Canada Post Strike Update July

Canada Post extremely disappointed with CUPW’s response to its offers

Dear Canada Post customer,

I am writing to update you on our negotiations and advise you that there can be no legal work disruption before the expiry of a 72-hour notice, and one has yet to be filed.

On Saturday, June 25, 2016, we tabled offers in our separate negotiations with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC), which represent our delivery agents and plant employees. Our offers were designed to help bring a quick resolution to the negotiations and end the uncertainty that is negatively impacting our customers and our employees. Our offers included modest and manageable wage increases for all employees and no changes to the pension for all employees in the plan.

As you can read in our public statement, we are extremely disappointed with the response from CUPW. Late Friday evening, CUPW tabled offers that would add at least $1 billion in new costs over the term of a new collective agreement while rejecting the Corporation’s approach to address the long-term issues with the employee pension plan.

Rather than saddle customers with more than $1 billion in new costs, Canada Post continues to remain at the table to negotiate an agreement that is reasonable and affordable. In the event of a full disruption, Canada Post will not operate, deliver or accept new items. We will keep you updated on our progress.

Thank you for your business and your continued patience.

Sincerely,
Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 1 of 317
latest reply
316 REPLIES 316

The USA workers are not allowed to strike.  I just received an email mins ago that the union is still not serving a 72 hour notice.

So that is the update as of  10:35 pm est.

Message 21 of 317
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Does USPS ever go on a strike?  I don't think so, so why can't Canada Post do the same and work with the CUPW instead of being so stubborn and hurting the small businesses like eBay, Amazon, etc.  They have been doing negotiating since December!!  That is way toooooo long to solve it.

Yes they have. Nixon called out the National Guard to deal with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._postal_strike_of_1970

The end result was congress reorganizing the post office effective 1971, with collective bargaining rights given to unions, but without the right to strike.

-..-

Binding arbitration is one tool if things drag on for too long.

Having Canada Post have at least one offer the union membership is required to actually vote on would be another.

-..-

Message 22 of 317
latest reply

Guess I could have kept my store open a bit longer  but didn't want to take a chance. I certainly hope they don't play games all summer. I'd like to get back to selling!

I really think the union needs to be realistic in their demands. Yes Canada Post did make a profit last year but believe this was the first for awhile. Canada Post's business has decreased for years now as businesses looked for alternatives to ever increasing postal costs. On line shopping & parcel postage is the only part of their business which continues to grow. They should concentrate on this end of it & improve service in this area. By this I mean added incentives like the free boxes etc they get in US. 

No one wins in a strike least of all the workers. Takes a long time to make up the wages you lost. There are few guarantees in life especially in the workplace. Many people in Western Canada especially would be grateful to have their jobs with their existing wages & benefits. I think there should be binding arbitration that both sides would have to agree to. Hope common sense will prevail but am not holding my breath.

Message 23 of 317
latest reply

@katlover1952 wrote:

Guess I could have kept my store open a bit longer  but didn't want to take a chance. I certainly hope they don't play games all summer. I'd like to get back to selling!

I really think the union needs to be realistic in their demands. Yes Canada Post did make a profit last year but believe this was the first for awhile. Canada Post's business has decreased for years now as businesses looked for alternatives to ever increasing postal costs. On line shopping & parcel postage is the only part of their business which continues to grow. They should concentrate on this end of it & improve service in this area. By this I mean added incentives like the free boxes etc they get in US. 

No one wins in a strike least of all the workers. Takes a long time to make up the wages you lost. There are few guarantees in life especially in the workplace. Many people in Western Canada especially would be grateful to have their jobs with their existing wages & benefits. I think there should be binding arbitration that both sides would have to agree to. Hope common sense will prevail but am not holding my breath.

I'm with you.  If I knew that they were not going to go out on July 2, I too would have kept my listings going for a couple of weeks. I closed down almost 2 weeks ago because I did not want to get stuck.  I am starting to get mad and feel like I'm kept hostage.  They could keep this up all summer.  

The workers that I have spoken to do not want to go out on strike or get locked out.  I do know that there are thousands of people who would love their job even with all the changes proposed.  

I don't know if this is right but it looks right to me.  Salaries of Canada Post employees:

canada post wages.jpg

Message 24 of 317
latest reply

And those guys, the ones earning $40K a year or more,  are your customers-- not the ones earning $10.15 minimum wage and hitting the Food Bank at the end of the month.

Canada (and the USA and the UK) have such firmly right wing media that we have been brainwashed with the idea that a living wage is unaffordable by the economy.

It's just the opposite.

An economy prospers when most of its working population is earning enough to have an actual disposable income. Not a hand to mouth existence.

Henry Ford built a prosperous  business by paying his unskilled and semi-skilled assembly line workers well above the going rate. And the workers bought his cars, which meant he could afford to pay his workers which meant....

Just to put this in perspective Save On Foods is advertising Dempster's Bread at $3.50 a loaf this week. At BC minimum wage it takes 20 minutes of work to pay for it.

Message 25 of 317
latest reply

It seems as if the government's Canada Post review is taking place at an inopportune time.

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/examendepostescanada-canadapostreview/index-eng.html?pk_campaign=cdnsit...

Canada Post Review

The Government of Canada is conducting an independent review of Canada Post to ensure Canadians receive quality postal services at a reasonable price. Canadians from coast to coast to coast will have a say in the services they value and want.

May-August 2016: Task Force conducts its work

Message 26 of 317
latest reply

Message 27 of 317
latest reply

And maybe they should be asking eBay sellers just what they think about Canada Post now!

