Canada Post Strike Update July

Canada Post extremely disappointed with CUPW’s response to its offers

Dear Canada Post customer,

I am writing to update you on our negotiations and advise you that there can be no legal work disruption before the expiry of a 72-hour notice, and one has yet to be filed.

On Saturday, June 25, 2016, we tabled offers in our separate negotiations with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC), which represent our delivery agents and plant employees. Our offers were designed to help bring a quick resolution to the negotiations and end the uncertainty that is negatively impacting our customers and our employees. Our offers included modest and manageable wage increases for all employees and no changes to the pension for all employees in the plan.

As you can read in our public statement, we are extremely disappointed with the response from CUPW. Late Friday evening, CUPW tabled offers that would add at least $1 billion in new costs over the term of a new collective agreement while rejecting the Corporation’s approach to address the long-term issues with the employee pension plan.

Rather than saddle customers with more than $1 billion in new costs, Canada Post continues to remain at the table to negotiate an agreement that is reasonable and affordable. In the event of a full disruption, Canada Post will not operate, deliver or accept new items. We will keep you updated on our progress.

Thank you for your business and your continued patience.

Sincerely,
Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 1 of 317
latest reply
316 REPLIES 316

'We are in this struggle to the end!' 

What struggle might that be? 

Message 181 of 317
latest reply

The struggle to mention the show stoppers for Canada Post, like the pension issues.  Once that's on the table both sides will not budge or negotiate on it.  Than one side will pull the 72 hour notice, and the whole process will start all over.

Message 182 of 317
latest reply

The tone of what CUPW is saying with each passing day  has changed.... and will continue  over the next few days.

The time to put an end to this negotiation process is soon.

CPC and CUPW Must come to a compromise....  it is compromise or Binding arbitration....

Message 183 of 317
latest reply

I relisted everything because it was the last day of the promo. One sale so far. Though to be honest I have been too busy with work and Pokemon GO to pay attention to the possible postal disruption and what not, lol

Message 184 of 317
latest reply

" it is compromise or Binding arbitration...."

or BOTH!

I can see management and labour coming to an agreement (compromise) on several issues and ask for binding arbitration on issues they cannot agree.  This way both sides minimize risks.

Message 185 of 317
latest reply

Surely that would never happen here due to it being both logical and fair.
Message 186 of 317
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

or BOTH!

I can see management and labour coming to an agreement (compromise) on several issues and ask for binding arbitration on issues they cannot agree.  This way both sides minimize risks.

I was about to disagree with that and then I remembered that management offered first on BA.

Union did not want to give up their right to negotiation.

When I was working, two things we never wanted to give up was the four day work week (9.5 hours) and our pension. If they can come to a deal on what ever the two or three biggest are, Pierre may well be correct. It isn't worth the fight on nickel and dime issues.

Photobucket
Message 187 of 317
latest reply

Surprise - Surprise.

I received both my Old Age cheque and CPP cheque in the mail today (July 20)

Both are properly dated July 27.

Why would the Post Office deliver this early? (they usually come a day or two before date payable, never a week ahead of time)

Does someone within the postal system know something we do not know?

Message 188 of 317
latest reply

Government has been sending out cheques (postdated) on the assumption there would/will be a strike.

My son, whos a student got one(a tax thing) a week or so ago that I took to the bank too early, I never looked at the date, never thought of them sending post dated cheques... looks like they're still doing it...
Message 189 of 317
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

or BOTH!

I was about to disagree with that and then I remembered that management offered first on BA.

Union did not want to give up their right to negotiation.

When I was working, two things we never wanted to give up was the four day work week (9.5 hours) and our pension. If they can come to a deal on what ever the two or three biggest are, Pierre may well be correct. It isn't worth the fight on nickel and dime issues.

The current workers are not being asked to give up their pensions. New workers will still have a pension plan, just not the same type.

Message 190 of 317
latest reply

Time for CPC to Get Serious!

Wednesday July 20 2016
2015-2019/149
No 49

We have been talking about the slow progress and we have mentioned some successes. It is now time for Canada Post to come to the table with the intent of resolving key issues if we are going to have negotiated collective agreements.

