Canada Post Strike Update August

Update August 2, 4:14 pm

Dear Canada Post customer,

While we continue to talk, progress remains slow; but our resolve to reach tentative agreements without a work disruption has remained.

The postal system is open for business while negotiations continue. Mail and parcels are being processed and delivered across the country as normal.

Information related to negotiations can also be found at canadapost.ca/update, where you can sign up for email updates. We will continue to keep you updated on a regular basis as we have throughout this process.

Sincerely,

Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 1 of 173
latest reply
172 REPLIES 172

Are We Making Progress?

Thursday August 11 2016
2015-2019/164
No 61

We have held rallies and shown the Government and Canada Post that we are ready and willing to support our demands.

What CPC is Saying

Canada Post is telling the media and its customers that “Canada Post and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers remain at the negotiating table, but progress is discouraging.” They also stated: “As you know, Canada Post has expressed its strong desire to continue to negotiate without the threat of a lockout. Although CUPW has repeatedly said that they do not intend to strike, a threat of a 72-hour notice to strike is always a very real possibility.”  What message is Canada Post sending to its customers? Are they preparing to issue another 72-hour notice of a lockout?

Many Issues Still to Resolve

We have yet to resolve any of our big issues and CPC appears unwilling to sit down and talk seriously about these issues. They appear to be content to spend time discussing non-monetary issues while avoiding the big issues that must be resolved if we are going to achieve negotiated collective agreements. The reason that “progress is discouraging” is because CPC will not tackle the big issues.

What Needs To Happen

Canada Post needs to come to the table ready and willing to tackle the tough issues that are critical to getting new negotiated collective agreements. It is time to seriously negotiate and get this resolved without CPC continuously suggesting there may be an interruption of service.

Continue to Tell CPC to Negotiate

CPC must translate “its strong desire to continue to negotiate” into real negotiations. Tell CPC to stop trying to chase customers away. The best way for CPC to keep its customers, is by coming to the table with the mandate and resolve to settle this dispute.

CPC: We Are Waiting!

Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit

George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit

Message 41 of 173
latest reply

I really don't think the Union realizes how more and more idiotic they sound every time they post the same thing over and over again.

Message 42 of 173
latest reply

Maybe the Union should tell the public what they are prepared to give up to get something else they want.

That is what I always though negotiating was.Give and take

Not, this is what we want period. That is not negotiating, but demanding which never works.

Message 43 of 173
latest reply

This is like two people dancing... trying to figure out who is leading...

One person is dancing a foxtrot

The second is dancing a Tango...

and the orchestra is playing a polka.

Shall we all dance to waltz music......

Message 44 of 173
latest reply

Labour Code And Strikes

Share This

Friday August 12 2016
2015-2019/165
No 62

There have been many questions about how the Canada Labour Code applies to our current situation. As you know, we held a strike vote and that mandate is good for 60 days. Our 60-day period ends on August 25, 2016. What are our options at that point?

Excerpts From the Labour Code

87.3 (1)      Unless a lockout not prohibited by this Part has occurred, a trade union may not declare or authorize a strike unless it has, within the previous sixty days, or any longer period that may be agreed to in writing by the trade union and the employer, held a secret ballot vote among the employees in the unit and received the approval of the majority of the employees who voted.

strike  includes a cessation of work or a refusal to work or to continue to work by employees, in combination, in concert or in accordance with a common understanding, and a slowdown of work or other concerted activity on the part of employees in relation to their work that is designed to restrict or limit output; (grève)

Possibilities

Based on the provisions of the Canada Labour Code, there are three possible options available to us.

The parties could agree in writing to extend the 60-day period that the strike vote is valid for. This would allow negotiations to continue and we would retain our right to strike. Should CPC not agree to extend the period, then we may have no other choice than to issue a 72-hour notice of strike action on or before August 25, 2016.

If we do not use one of the above options by August 25th, then our strike vote mandate is no longer valid and we would have to hold another strike vote to have the ability to issue a 72-hour notice of strike action.

What We Want

We have been saying since the beginning of this round that we want to achieve negotiated collective agreements. We have also stated throughout this process that we do not want to go on strike. This position has not changed. Canada Post appears determined to force us into a corner so that we have to make a decision before August 25th. Our message to Canada Post is that it is time to settle this dispute without any kind of work disruption. We have less than two weeks until August 25th so now is the time to work with us to get new collective agreements. No one benefits from a service disruption so CPC needs to stop trying to cause one.

LET’S NEGOTIATE!

Sylvain Lapointe
George Floresco
Message 45 of 173
latest reply

We can now mark

August 25

on our calendar..

Message 46 of 173
latest reply

Thanks for posting this.  This time I will not shut down.  I now have Chit Chat that I can use for US and international and most Canadians hopefully will understand that I won't be able to mail things.

Message 47 of 173
latest reply

I guess threats are now a part of the way they negotiate.

