Canada Post Strike Update August

Update August 2, 4:14 pm

Dear Canada Post customer,

While we continue to talk, progress remains slow; but our resolve to reach tentative agreements without a work disruption has remained.

The postal system is open for business while negotiations continue. Mail and parcels are being processed and delivered across the country as normal.

Information related to negotiations can also be found at canadapost.ca/update, where you can sign up for email updates. We will continue to keep you updated on a regular basis as we have throughout this process.

Sincerely,

Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 1 of 173
latest reply
172 REPLIES 172

Taxes - comments are often made about Canada Post paying taxes on its profit.

Please folks (and Canadian taxpayers) take a good look at the notes from the auditors in the financial statement. (note 11)

While Canada Post shows a "tax expense" (about $37 million) it does not actually pay that money.  In plain English:

"As at December 31, 2015, the Corporation recognized a deferred tax asset of $1,502 million on its deductible temporary differences. This is based on management’s assessment that all available evidence, such as profitability information derived from long-term forecasted operating results, suggests that their realization is probable. Deferred tax liabilities have not been recognized for temporary differences associated with investments in subsidiaries as the Corporation is able to control the timing of

the reversal of the temporary differences and it is probable that the temporary differences will not reverse in the foreseeable future. The aggregate amount of these temporary differences at December 31, 2015, was $244 million (2014 – $193 million)."

Message 81 of 173
latest reply

CPC has an important position in Canadian society....  a mandate to deliver mail to all locations in Canada

In order to verify that CPC is a "true" Canadian Corporation    we then have to examine if all corporations can do the same that CPC does.

--------------------------------------------------

CPC is in a major adjustment, and looking to meet many challenges....

There was a major purchase of delivery vehicles, which will help in relation to the  delivery of lettermail, and similar mail,  to Community Mailboxes  and the delivery of parcels.to residences and to postal outlets

We know of the effect of the internet on lettermail,  and then massive increase in parcels in the postal system.

It is important for us to understand  this reality...  and with the current review of Canada Post  we will not only learn more,  but will find out what the future Canada Post will most likely look like.

This past period of negotiation  has been difficult for Canada Post, mainly because Canada Post has a focus  that appears not to be shared by the union.

Perhaps the review will address this CPC-Union relationship, and define what this relationship should encompass.

-------------------------------------------------

Right now we each have to find a way  through this current uncertainty...  The sooner things get settled,  the better it will be for all of us

Message 82 of 173
latest reply

Thank you all for the great read.

One thing we all can agree on, is this has being going on for far too long. Between everything ebay has thrown at us lately, and the uncertainty of whether or not we can ship our items, I know I have aged more in the last few months, than I would like to admit.

It is time for Both Parties to do their business, get out of the bathroom and hammer out a deal. I'm sure business is down, it's a slow time of year anyway, but they need to settle soon, or some of it may not come back, again.

I also know the last thing I want to do, is to rely on ebay's no defect policy, if there is a stoppage. Once again, Canadian sellers appear to be between a rock, and a hard place.

Please keep the updates coming, thanks.

Message 83 of 173
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

In plain English:

"As at December 31, 2015, the Corporation recognized a deferred tax asset of $1,502 million on its deductible temporary differences. This is based on management’s assessment that all available evidence, such as profitability information derived from long-term forecasted operating results, suggests that their realization is probable. Deferred tax liabilities have not been recognized for temporary differences associated with investments in subsidiaries as the Corporation is able to control the timing of the reversal of the temporary differences and it is probable that the temporary differences will not reverse in the foreseeable future. The aggregate amount of these temporary differences at December 31, 2015, was $244 million (2014 – $193 million)."

You were, I hope, being sarcastic with the "In plain English" heading?  Only an accountant could make sense of this gobbledygook. Sounds more like a mantra treatment for insomnia.  Woman Very Happy  

... the temporary differences will not reverse...the temporary differences will not reverse...the temporary differences will not reverse...

Message 84 of 173
latest reply

Alert #1

Tuesday August 23 2016
2015-2019/167
No 66

Today we are meeting with Canada Post and the mediators to identify the key issues for each side that need to be resolved if we are going to achieve negotiated collective agreements. Representing CUPW will be National President Mike Palecek, 1st National Vice-President Jan Simpson, and both CUPW chief negotiators George Floresco and Sylvain Lapointe. CPC will be represented by CEO Deepak Chopra and other senior representatives.

Meeting With the Minister of Labour

We will also be meeting with the Honourable MaryAnn Mihychuk to discuss our negotiations. As with last week’s meeting with the Government, CUPW and Canada Post will meet with the Minister separately and after there will be a meeting with the Minister and both parties together.

