Mid 40's, whatever. Very nice looking. Makeup and hair nicely done for work, to get screamed at.

It was wearing on her, I could see it on her face. I smile, idle banter. At the end, I stop looked her dead in the eye and said "Thank you Julie, you are a very beautiful woman" and turned to leave. Shock, awe, then her face started glowing. She can go home and say "Someone was nice to me today". That was 4 months ago and I have had no need to go back.

Few years back, RPO at 7-11, Bee-Bee again. Christmas, day before. I always buy a few boxes of chocolates for the clerks at Christmas. Guy ahead of me was VIP. LOOK AT ME! I AM VERY IMPORTANT! Buying a manila folder for some VERY IMPORTANT PAPERS!.

Takes the cellophane wrap off, crumples it, and tosses it on the counter. Of course it expands back to it's original shape. Mr Important says to Bee-Bee "There's a Christmas present for you". I said to his face "Funny. I got them boxes of chocolates for Christmas".

Suddenly Mr PERIOD had to leave.

Pay it forward.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

To inuk, really???!!!  All parcels were dropped off at the Canada Post with a real logo and the whole works!  And why the heck are we paying a lot of $$$ for mail service with tracking numbers??  Therefore, they MUST be scanned, period!!

There is no such as "not necessary to scan" anything, they are supposed to be scanned, period.  I am furious at you for saying that because you are wrong and should encourage by using this wrong message saying it is not necessary to scan.  Yes, they are supposed to be scanned, period!

The head office of Canada Post said that they are supposed to be scanned from A to B, B to C, C to D, etc.  So there inuk!  End of it!

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

yechen1963
Community Member
it did just happen to me. I shipped out the pack on Monday via Xpresspost that was guaranteed 2 days delivery. Today is Wednesday and the buyer didn't get it. So I checked it by tracking. Guess what? It shows the parcel is in at the local post office. So I went down to the office, the guyer told me it was probably somewhere miss the scan, but it was in the move. And I told them even if it was missed scan at one point it should pickup again next stop and even if missed all scans, since it was moving, it should have moved to the receiver 's hands NOW! sucks
Message 20 of 31
latest reply