Canada Post Strike Update July

Canada Post extremely disappointed with CUPW’s response to its offers

Dear Canada Post customer,

I am writing to update you on our negotiations and advise you that there can be no legal work disruption before the expiry of a 72-hour notice, and one has yet to be filed.

On Saturday, June 25, 2016, we tabled offers in our separate negotiations with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC), which represent our delivery agents and plant employees. Our offers were designed to help bring a quick resolution to the negotiations and end the uncertainty that is negatively impacting our customers and our employees. Our offers included modest and manageable wage increases for all employees and no changes to the pension for all employees in the plan.

As you can read in our public statement, we are extremely disappointed with the response from CUPW. Late Friday evening, CUPW tabled offers that would add at least $1 billion in new costs over the term of a new collective agreement while rejecting the Corporation’s approach to address the long-term issues with the employee pension plan.

Rather than saddle customers with more than $1 billion in new costs, Canada Post continues to remain at the table to negotiate an agreement that is reasonable and affordable. In the event of a full disruption, Canada Post will not operate, deliver or accept new items. We will keep you updated on our progress.

Thank you for your business and your continued patience.

Sincerely,
Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 1 of 317
latest reply
316 REPLIES 316

"The Government of Canada has contingency plans in place in the event of a work stoppage. While a work stoppage will impact the way we deliver services to Canadians, we will continue to provide people with the services and benefits to which they are entitled."

When I first read the above line I thought.......Wow wouldn't it be amazing if Canada Post announced that even though there may be a work stoppage.  They have made arrangements to outsource all of the incoming ( Now & Future Mail) to courier companies, at no additional cost to the public. (Since they will be saving some postal worker wages.)  That way the great Canadian people would continue to receive the services and benefits to which we are entitled.  As the great comedian John Belushi would say......Nah!

Message 121 of 317
latest reply

Well this news is better than nothing.

I really doubt there would have been (or will be) a full lockout as of midnight tonight.

As I commented in another post, the first step will no doubt be to start cutting workers hours and shifts back.  Puts pressure on the union, keeps the postal system functioning and addresses the reduced mail volume issue by reducing CP's labour costs.

If that doesn't work within a week or two, then I could see a full blown lockout....but even then I think there would be forewarning by CP that it is coming....they have been very good at communicating with the public.

I'm so sure that this will be the strategy that I have left my store open.  I feel I will have enough time to shut down and still get packages out of the country in time, in the event of a full blown lockout.  Canadians pretty much know the score and for the most part have stopped buying from me.  I just need about 48 hours for international packages to leave Canada.  It's a bit of a gamble but one i'm willing to take.

The fact that the two sides are talking again is both surprising and hopeful.  It also suggests there has been some action going on behind the scenes...

Message 122 of 317
latest reply

Postal service will not be interrupted while talks continue

OTTAWA, July 10, 2016 /CNW/ - Earlier today, the Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour, MaryAnn Mihychuk, encouraged both Canada Post and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers to continue their discussions beyond the lockout notice. 

Accordingly the Corporation has withdrawn its 72-hour notice. As a result, there will not be a lockout, which will allow both parties to focus their efforts on serious negotiations. 

We are also expecting the union to honour their repeated public statements that they have no plans to issue a strike notice. Assurance from both parties that the postal system will remain open for business while we negotiate will provide the certainty that Canadians and our employees are looking for.

Canada Post is committed to negotiating agreements that are fair to our employees while providing affordable pricing and service to Canadians. 

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/postal-service-will-not-be-interrupted-while-talks-continue-586...

Message 123 of 317
latest reply

And what happens if they can't reach an agreement?

And what is the time frame for this set of negotiations?

Message 124 of 317
latest reply

Hooray. Thanks for the update, I will add it to the thread I started on this about a week ago. 

Message 126 of 317
latest reply

Sorry, this statement is what we have been going through for how long already. This does not say anything that was not there before, but they will give 72 hr notice again, and again, and again. See my 2 questions above.

In the event of a strike or lockout, either party has to issue a 72-hour notice and should this occur we would advise you immediately. At that time, we would work with customers to keep them informed and to prevent product from being trapped in the postal system.

Message 127 of 317
latest reply

It's better than nothing. I'd rather be back to 'maybe 72 hours from now something will happen' instead of 'we're **bleep**ting this *bleep* down right now'. Three business days is enough time to clear Customs for outbound parcels and enough time to deliver to much of domestic Canada via Expedited Parcel from where I live. I'll take this, gladly, until the Corporation and Union decide where to go from here. 

Message 128 of 317
latest reply

I understand that this is not the end of the story but I do not care how soon it ends as long as there is no interruption of postal service... at least for now.

I took my "voluntary" vacation in June and now I took it because of the postal situation...

I feel it very much financially.

Message 129 of 317
latest reply

I hear you. I chose to remain open and while sales have been slow, they have at least been sufficient to cover my ebay fees for June which are due July 15. If I had closed, not only would I not be making money, I would be in the hole. 

Message 130 of 317
latest reply

This latest negotiations update is the worst outcome yet, this is exactly what the CUPW wanted to stall AGAIN. CP needs to proceed with a lockout or the CUPW needs to accept and come to an agreement. So here we sit and wait yet again, NOTHING has changed. No sympathy or confidence in CP or CUPW. This is not going to increase the all ready 80% if not more by now parcel volume decrease. Enough is enough with this childish game. "we would work with customers to keep them informed and to prevent product from being trapped in the postal system" sure they will, don`t fall for this cloudy statement.