Message 28 of 317
latest reply

Precisely.
Message 29 of 317
latest reply

CP says offer final and it will be withdrawn in 72 hours if not accepted

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/canada-post-informs-cupw-june-200200243.html

Hopefully this will get on with the inevitable strike 

Message 30 of 317
latest reply

tobyshi@tzu wrote:

CP says offer final and it will be withdrawn in 72 hours if not accepted

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/canada-post-informs-cupw-june-200200243.html

Hopefully this will get on with the inevitable strike lockout.

That is NOT what Canada Post said.

The 72 hour notice refers to the start of a strike/lockout. Which one side has to invoke first.

At the end of the 72 hour period (when invoked) the June 25 offer will become void and any other tentative section agreements are wiped out. So any strike/lockout will start from scratch.

-..-

Message 31 of 317
latest reply

it doesn't actually expire in 72 hours.  What will happen is, if either side issues the required 72 hour notice needed before a work stoppage (strike or lockout) can begin, at the expiration of the 72 hour period and the beginning of the work stoppage, then CP's offer is withdrawn.

So, if neither side issues a 72 hour notice then the offer is valid indefinitely   I don't think the union wants to strike.  I don't think it's members want to lose pay to protect somebody else's future pension, but they are trying to put on a good show, on the behalf of their future co-workers.   So, I suspect it will be CP that issues the 72 hour notice either Tuesday or Wednesday.  Probably Wednesday.  At that point there will either be a lockout 3 days later, or the union will accept CP's final offer beforehand.

If there is a lockout, then a new deal would have to be negotiated; the implication from CP being it won't be as good a deal as the one they have offered currently. 

CUPW should take it.  They are getting pay raises and protected pensions for themselves....it's very noble to try and protect future co-workers' pensions, but at some point one has to be practical.   We'll see what happens. 

Message 32 of 317
latest reply

Thanks for your explanation.  Now I understand.  It wasn't clear before.  I just hope that something happens soon, I hate being in limbo. 

Message 33 of 317
latest reply

Canada Post has issued a 72-hour notice to the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC), which represent our delivery agents and plant employees.

The issuing of the notice does not necessarily mean that Canada Post will not be operating on Friday. It allows the Corporation to take measures that are necessary to respond to the changing business reality. It is doing so by changing the terms and conditions of employment for all employees represented by the union starting Friday, July 8, 2016.

There can be no legal work disruption before 12:01 a.m. on Friday, July 8, 2016.

Sincerely,

Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 34 of 317
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

[...] they already do have staff at contracted out businesses doing exactly the same parcel delivery and retail jobs at much lower pay/no benefits.

Yes, but with all due respect, considering the constant complaints I've seen by sellers on these boards about contract people (especially at the counters) being ill-trained or just unaware of CP procedures, pricing, and policies, etc., it seems to me that's the kind of service we could expect if we got rid of professional, "career" workers. 

My little P.O. is run by a union employee who knows her stuff inside-out, is efficient and well-informed.  I've yet to ask her a question she couldn't answer with authority -- except of course whether there will be a strike. 😄  

It's the old saw: you get what you pay for. 

Message 35 of 317
latest reply

Info from this link

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-post-need-to-know-1.3665993

Here's what you need to know if a lockout happens:

Can I drop off mail?

Most Canada Post outlets will be closed if a lockout happens and though rural postal outlets, which operate under a different union, will be open, they won't be accepting or delivering mail.

What will be delivered?

Only mail deemed "essential" by the government will still be delivered on the 20th of each month.  

The essentials are socio-economic cheques, such as child tax benefits, disability benefits, Old Age Security Pension, Canada Pension Plan benefits and benefits for veterans.

What happens to stuff that's in the mail?

Basically nothing.

Canada Post says the mail will stay in its warehouses or distribution centres until the stoppage is over. Once mail service is resumed, items will be delivered as quickly as possible.

However, preparation for a possible work stoppage has already resulted in a 75 per cent decline in parcels and a 50 per cent decline in letter mail. 

Message 36 of 317
latest reply

Canada Post prepared to submit to binding arbitration to resolve impasse at negotiations

On Wednesday, July 6, 2016, the Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour, MaryAnn Mihychuk, asked both Canada Post and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC) to submit to binding arbitration to resolve the current impasse at negotiations. Canada Post agreed to voluntarily submit to binding arbitration as an opportunity for both parties to reach an acceptable resolution.

While negotiated settlements are always the preferred option, it has become clear that after seven months of negotiations, the parties remain far apart on key issues at the bargaining table. The uncertainty caused by the prolonged negotiations is having a severe impact on the business, our employees and our customers.

It is our hope that CUPW will consider submitting to binding arbitration to end the uncertainty. Canada Post is extending the current 72-hour notice period to Monday at 12:01 am to provide time for the union to consider this option. A quick resolution is in the best interest of our employees, our customers and the long-term future of the postal system.

We will continue to advise you of our progress. Thank you again for your business and your patience.

Sincerely,

Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation

Message 37 of 317
latest reply

A directive from the government to voluntarily submit to binding arbitration is the best news we could have hoped for at this point.
Message 38 of 317
latest reply

The Corporation has already agreed; the union cannot refuse. They really cannot, nor would they want to.

It seems like someone was listening to the pleas and cries of regular Canadians after all.
Message 39 of 317
latest reply

I agree with you. in the mean time we now have the weekend to do more selling!

Message 40 of 317
latest reply