Canada Post Strike Update July

Canada Post extremely disappointed with CUPW’s response to its offers

Dear Canada Post customer,

I am writing to update you on our negotiations and advise you that there can be no legal work disruption before the expiry of a 72-hour notice, and one has yet to be filed.

On Saturday, June 25, 2016, we tabled offers in our separate negotiations with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC), which represent our delivery agents and plant employees. Our offers were designed to help bring a quick resolution to the negotiations and end the uncertainty that is negatively impacting our customers and our employees. Our offers included modest and manageable wage increases for all employees and no changes to the pension for all employees in the plan.

As you can read in our public statement, we are extremely disappointed with the response from CUPW. Late Friday evening, CUPW tabled offers that would add at least $1 billion in new costs over the term of a new collective agreement while rejecting the Corporation’s approach to address the long-term issues with the employee pension plan.

Rather than saddle customers with more than $1 billion in new costs, Canada Post continues to remain at the table to negotiate an agreement that is reasonable and affordable. In the event of a full disruption, Canada Post will not operate, deliver or accept new items. We will keep you updated on our progress.

Thank you for your business and your continued patience.

Sincerely,
Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 1 of 317
latest reply
316 REPLIES 316

Yes, I have not had door to door delivery for 41 years. For quite a few years here we had to drive about 6 kms to the post office tpick up our mail. Then we got community mailboxes about 3/4 km away at the end of our street. BTW, we do live in the GTA although close to the border.

I do have to say that getting mail delivered once or twice a week would be ok with me. I don't need all those flyers everyday!

Message 241 of 317
latest reply

I am re-opening my eBay store today.

It was fun to take some time off.  Visiting and playing with the grandchildren was great but... I must admit I am getting a bit old for some of their games. 

While my store was closed I took the time to update and revise many listings (often raising prices slightly if and when warranted).

The way I read the news on postal negotiations, I no longer expect a work stoppage.

If I am wrong, oh well... no big deal... I will close the store again!

Message 242 of 317
latest reply

I think that is a wise move, PierreL, and I am glad you enjoyed your time away with the kiddies. Summers are short. As are childhoods.

As you know, my own stayed open this whole time but, I must admit, sales have been painfully slow. I really don't think buyers are looking online for their purchases right now. On the bright side of things, I have managed to make a good start into the pile of 200+ items I have waiting on my desk (and elsewhere) to photograph and list. So that at least is a big load off my shoulders.

Welcome back! I hope sales are swift for you.

Message 243 of 317
latest reply

Staffing

Sunday July 24 2016
2015-2019/155
No 53

Proper staffing is important for many reasons; health and safety, morale, reducing overtime and providing good service to the public. Has Canada Post done anything during this round of negotiations to improve staffing? Has Canada Post proposed a real solution to these issues? NO!

CPC’s Approach to Staffing

We have been discussing staffing with CPC since negotiations began 7 months ago. We have expressed concerns about staffing for all groups in the Urban bargaining unit and for RSMCs.

Group 1 (Internal Workers) – CPC is determined to reduce the number of full-time internal workers while increasing the number of part-time workers and using more temporary workers. CPC wants to close retail outlets staffed by our members instead of expanding hours and services and providing adequate staffing levels.

Group 2 (Letter Carriers and MSCs) – CPC wants the ability to not fill vacant positions in all groups if they intend to implement any cost saving initiative in the future that would reduce letter carrier or MSC positions. This means that, if they announce some scheme to eliminate jobs, they could hold vacant positions indefinitely and staff with temporary employees.

Groups 3 & 4 (Technical Services) – CPC wants to eliminate the apprenticeship program and move to a scholarship program and not pay wages during the two or more years of training that is required to be qualified for positions in Groups 3 & 4. CPC is also deleting positions in tech services and causing these members to work excessive overtime to keep the equipment operating so that the mail continues to move.

RSMC – CPC does not want to provide coverage for all RSMC absences in all locations. They still expect RSMCs to find their own replacements. CPC claims it is too costly and difficult for them to provide replacements in all locations. They are also building RSMC routes with no minimum guaranteed hours. Staffing RSMC routes would be easier if CPC maximized full-time positions, paid RSMCs an hourly wage and paid for all hours worked.

It is time for CPC to provide adequate staffing so that we can work in a safe environment and provide the public with the service they deserve.

We want real solutions to real problems

It has now been 3 weeks since the cooling off period officially ended and still CPC has not made any significant moves on our demands. We are, and have always been, ready to negotiate seriously, it is time for Canada Post to do the same.

Weekend Update

This weekend, we put a lot of effort to try to resolve the access to information. This is a very complicated issue that required a lot of work. Access to information is key in ensuring that what is negotiated is respected.

Determination and Solidarity = Success
Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit
George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit
Message 244 of 317
latest reply

Gee, I don't think the union has made any significant moves either!

Message 245 of 317
latest reply

These daily reports by CUPW have been most interesting.

CPC is setting up for a change in door-to-door delivery of mail..... community mail boxes..

Less people needed to do certain things.... closing postal outlets, (most likely more franchise outlets) mail delivery will require less personnel...