Big Issues

The issues that need to be seriously addressed are:

• Group 1 (Internal) Staffing and Appendix “P”
    We need a process to increase the use of full-time hours to provide more opportunities for part-time and temporary employees to obtain full-time jobs.

• Short-Term Disability Plan (STDP)
    CPC needs to improve this plan.

• Pay for all hours worked and an hourly wage for RSMCs
    It is time for RSMCs to get paid an hourly wage for the work they do and for CPC to recognize that they perform the same work as the urban unit.

• One-Bundle delivery method for letter carriers
    This is a fundamental health and safety issue and CPC must address this to protect letter carriers from unsafe work methods.

• A fair wage adjustment for Groups 3 & 4 (Technical Services)
    These employees keep the equipment in the plants running and repair many of our vehicles. Our tech services members are highly skilled and require constant training to keep up with very sophisticated technology. They need their contribution to CPC to be recognized.

• Improved health and safety protection for all postal workers.
    We must improve our right to refuse protection. The creation of a social steward network is essential to assist those of us that may be in distress.

What Happened Today?

We met and finalized the language for RSMC transfer rights. We had a discussion on access to information for letter carrier routes which was a more in-depth discussion involving route measurement representatives from each side.

Time to achieve negotiated settlements!

The pace must speed up. We must all pressure CPC to get serious about our demands and remind them that the time for real, intense negotiations is now.

Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit
George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit
Message 191 of 317
latest reply

Maybe the Union needs to negotiate seriously and quit with their ridiculous and absurd demands!!

Because of these idiotic demands, they are destroying a lot of small businesses in Canada.

Should they be supported, I think not!

Message 192 of 317
latest reply

I want to kick these dudes in the shins already.
Message 193 of 317
latest reply

Baseball bats will do a better job....

Message 194 of 317
latest reply

It took CUPW a week before they started talking about the salary of rural workers

Pensions  will take how many months...... not even listed in their to do list....

Message 195 of 317
latest reply

pensions aren't negotiable according to the union!!

Message 196 of 317
latest reply

Does that mean that CPC can do as it chooses

That is .... Set up a new pension program for new employees

Message 197 of 317
latest reply

We Are Pushing Hard But Meeting Resistance!
Share This

Thursday July 21 2016
2015-2019/152
No 50

We are telling Canada Post to come to the table ready to address our demands but we continue to meet unjustified resistance. We are pushing back hard and reminding CPC over and over that our demands are important and must be addressed.

We Are Serious About Achieving Our Key Demands

CPC does not want to resolve many non-monetary issues that are important to us.

We need to resolve the multiple-bundle delivery issue and have proposed a solution that does not add additional assessed time onto letter carrier routes and still CPC is refusing to agree. Do they not want to resolve an issue that impacts the health and safety of letter carriers and reduce overtime?

Instead of acknowledging our demand for increased retail services provided by CUPW members, CPC wants the ability to close all 493 outlets staffed by us. They want to eliminate 1200 daytime jobs, many of which are located in small communities.

CPC has been putting forward unreasonable conditions that are preventing the resolution of the RSMC seniority issue. Seniority is a basic union right and does not impact the Corporation. Why would CPC not agree to this demand that is important to our RSMC members?

The parties have spent many hours going back and forth on the issue of Group 1 (Internal) staffing and Appendix “P”. It is time to resolve this crucial issue so the parties can move on to other priorities.

CPC first introduced the GeoRoute software program for letter carrier restructures in 2008. It is now being used to restructure RSMC routes as well. Ever since 2008 we have been involved in an arbitration process to force CPC to give us full access to this software so that we can properly evaluate the routes that are being restructured.

Now Is the Time For Action

Negotiations have been going on for a long time and now is the time to ramp it up. We have to remind management that time is of the essence and they need to start picking up the pace.

Serious Negotiations Must Start Now

Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit
George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit
Message 198 of 317
latest reply

Seriously, my blood pressure skyrockets every time I read the daily union propaganda. 

Message 199 of 317
latest reply

We should remember that CUPW serves `the needs of its membership at about 50,000.

CPC serves the needs of the population of Canada at about 36,000,000.

CUPW is outbid  720 to 1.

The next series of days should prove to be most interesting.

Message 200 of 317
latest reply