Message 48 of 173
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I really don't think the Union realizes how more and more idiotic they sound every time they post the same thing over and over again.

It does get tiresome for those following the situation really closely, but I know of at least one union who found that it's better to stay "on message" and keep hammering the same points to the general public than to have more variety to the message and confuse Joe or Jane Q. Public who may not be monitoring the situation on a daily basis.

@dutchman48 wrote:

I guess threats are now a part of the way they negotiate.

Where did you hear that CUPW was using threats in the negotiation process?

Message 49 of 173
latest reply

Hi folks! Please remember to keep the boards friendly and welcoming for everyone, further hostility may result in this thread being closed.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 50 of 173
latest reply

Dear Canada Post customer,

Negotiations between Canada Post and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) continue and unfortunately we are no closer to a resolution. Over the next ten days, we do expect to see some activity from the union as they attempt to address the expiration of their strike mandate.

The union’s 60-day strike mandate, based on a vote by their membership earlier this year, is set to expire on August 25, 2016. This timeline is set in the Canada Labour Code. Rather than secure the renewed support of their members through a vote, the union is looking at other ways to extend their strike mandate.

Based on options available to CUPW, we can expect a 72-hour strike notice to be issued by the union between now and August 25. This does not necessarily mean that there will be full-scale work disruption associated with the notice, as in a recent bulletin the union reiterated that they do not want to go on strike.

I regret that I cannot provide you with more certainty and greater assurance at this time. My team and I will continue to provide regular and timely updates so that you can make the right decisions for your business.

We remain committed to our goal of reaching agreements that are fair to our employees – and that also allow us to provide the affordable pricing and service on which our customers depend.

Sincerely,

Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation

Message 51 of 173
latest reply

I don't get it........CUPW keeps repeating that CPC must be willing to come to the table and really negotiate yet what 'negotiating' has CUPW done?  They just keep stating that all of their demands must be met or there will be no deal.  What kind of negotiation is that?  At least CPC has made some small concessions.  CUPW has made none, at all.

Message 52 of 173
latest reply

CPC has made no concessions, none. They are simply negotiating from where they always wanted to be. They are trying to last longer than the union, so the union will fold and there will be a forced settlement.

The last time there was a forced settlement, 2011, the company won big and the workers lost big.

CPC's position is they do not want a negotiated settlement, they want arbitration, a forced settlement, that is not bargained for.

Photobucket
Message 53 of 173
latest reply

"At least CPC has made some small concessions.  "

Could you please elaborate.  I have not read anything anywhere to that effect.

Message 54 of 173
latest reply

CPC And Pay Equity

Tuesday August 16 2016
2015-2019/166
No 63

Canada Post spokesperson, Jon Hamilton is at it again. He is continuing to try and put his spin on the serious issue of RSMC pay equity. Is this how Canada Post intends to address this issue?

THIS IS WHAT CPC IS SAYING

Canada Post seems content to put out misleading statements in the media. On August 13, 2016, CBC News attributed the following comments to CPC spokesperson, Jon Hamilton:

RSMCs can make just as much money as their urban counterparts.

"The union has taken that position in bargaining — it's a bargaining position but that's not true." 

While the two positions fall under different collective agreements, Hamilton said it all comes down to the size of a carrier's route.

"The rural carriers, some of them can makes as much if not more than their urban counterparts, and others are more of a part-time role because they're out in the more rural areas."

Hamilton said those with smaller routes earn less because they aren't working as many hours.

RSMCs have "good benefits [and] great pensions." And those circumstances will only improve with the changes Canada Post has proposed during the third, most recent round of negotiations.

THE FACTS

• RSMCs make substantially less per hour than letter carriers, on average over 28% less.
  • RSMCs do not get paid for all the hours they work.
  • RSMCs have no guaranteed hours.
  • The above three points considerably reduce the pension for RSMCs.

STOP THE SPIN GAME AND NEGOTIATE

It is time for Canada Post to stop trying to spin this issue. The fact is that RSMCs, as a whole, make substantially less than letter carriers in the Urban Unit. CPC has to come to the table with the mandate to correct this injustice once and for all.

RESOLVE PAY EQUITY NOW!

Sylvain Lapointe

George Floresco

Message 55 of 173
latest reply

Rural Mail delivery.

The payment for rural mail delivery is based on two factors...

(1) Distance traveled  

(2) Amount of mail delivered each week

Mail delivery people use their own vehicles..... my understanding

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following  is from personal experience.

I have relatives who  are grain farmers about 50 miles west of Winnipeg.....  Grain farmers will work 2 or 3 sections of land.  One section is 640 acres and measures at one square mile in area

Farmers residences  can be one, two or even three miles apart.....  and into Saskatchewan  the distance between residences could  even be greater

A mail delivery person has a lot of travelling to do   and this can be time consuming...

Delivery does not have to be daily...once maybe twice a week.

