Canada Post Strike Update August

Update August 2, 4:14 pm

Dear Canada Post customer,

While we continue to talk, progress remains slow; but our resolve to reach tentative agreements without a work disruption has remained.

The postal system is open for business while negotiations continue. Mail and parcels are being processed and delivered across the country as normal.

Information related to negotiations can also be found at canadapost.ca/update, where you can sign up for email updates. We will continue to keep you updated on a regular basis as we have throughout this process.

Sincerely,

Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 1 of 173
latest reply
172 REPLIES 172

@pierrelebel wrote:

"...and new hires being in a defined contribution plan, that will be the end of the defined benefit plan...."

There is a solution.

Nobody will love it but it may work.

Forget about a "defined contribution" plan for new hires.  Forget about new hires.

Since the mail volume is going down year after year, stop hiring.  Use normal attrition (retiring, quitting) to lower staffing levels.

No new employees for the duration of the contract (four years?) would solve that problem.

Next problem?

That would be nice if the whole operation was under one roof, it is not. Shifting people from one floor to another is a tad easier than saying to the clerk in St John's NL: "You are needed in Churchill today".

Photobucket
Message 101 of 173
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:
That would be nice if the whole operation was under one roof, it is not. Shifting people from one floor to another is a tad easier than saying to the clerk in St John's NL: "You are needed in Churchill today".

Yes, that's what I was thinking too.  This is the reason the Canada Post "problem" has always been so intractable, with employees and services spread out thinly over such a huge country. 

There is also the practical question of hires to replace people out on lengthy disability leave, maternity leave, etc., or for that matter, people who simply quit.  The replacements can't all be part-timers, and attrition alone may not function as expected to properly balance the overall workforce.  What happens when you have a large group retiring in one section, leaving a big gap in the workforce of that area?

I don't think banning new hires for the life of this contract -- even if it were a practical possibility -- would solve the core issue, which is how to provide a fair and reasonable pension plan to all employees that is sustainable.  It would only postpone the problem until a point a few years down the road when even more new hires would be needed, with the likelihood that the pension issue would become an even larger bone of contention. 

No, I think the parties need to find a way to compromise.  Perhaps stipulating that new hires must contribute more to the pension plan over the life of their working careers would be one starting point. 

In the end, a 2-tier pension system is just another means of breaking a union, and I'm not sure that is in the best interests of all working Canadians in the longer run.  

Message 102 of 173
latest reply

The 2-tier pension system is already in place at many large Canadian unionized plants.  Check the auto workers latest contract.

Message 103 of 173
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

The 2-tier pension system is already in place at many large Canadian unionized plants.  Check the auto workers latest contract.

The auto workers union has a little more clout than CUPW. CUPW has a very real fear that to give in on the pension issue, now, means CPC will go after the rest next time "The business environment changed, we have no choice".

CPC has no morality and CUPW reacts to that with inflexibility. These two are poles apart and neither trusts the other, in any way.

Chopra doesn't care, he gets his $2.5 million no matter what and then on to his next job. The 51K do not have that guarantee or option.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I am going to Regina tomorrow!

Photobucket
Message 104 of 173
latest reply

ebay.ca
Dear eBay Community Member,

Yesterday, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) issued a 72-hour strike notice to Canada Post Corporation. As a result, CUPW members will be in a position to take job action as of 11:59 pm ET on Sunday, August 28, 2016.

CUPW leadership has stated that their job action will be limited to the suspension of overtime work by CUPW workers and that this action will rotate by province and territory. It is not clear if this limited action will have any impact on normal service levels.

We anticipate that the parties will continue to negotiate and a solution may be reached in the coming days.

In the case of a full or partial work disruption at Canada Post, eBay will remain open for business and we encourage our sellers to do the same. There is no need to put your store on vacation hold, or to stop listing on eBay.

Should a work disruption occur, eBay will ensure that sellers are not penalized for the delayed arrival of shipments originating or terminating in Canada. eBay will monitor and remove defects associated with shipping delays caused by any Canada Post disruption.

For updates on the situation and eBay’s plans, please visit the Announcement Board. For more information on buyer and seller protections, please visitwww.eBay.ca/canadapost.

eBay Canada

Message 105 of 173
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Yes, I know, my husband was a member of CAW (now amalgamated with CEP into Unifor), although not a plant worker.  As 'Mr. Elmwood'  mentioned, the CAW had a lot of clout, but realities were also very harsh in the auto sector until recently (remember 2008-10).  Union demands were scaled back in order to save the industry itself and the jobs associated with it.  Things may be very different the next time around in that boom-and-bust industry, particularly with Unifor now representing nearly a third of a million workers.  

I don't think Canada Post is in quite so tenuous a position.  

Message 106 of 173
latest reply

Confucius say:

Canada Post does not need the Union, but the Union certainly does need Canada Post

Message 107 of 173
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Confucius say:

Canada Post does not need the Union, but the Union certainly does need Canada Post

There lies the divide.