Message 131 of 317
latest reply

I agree with you 100%. Sad to say, but they are both becoming the laughing stock of the business world, and both will be despised more than ever before

If they serve notice on Friday, how much mail do you think will move before oops, doors close or oops on strike. They must have got their training from Ebay with their wishy washy statements.

Message 132 of 317
latest reply

How long are they prepared to drag this on, They are only in the 8th month now. Oh, with the government now involved, it could take years or days, meanwhile the public has no idea what to do.

Maybe the government should just say, keep doing what you are doing with your old contract, no strike or lockout allowed, just keep on negotiating as long as it takes.

At least the public will no longer care as they are not hurt in any way financially

Message 133 of 317
latest reply

The Parties Continue to Meet
Share This

Monday July 11 2016
No 41
2015-2019/141

Negotiations are continuing in an effort to achieve new collective agreements for both the RSMC and Urban bargaining units. The parties are working long hours to achieve this goal. We remain committed to negotiating fair collective agreements, as we have since the beginning of this process. We're encouraged that Canada Post now shares that perspective. We have no plans to issue a 72-hour notice.

Minister of Labour Issues Statement

Yesterday, the Honourable MaryAnn Mihychuk, Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour issued a statement regarding our negotiations.

“I am pleased that there has been movement at the bargaining table and that progress is being made. I encourage both Canada Post and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers to continue their discussions beyond the lockout notice deadline. I remain hopeful that an agreement can be reached by the parties.

Federal mediators have been assisting the parties in their negotiations. Our government supports a fair and balanced collective bargaining process…”

CPC Withdraws 72-Hour Notice

Seemingly Canada Post reacted to Minister Mihychuk’s appeal and issued the following statement last night:

“Accordingly the Corporation has withdrawn its 72-hour notice. As a result, there will not be a lockout, which will allow both parties to focus their efforts on serious negotiations. 

We are also expecting the union to honour their repeated public statements that they have no plans to issue a strike notice. Assurance from both parties that the postal system will remain open for business while we negotiate will provide the certainty that Canadians and our employees are looking for.

Canada Post is committed to negotiating agreements that are fair to our employees while providing affordable pricing and service to Canadians.”

What Now?

The Liberal Government is monitoring our negotiations very closely and encouraging the parties to reach agreements. Our Negotiating Committee will continue to encourage CPC to negotiate in good faith. We need to continue to be strong and determined in the days to come to achieve our goal. To ensure that you are fully informed, monitor Union communications closely.

Solidarity and Determination Will Get Us the
Agreements We Deserve!

Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit
George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit
Message 134 of 317
latest reply

Big banks can lobby all they want but postal banking is still on the table: union

Wednesday July 13 2016

For Immediate Release

OTTAWA - While pay equity and pensions have grabbed headlines during the current round of bargaining with Canada Post, postal workers say there are other matters on the table, including bringing back postal banking, an idea which has just been rejected by the big bank lobby.

“We’re not surprised that the big banks, which raked in a $35 billion profit last year by gouging Canadians with some of the highest fees in the world, would oppose a public banking option,” said Mike Palecek, president of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers.

Aside from making postal banking a bargaining demand, the CUPW, together with the Canadian Postmasters and Assistants Association (CPAA), has been actively campaigning for the return of the Canadian postal bank as a way to shore up revenues and offer new public services.

“Post offices have worked and could work very well as banks. We are already processing other financial transactions such as money orders,” said Palecek.

“If Loblaws and Canadian Tire are doing it, why shouldn’t Canada Post? We are everywhere in the country.”

Contrary to lobbyists’ claims that Canadians are already “well-served” by the big banks, Palecek points to recent research from John Anderson and the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives that shows the big banks withdrawing and closing branches in many parts of the country, while millions of Canadians are either underbanked or forced to resort to payday lenders and other fringe financial institutions that charge usurious fees.

Many other countries around the world, including Switzerland, New Zealand, the UK and France, have successfully introduced postal banking. Canada Post conducted a four-year study on postal banking, which it refuses to disclose, although a heavily censored version that refers to postal banking as a “win-win strategy” was obtained via an Access to Information request.

“In this round of bargaining and in the public postal review, we will keep pushing for better services for all Canadians,” said Palecek.

Message 135 of 317
latest reply

I really don't know where they got this guy, but he is right off the wall and does not have a clue about most of the stuff he talks about. Maybe he should think about things before he chooses to discuss them.

Message 136 of 317
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I really don't know where they got this guy, but he is right off the wall and does not have a clue about most of the stuff he talks about. Maybe he should think about things before he chooses to discuss them.

What are you taking issue with specifically?

Message 137 of 317
latest reply

Good link, very informative.
Message 139 of 317
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

It's better than nothing. I'd rather be back to 'maybe 72 hours from now something will happen' instead of 'we're **bleep**ting this *bleep* down right now'. Three business days is enough time to clear Customs for outbound parcels and enough time to deliver to much of domestic Canada via Expedited Parcel from where I live. 

It is better than being under a 72-hour notice, but for some of us 3 days is a real risk.  I'm taking a bit of a nail-biter chance staying open, because quite often it can take 4 days for my parcels to get over the border (and I sell almost exclusively to the U.S.)  

The fact that eBay has now removed some of its postal disruption measures to alert buyers and/or assist sellers isn't much help either.  

Unfortunately we could be on the edge of our seats for weeks (or months?) if this CP/CUPW impasse carries on.  I would almost rather one side or the other get on with their worst shot if they can't come to an agreement, rather than leaving the country in a perpetual state of suspension.  

Message 140 of 317
latest reply