For my relatives mail delivery to the farm started at about 1970 (approximately).  Before delivery to a mailbox, one-quarter mile away  at the "main" road,  mail was picked up at a local town, the equivalent of a community mailbox,  about 10 miles away.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A second much different situation was seen a few years back... This was east of Winnipeg, and along a highway where residences were lined up along the highway, and side roads

The rule is that a farmer can sell land at 10 acres each....  and then a residence can be built on each  10 acre parcel of land...  

In this situation  we have a cluster of houses... close  to one another along a highway.

Mail delivery in this situation requires little travel,  and is associated with an  intensive, perhaps high volume,  delivery of mail 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These two situations  give one a view of rural delivery of mail and amount received for that delivery.

In the first instance, in grain country....  the mail delivery person would  earn much less that the second instance.

The grain country person  is limited based on time spent travelling... and delivery of a low amount of mail overall.

In the second instance.....    the fact that residences are very close together, means less travel and a delivery of a higher amount of mail, within a short time period

----------------------------------------------------

The grain country person earns less per hour than urban delivery people,  while the second person  would earn much more per hour than the urban delivery persons....

--------------------------------------------------

Both delivery people are paid on a contract basis... distance traveled and amount of mail delivered.

-----------------------------------------------------------

There is no guarantee of daily mail delivery... more so with that grain country person  than the second situation

There is no need for daily delivery of mail in a rural situation...

where  weather... rain, snow, wind  and other factors can limit when mail can be delivered...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment received for rural mail delivery anywhere in Canada  is based on distance traveled and amount of mail delivered.

The greater the amount of mail delivered the greater the amount earned....  

Message 56 of 173
latest reply

I am not closing this time around that's for sure !

Message 57 of 173
latest reply

I'm with you.  I now use Chit Chat for all my mail to the US and well if a Canadian purchases from me , they will have to make a choice.  My items are of low value so courier service is out of the question. 

Message 58 of 173
latest reply

Postal Workers Plan For Canada Post’s 2016 Annual Public Meeting

Wednesday August 17 2016
Media Advisory                                                                                                     

OTTAWA – Representatives of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers are planning to attend Canada Post’s annual public meeting and confront its elusive President and CEO, Deepak Chopra.

“Chopra’s got some explaining to do,” said Mike Palecek, national president of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers.

“Harper’s man in the post office has been a disaster from the get-go, when he began by shutting down the mail with a nation-wide lockout. Since then, he’s slashed our services, spent who knows how much on mailboxes nobody wanted, refused to deal fairly with us, and now he’s twiddling his thumbs at the negotiating table, waiting for an arbitrator to rescue him from having to negotiate.”

WHO:             Mike Palecek, national president, Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) and others

WHAT:          Canada Post Annual Public Meeting

WHEN:          Friday, August 19, 2016 at 11 AM EST (Registration begins at 10:30 AM)

WHERE:       Canada Post head office conference centre, 2701 Riverside Drive

(a webcast is also available from Canada Post’s website)

WHY:             The post office belongs to all of us.

Message 59 of 173
latest reply

What Is Canada Post Waiting For?

Wednesday August 17 2016
2015-2019/168
No 64

As the end of our strike vote mandate looms ever closer, what is Canada Post waiting for? Are they content to sit back and see what we will do on August 25? Do they want us to take some form of strike action so that they can then lock us out? Do they want negotiated collective agreements or do they want to battle this out?

The Spin Continues

On August 15, 2016 the Toronto Star attributed the following comments to Canada Post spokesperson Jon Hamilton:

“We continue to talk. We remain available to sit around the clock to hammer out a deal.”

“The union has repeatedly assured Canadians that they do not want a strike. Therefore, letting the strike mandate expire on August 25th should not be an issue.”

When asked whether Canada Post would consider resurrecting a lockout notice, Hamilton said the company is focused on getting a deal.

“The union is still looking for $1 billion in demands and refusing to accept the company’s proposal to move new hires to a defined contribution pension plan, from a defined benefit plan.”

While the threat of an immediate shutdown of the post office has subsided, Hamilton said customers remain nervous, given the uncertainty.

The following was posted on the CPC Customer Updates page on August 9, 2016:

“Canada Post and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers remain at the negotiating table, but progress is discouraging.”

“As you know, Canada Post has expressed its strong desire to continue to negotiate without the threat of a lockout. Although CUPW has repeatedly said that they do not intend to strike, a threat of a 72-hour notice to strike is always a very real possibility.”

Jon Hamilton is telling the media that we should let our strike mandate expire on August 25. CPC continues to mention our $1 billion in demands but they have refused to provide us with any costing figures on this amount. He says that CPC is available to “hammer out a deal” and that “the company is focused on getting a deal.”

If CPC wants a deal, they should come to the table to discuss the big issues

Sylvain Lapointe

George Floresco
Message 60 of 173
latest reply