Photobucket
Message 108 of 173
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Confucius say:

So does this mean you're a proponent of going back to the dog-eat-dog employment world of the 19th century, where exploitation was the norm and employers used up workers like so many draught animals for starvation wages in atrocious conditions, replacing them with fresh bodies as they dropped?  

Anyone who has held a for-wages job in the last 75 years or so has (whether they're aware of it or not) had unions to thank that concepts like a living wage, 40-hour work week, job safety, paid vacations, paid disability leave, etc. etc. and yes, pensions, exist.  Many of those things later became enshrined in legislation.  It didn't happen by accident.  Do we honestly believe industry and corporations would have given workers these benefits out of the goodness of their hearts? 

This is a far bigger issue than just CPC and CUPW.  If Canada Post manages to break the back of the CUPW union, other unions may follow.  Ultimately of course the corporate world would love unions to disintegrate and vanish.  Which some may think is just fine, until their own son or daughter can't find a secure job with a decent retirement to look forward to after 40 years of full-time work.  

The other side of the coin is that, as a public service, CPC needs to provide a level of competent and reliable service across the country.  I really don't think a poorly paid, part-time, questionably trained workforce with little to lose by moving on to another job can provide that kind of consistent service over decades.  

One of the most difficult issues for the bottom line of any corporation is the revolving door of the uncommitted workforce, and the resulting costly process of retraining new people over and over again. There is an argument to be made that Canada Post does in fact need the union. 

Here is a glimpse of pre-union working conditions (from ca. 1910) -- 12-hour days, only Sundays off, no lunch breaks, no vacations, wages barely sufficient to stave off starvation, and unhealthy working conditions.  Since few photos were ever allowed in these sweatshops, the owners tended to put on the best possible face when a photograph was taken.  

I wonder how long would it take for corporations to revert to this if all unions disappeared? 

Message 109 of 173
latest reply

a little melodramatic if I may say so.

You will never see that again even if unions are dissolved unless their is a war or major depression and even then, unions would be no help as most companies could not continue to pay their wages and benefits and would just close the doors.

I worked non union for 40 years and know many other that did the same. I don't think I was hard done by as do many others.

Unions were needed at one time when the companies had the power, then the unions grew and developed power, now it is going the other way again.

I also know many people that work for unions, including CP employees and all I hear from them is "I wish they would get this resolved".

Unions in the private sector are totally different than in what I call the public sector and should not be treated the same. If the auto workers go on strike, that is not a necessity or even close. True, it will affect many people, like any strike does but not the same way when innocent people from all walks of life are affected by a strike form police, firefighters, teachers, etc.

The postal union is trying to hold the public hostage with their demands and personally, I think it is garbage.

Message 110 of 173
latest reply

Well, situations that evolve over decades can also devolve over decades.  I wouldn't want to bet on it not occurring. 

I never belonged to a union during my entire working life either.  As much as I'd desperately like to see this whole dispute done and over with, my sympathies are still largely with CUPW, since I believe they make for a more committed, professional, consistent workforce who provide reliable service.  

Their pensions -- and those of other unionized workers -- also make for healthier, more solvent retirees who can buy homes, cars, and other goods and services and continue to contribute to their communities (and make discretionary purchases from eBay sellers too, incidentally). 

Message 111 of 173
latest reply

I always thought retirees should have those things paid for?

Message 112 of 173
latest reply

Alert #4 – Strike Activities

Friday August 26 2016
2015-2019/172
No 69

We issued our 72-hour notice of strike activity yesterday and it is important that everyone has a clear understanding of what will happen after 11:59 pm on August 28, 2016.

What is our Plan for Strike Activities?

The National Executive Board (NEB) has decided that our strike activities will rotate through each province or territory and will be the following:

• RSMC Bargaining Unit:         Work only your Schedule A hours.

• Urban Bargaining Unit:       Full-time work only your regular hours – No overtime.

Part-time and temporary employees may extend up to 8 hours but

no overtime.

These strike activities will rotate through each province or territory. You will be informed when your province or territory is scheduled to participate in these actions. When you are not scheduled for any strike activities, please report to work and do your job according to the work rules and health and safety provisions.

It is possible that Canada Post management may tell you that you must work overtime or work beyond your Schedule A hours. We are in a legal strike position and we are protected under the Canada Labour Code when we engage in legal strike actions. Please call your local immediately if Canada Post management threatens you with discipline for refusing to work overtime or working beyond your Schedule A hours. Please report any hostility, intimidation, discrimination or provocation that you witness or experience from Canada Post management to your local or regional office.

Together We Will Succeed!
Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit

George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit
Message 113 of 173
latest reply

How long will CPC put up with this?

Message 114 of 173
latest reply

If they are going to go out fully or there is a lockout, I hope it will not happen till late next week.  I still have a couple of parcels that I mailed earlier this week that I am hoping will be delivered.  

This whole thing right from mid June, has depressed me.  I have lost sales and money.  I at least do not rely on ebay for my livelihood.  I know that many people rely on online sales in all venues and this is causing them major stress and money shortages.  So I feel bad for all of you.