Stay Tuned

We will provide information on what occurred at these meetings tomorrow. Keep monitoring the CUPW website and your email for the latest updates.

We Are Determined to Achieve
Negotiated Collective Agreements!
Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit
George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit
Message 85 of 173
latest reply

Many assume that the amount of pension received with a company's defined benefit plan is fixed.

But it can be adjusted.

If one is guaranteed $30,000 as an annual pension amount, then one can retire with this amount

At age 65 one assumes that CPP and OAS will be added to this amount.

Some plans now make the adjustment where at age 65.....  the amount for CPP and OAS received after age 65 become a part of the $30,000 received before age 65.

With this option, the person with the pension still receives a total of $30,000 which now is a total including company pension, CPP and OAS.

The CPP and OAS amounts relieve the pressure on a company's pension fund.

-------------------------------------------------------

With a defined contribution plan  the CPP and OAS received at age 65  would/should/might be added to the pension amount received from a company's pension plan.  

Nothing is guaranteed.  Adjustments to company pension plans can/will be made.

Message 86 of 173
latest reply

"get ready for a strike"

http://globalnews.ca/news/2898345/canada-post-union-tells-members-to-get-ready-as-strike-mandate-exp...

So much for the union not wanting a strike

Message 87 of 173
latest reply

as soon as they issue the strike notice, CP will issue a 72 hour lockout notice.   So there will probably be a complete shutdown come Monday morning.

I will not put into words what I am feeling right now...

Message 88 of 173
latest reply

With a strike mandate set to expire at midnight, the federal government stepped in, saying it would appoint a special mediator in hopes of breaking the stalemate.

Labour Minister MaryAnn Mihychuk offered the mediation service late Wednesday after months of bitter disagreement, and encouraged both sides to come together. "I expect both parties to work with this special mediator to come to a resolution and avoid a work stoppage," Mihychuk said in a brief statement.

Officials from both Canada Post and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers appeared to go into a media lockdown shortly after the minister's announcement, refusing to say whether there was any room for movement in the talks.

http://www.cp24.com/news/feds-appoint-mediator-to-oversee-canada-post-contract-talks-1.3043929

Message 90 of 173
latest reply

Canada Post CEO “Gone Rogue”: Deepak Chopra Refuses Minister Of Labour’s Extension

Thursday August 25 2016

For Immediate Release

OTTAWA - Last night, the federal Minister of Labour MaryAnn Mihychuk requested that the Canadian Union of Postal Workers and Canada Post management both agree to a 24-hour extension of timelines, in order to allow for the negotiation of a longer extension and ongoing talks.

“This was an eleventh-hour intervention from the government to avoid a dispute and of course we said yes. From the outset, our goal has been a negotiated collective agreement without service disruptions,” said CUPW national president Mike Palecek.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Canada Post, whose President and CEO Deepak Chopra refused the Minister’s request, forcing the union into a labour dispute.

“For months, Chopra has been trying to provoke a disruption in the middle of the government’s review of Canada Post.  Unfortunately, Mr. Chopra’s latest actions leave us no choice but to file a 72-hour notice of job action,” said Palecek.

Canada Post set the stage by filing for conciliation very early in the process. But over the past months, management has barely negotiated, moving very little on its major demands for massive cuts and a two-tier system for new hires.

In the notice it sent to management, CUPW listed its anticipated job actions but has stopped short of walking off the job.

“We are still willing to withdraw our notice if Canada Post agrees to an extension.  Our goal remains a freely negotiated collective agreement, without disruption to the public service that we proudly provide to the people of this country,” said Palecek.

Message 91 of 173
latest reply

Alert #3 – CPC Says No To Government Request To Extend Strike Mandate

Thursday August 25 2016
2015-2019/Bulletin no. 171
No 68

Things are moving quickly. The National Executive Board (NEB) has been meeting since early this morning. The press conference has been postponed until further notice.

Canada Post Refused Extension

Yesterday, the Government proposed that the parties agree to a 24-hour extension of our strike mandate. The NEB agreed to this proposal but Canada Post refused it. How many more times will the Government allow Canada Post management to ignore its requests? The Government also stated that it will appoint a high-profile mediator.

What Now?

Based on Canada Post’s refusal to agree to the 24-hour extension of our strike mandate, we have issued our 72-hour notice of strike activity. We will be in a legal strike position as of 11:59 pm Sunday, August 28, 2016. The NEB will inform everyone if, when and what strike activities will occur. Please monitor all communication channels so that you are informed.

Why Issue the 72-Hour Notice?