Specifically...Community Mail boxes....  and  perhaps delivery reduced to less than 5 days a week... maybe as low as 2 days each week

I can see three days one week and two days the second week.... one person can work  two routes... 2 days one week and three days the second week on a different route.... One person working 5 days a week, but covering two routes

Parcel delivery will be at a higher level  with each passing year..... and very high at certain times of the year... such as Christmas

Temporary workers needed.. not full-time

CPC says this is what will happen.... The CUPW puts forward its concerns......  CPC says we will do it. our way...

CPC is proposing what should happen,  and what is affordable in today's age of the internet....  and on-line shopping.

----------------------------------------------------

CPC defines a rural route on the basis of distance travelled relative to number of deliveries....... More like a contract basis than a salaried basis... That is why  rural employees are in a different union

Message 246 of 317
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:
CPC defines a rural route on the basis of distance travelled relative to number of deliveries....... More like a contract basis than a salaried basis... That is why  rural employees are in a different union

They're in the same union, but they're in a different bargaining unit.  But I think that's what you meant.

Message 247 of 317
latest reply

Urban Unit versus RSMC unit, .....  both as a part of CUPW

with each unit uniquely different as per job description.....  in spite of the fact people in both units deliver mail

Message 248 of 317
latest reply

Postal service unaffected while talks continue

Dear Canada Post customer,

Discussions between the company and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) continued last week with the objective of reaching negotiated settlements.

Both parties remain at the table with the support of mediators. While discussions are underway, we will not be providing updates on specific issues at the table unless there are significant developments.

The postal system is open for business while negotiations continue. Mail and parcels are being processed and delivered across the country as normal.

Information related to negotiations can also be found at canadapost.ca/update, where you can sign up for email updates. We will continue to keep you updated on a regular basis as we have throughout this process.

Thank you for your business and your patience.

Sincerely,

Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 249 of 317
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
It is a big deal. Many people choose to live in cities because of the services that exist, and for that they pay a premium.

I have been living at my place for 5+ years and the area only has community mailboxes ever since I moved in. The house and its neighbourhood was apparently 20+ years old so I have no idea when the "switch" was made to community mailboxes but I definitely do live in a city (YVR). The neighbourhood are mainly houses with a community mailbox at the end of each street. 

@mjwl2006 wrote:

People make choices about where to live based on the services available for the value.

Don't underestimate how important to-the-door-delivery is for people who are marginalized. 

What I don't understand is, how is going to the post office / community mailboxes to get mail different than going to the grocery store to buy milk and vegetables? Groceries and medications don't get delivered to our doors and I'd think those are a lot more essential than mail......

Message 250 of 317
latest reply

You are assuming that the marginalized folks to whom I'm referring are able to get out and do their own shopping. Stores deliver. But they don't stop at the mailbox and pick-up mail. Nor do home-care workers.
Message 251 of 317
latest reply

Anyone who is unaware that grocery stores and pharmacies deliver is doing so due to able-bodied privileged. Be grateful for that.
Message 252 of 317
latest reply

My thoughts exactly

Message 253 of 317
latest reply

I know most of us Canadian sellers still rely on Canada Post to ship to our Canadian customers and like most of you guys, I am all ears if any of you have an alternative company that you found to be reliable and cost effective. 

Thank god most of my sales are to USA customers. If you are shipping to USA, check out Stallion Express. I have been shipping dozens of items with them daily for more than 6 months now and they charge about half the price that Canada Post used to charge me. I have also tried Chitchats Express but their customer service is horrible and their prices are higher, probably because they used to monopolize this industry before new players like Stallion Express came into the picture.

Message 254 of 317
latest reply

I may be naive, but why do you assume marginalized people are housebound?

Message 255 of 317
latest reply

Why do I? In my experience, it's part of what makes a marginalized person marginalized.
Message 256 of 317
latest reply

There's no assumption there whatsoever; it's what I know.
Message 257 of 317
latest reply

Not sure if answering me or not but your definition then must be different than mine.

What is your definition of a marginalized person?

Message 258 of 317
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Changing the pension plan for employees that haven't been hired yet is sending labour relations back to the 1800s??

Ive never worked for any company that provided any sort of pension plan or guaranteed job security for me or future employees and I don't feel that my 'rights' were being trod on.

Every side has their own way of looking at things and I think that everything that is written in the media needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  But the reality is that times have changed and that some compromises will have to be made. The labour market in Alberta, Ontario and some other provinces has significantly changed in the past few years so is it realstic for the union to expect everything to stay the same and/or status quo?

Sorry to be late to the party on this, but, yes, changing the pension plan for new hires does have the potential of sending labour relations back in time.  It's the thin edge of the wedge.  If the union makes a concession along these lines, it sets a precedent for future bargaining.  Who's to say that Canada Post won't next want to change the benefit plan or structure, pay increments, safety measures, etc. for new hires?  This is more than just about creating a two-tiered system of benefits.

Message 259 of 317
latest reply

Definitions of
marginalize
v relegate to a lower or outer edge, as of specific groups of people
“We must not marginalize the poor in our society”

But in this case, the group of people I'm speaking of are housebound due to limited physical ability, or other circumstances.
Message 260 of 317
latest reply