Although the strike vote was 94% for, I guess that all the CP employees that I know fall in the 6% that didn't want the strike and voted no.   Although I am out west and the CP ee's are not the strongest union supporters. 

I know that when I worked for 35 years, the union convinced us, the employees to vote for strike so that it would show strength at the bargaining table.  They said strike was the last resort.  I was out on strike 3 times during my career, all lasted about 3 weeks, each time we were legislated back to work.  One of the negotiated settlements after was rolled back anyways, our wages were frozen for 7 years during my career.  We lost 3 weeks worth of wages for nothing.   The last strike, I think we got 0, 0, 1.5, 2%.  

This is also a different day and age.  My nieces and nephews work for companies that do not have any retirement pension plans and they have no security whatsoever.  If they get medical and dental coverage that is a bonus.  Wages are low and they are lucky if they can get full time hours.   I think that is the new reality for the 20's generation. 

I'm not a mind reader but when I look into my crystal ball that if nothing happens by Sunday Midnight, next week we will have a few days of rotating strikes and then Canada Post will shut the whole thing down.   I can't see either side budging very much on the pension issue.  If they do go out and then get locked out it will be a couple of weeks of no mail.  I think the government will have to step in.  I don't think that the union will win on the pension issue and may loose a lot more if it is a forced contract by binding arbitration.  

Oh well time will tell, remember the above is only my opinion.  

Message 115 of 173
latest reply

"They" know we exist, and how the strike affects us....  that is small businesses ... quite significantly  as indicated in this report.....

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/small-businesses-preparing-canada-post-100000327.html

as per the Canadian Federation of Independent Business

Message 116 of 173
latest reply

My knowledge of how a 'rotating strike' works is limited.

I see in their latest announcement they say it will be by province/territory. Is there any indication of how long the strike will last in each region? Is it like one day per province? Three? a week? Does anyone recall how it worked during the last postal strike (prior to getting locked out, that is)?

I have a feeling that I will be bombarded with questions during my work shift tomorrow (Canada Post retail outlet clerk) and would like to be as informed as possible.
Message 117 of 173
latest reply

Mine is limited too, however, from when we did rotating strikes, there was nothing that you could prepare for.  They want it that way, to inconvenience CP, so you can't plan.  The union will let the strike captain know and then he will call all the ee's he/she is responsible for and tell them to report to the picket line for that day.  It might be a whole province, it might be just a town or city.  

The aim of rotating strike action is to cause maximum disruption to the employer, with minimum financial loss to union members.

Message 118 of 173
latest reply

This is the info from 2011.  It stated that CP locked out is employees after 12 days of rotating strike. 

Canada Post locked out its employees on June 14, after the Canadian Union of Postal Workers conducted 12 days of rotating strikes.

The Crown corporation blamed their two weeks of rotating strikes for estimated losses of $100 million.

Canada Post and the union went through seven months of failed negotiations before the rotating strikes began.

Aside from wages, changing the sick leave plan has also caused contention between the two sides; Canada Post had fought for a short-term disability plan to replace banking sick days.

The debate on legislation that would force locked-out Canada Post employees back to work started its final stretch shortly after 8:30 p.m., after the issue had already been discussed in the House of Commons for eight hours throughout the day.

And with an NDP determined to stop this legislation from

passing, there’s no real saying when the debate will end.

Once it is voted on, the bill is expected to pass into law with the Conservative majority. And once that happens, Labour Minister Lisa Raitt — who said she is open to changing parts of the legislation — expects postal workers to be back on the job within 24 hours.

But how many hours, days or weeks it will take to pass the back-to-work legislation, officially known as Bill C-6, is uncertain.

“We do not support the legislation,” NDP leader Jack Layton said as the debate got underway.

The main sticking point between politicians on both sides of the House is the wage settlements the federal government wrote into the bill.  Opposition MPs have condemned the wage conditions specifically and the bill as a whole, saying it undermines the right to collective bargaining.  The salary conditions the federal government included are lower than what managers offered earlier this month during negotiations.

“We think that that’s a particularly bad faith and unfair approach to bargaining,” Layton said. “We will use all of the tools that are available to us in the parliamentary tool kit . . . to have the government take (that) off their plan.”

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has said the wages are fair, and are “rates this government agreed to with its other public service workers.”

Message 119 of 173
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

This is also a different day and age.  My nieces and nephews work for companies that do not have any retirement pension plans and they have no security whatsoever.  If they get medical and dental coverage that is a bonus.  Wages are low and they are lucky if they can get full time hours.   I think that is the new reality for the 20's generation.  

Yes, sadly you're quite right about this being a different day and age.  Perhaps things are already devolving for the average working person.  My own nephew is currently renting the basement suite in his mother's house and he's in his mid-30's, working full-time but struggling on a mediocre salary, measly benefits and a generally high cost of living, with nothing to rely on for eventual retirement.  Unfortunately I don't think he's all that unusual for his generation.  

I also tend to agree with you that rotating strikes will probably lead to a CPC lockout before the week is out.  And yes, it is depressing, and impossible to make any solid plans while this impasse continues. 

Message 120 of 173
latest reply