We never wanted a strike. We wanted to negotiate good collective agreements for all CUPW postal workers. Canada Post did not want to negotiate. Canada Post wanted to force rollbacks and concessions on us. Canada Post has left us no choice. We will stand and fight against rollbacks, for retirement security and for pay equity. We are determined to improve both collective agreements. This is why we have issued our 72-hour notice of strike activity today.

Now is the Time to Stand Our Ground!

Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit

George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit

Message 92 of 173
latest reply

Dear Canada Post customer,

This letter is to inform you that the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) has provided Canada Post with 72-hour strike notices. This means the union will be in a legal position to commence strike action on August 28, 2016. Following that, they will be free to take further action to disrupt the postal service at any time without additional warning. Up until now, the union was required to provide advance notice of any disruptive job action. Unfortunately, as of August 28, 2016, that will no longer be the case. The union will not be required to provide any notice going forward.

As stated in our previous letter, this action by the union does not necessarily mean a full-scale strike will occur.

Also today, the Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour, MaryAnn Mihychuk, announced she will appoint a special mediator to assist in negotiations with CUPW. Canada Post will fully cooperate in the process. We hope the assistance of a neutral third party will help both parties address the real challenges facing the postal service caused by declining mail volumes and increasing pension obligations.

Canada Post remains committed to negotiating agreements that are fair to our employees, and allow us to continue to provide affordable pricing and service to our customers. We will continue to keep you apprised of any developments.

Sincerely,

Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporationv

Message 93 of 173
latest reply

Canada Post, CUPW agree to mediation after union files strike notice

Labour Minister MaryAnn Mihychuk said a special mediator will begin working with Canada Post and the union representing the majority of its employees Friday morning in hopes of avoiding a strike.

"Sometimes when negotiations have been going for a long time, like now, they fall into a rut, and sometimes you need to shake things up," Mihychuk said Thursday evening in Saguenay, Que., the site of the Liberal caucus retreat.

While Mihychuk said it was a positive step that both Canada Post and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers were co-operating with the mediation process and that the hope was for a resolution by Sunday, she added, "Canadians need to get prepared for a potential work stoppage. I think that's the reality."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-post-union-cupw-strike-mandate-1.3735203

Message 94 of 173
latest reply

So what does it all mean.  Are they or are they not going out on strike? I know there is mediation scheduled and if they don't like it they can just walk out????

I'm not sure whether to open or not?

Message 95 of 173
latest reply

Nothing the mediator says or does is binding on either party. The union can carry through with their notice Sunday at 11:59 PM I believe

That will only change if a contract is reached by Sunday.

However, if the past is any indication, it is all subject to change.

I will not reopen until Monday morning at the earliest.

Message 96 of 173
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

So what does it all mean.  Are they or are they not going out on strike? I know there is mediation scheduled and if they don't like it they can just walk out????

I'm not sure whether to open or not?

Personally, I'm about to shut down and stay shut down until it's clear that either the mediator has been successful (unlikely in my opinion), or that the mail will be moving for an extended period (i.e. only if the Union announces it will stick to limited or rotating action, or if the parties agree to another cooling off period).  

I see you've hidden your listings, and I think that's wise.  I'll be doing the same.  There is no point in enticing a buyer into making a purchase and then having to provide explanations as to why you either can't ship or why there may be a delivery delay of undetermined length.  

I just don't think that's good service, and worse -- it won't protect against punishment by eBay of your seller status if things go wrong.  I've seen no announcement from eBay about removal of defects, negative FB, etc. this time around, and I wouldn't put my trust in that in any case. 

If the mediation fails, well, the Union will take some kind of action, which may result in CPC locking them out.  In the meantime, until things are clearer, I'm staying closed.  It's an ugly situation all around. 

Message 97 of 173
latest reply

Sadly, I believe mediation will fail. It will fail because of the pension issue. It is management's trojan horse.

Once they get the union to agree to a dual system of current employees enjoying a defined benefit plan, and new hires being in a defined contribution plan, that will be the end of the defined benefit plan. Next negotiations, CPC will demand that the existing DB plan be converted to a DC plan. That will be the end of the pension plan.

The union knows this, management knows this, the mediator knows this.

Photobucket
Message 98 of 173
latest reply

"...and new hires being in a defined contribution plan, that will be the end of the defined benefit plan...."

There is a solution.

Nobody will love it but it may work.

Forget about a "defined contribution" plan for new hires.  Forget about new hires.

Since the mail volume is going down year after year, stop hiring.  Use normal attrition (retiring, quitting) to lower staffing levels.

No new employees for the duration of the contract (four years?) would solve that problem.

Next problem?

Message 99 of 173
latest reply

pierrelebel you should be the mediator 🙂

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 100 of 173
latest reply