Canada Post Strike Update July

Canada Post extremely disappointed with CUPW’s response to its offers

Dear Canada Post customer,

I am writing to update you on our negotiations and advise you that there can be no legal work disruption before the expiry of a 72-hour notice, and one has yet to be filed.

On Saturday, June 25, 2016, we tabled offers in our separate negotiations with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC), which represent our delivery agents and plant employees. Our offers were designed to help bring a quick resolution to the negotiations and end the uncertainty that is negatively impacting our customers and our employees. Our offers included modest and manageable wage increases for all employees and no changes to the pension for all employees in the plan.

As you can read in our public statement, we are extremely disappointed with the response from CUPW. Late Friday evening, CUPW tabled offers that would add at least $1 billion in new costs over the term of a new collective agreement while rejecting the Corporation’s approach to address the long-term issues with the employee pension plan.

Rather than saddle customers with more than $1 billion in new costs, Canada Post continues to remain at the table to negotiate an agreement that is reasonable and affordable. In the event of a full disruption, Canada Post will not operate, deliver or accept new items. We will keep you updated on our progress.

Thank you for your business and your continued patience.

Sincerely,
Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 1 of 317
latest reply
316 REPLIES 316

@skylarstuff wrote:

Interesting article

http://business.financialpost.com/executive/careers/canada-post-is-right-defined-benefit-pension-pla...

No kidding!  Wow, spoken like a true right-wing ultra-conservative lawyer.  Let me guess -- his labour law firm regularly represents corporations.

I honestly gasped at this paragraph ("beat 'em while they're down"): 

"Canada Post [..] is well situated to use this opportunity with a union without bargaining power to redress the historic overcompensation of its members. If it succeeds and members quit as a result (which they won’t), they are easily replaceable. If postal workers opt to strike, it would be seamlessly simple to replace them for the duration of a strike, with employees delighted to have a job at lower wages than the incumbents."

It seems to me I can recall 19th century robber-barons expressing the same sentiments.  He thinks a ca. $50,000 wage is outrageously high these days.  I'd say it's a barely a decent middle-class income.  These are the people who buy houses, cars, appliances, and miscellaneous goods that keep others employed.  

To listen to this guy, everyone should be paid the lowest possible wage, preferably minimum wage.  I wonder what his own annual income is?  It's so easy to sit on high and say pensions aren't justifiable when you have a 6-figure income, a well-padded RRSP, a million-dollar house (or two) and no worries about scraping by as an elderly person.  

His total lack of understanding of the social and economic benefits of a well-paid workforce is appalling.  Were it not for the efforts of unions over the past 100 years, most working people would still be eking out a meagre existence under sweatshop conditions.  Do we really think the corporate bosses would do otherwise if there weren't any pressure from organized groups?  

He has a point that the union's power in being able to use a strike as a bargaining tool is less than it once was, but that doesn't mean they don't have any public support.  Not that I'm not in favour of some compromise by the union, but I certainly hope Canada Post management isn't adopting this kind of ugly hard-nosed position. 

Message 141 of 317
latest reply

Here is a glimpse on whats taking place each day of meetings......    

Parties Are Meeting

Wednesday July 13 2016
2015-2019/142

We remain committed to the negotiating process and continue to meet with Canada Post and the mediators. We are attempting to move talks forward by discussing issues with little or no monetary impact, but progress is very slow.

Issues Being Discussed

On Monday, the parties discussed RSMC restructures and maximizing full-time positions while understanding that there will be a need for a process to address unique situations. We also discussed several other issues including seniority, the Short-Term Disability Plan (STDP), transfer rights, cease and desist and RSMC uniforms. Little progress was made but CPC will come back with answers to several of the issues.

Yesterday (Tuesday), we met with the employer on Appendix “T”, one-bundle delivery, not filling vacant positions, pay in arrears, the list of national arbitrators and human rights & health and safety training. This meeting was not productive on most issues.

Today’s Meetings

Today we met the mediators and discussed proposals for moving negotiations forward. There was also a discussion about the financial situation of Canada Post. This afternoon we met on both RSMC and Urban issues. Although we are still very far from reaching agreements some progress was made on some issues.

Lockout Averted: Real Negotiations Must Begin

Parcel volumes are starting to return to the system even though both parties have the right to strike and lockout. It is now obvious that in mid-June, when CPC provided notice to large volume mailers not to mail after June 26th, the Corporation was preparing for a lockout. It is now time for CPC to really negotiate.

Stay Strong, Stay Determined.
We Deserve Good Collective Agreements!

Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit
George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit
Message 142 of 317
latest reply

There should be an embargo on the propaganda while negotiations are underway.
Message 143 of 317
latest reply

And another example from Levitt's poison pen: 

http://business.financialpost.com/executive/management-hr/the-ruthless-jeff-bezos-amazon-culture-wou...

In a world that people like this would make, employees are nothing but dispensable parts in an endlessly demanding machine, to be summarily ejected and replaced if they under-perform.  Really not much different from what our progressive society in Canada left behind over a century ago.  Shocking actually to hear from a 21st century commentator. 

This reminds me of the story of Jimmy Pattison, who built himself a small empire by starting with a car dealership where the person whose sales figures were lowest in a given month was automatically fired, no ifs, ands or buts.  The utter terror must have been successful in motivating people, but can you imagine the corrosive work atmosphere and the wake of personal desperation Pattison left behind him?  

Today Google, on the other hand (as one example), has proven that encouraging flexibility and cooperation amongst employees, together with good remuneration and rewards, can be a winning corporate strategy.  

Message 144 of 317
latest reply

But you also have to remember the other side.

Where I used to work, I heard from many employees they took their 1 paid sick day a month because they were entitled to it  Not because they were sick. Many other similar comments.

Employer today :  I want the most out of you, for the least possible money, for the longest possible time

Employee today:  I want the most I can get for doing the least with regular raises until I retire, good benefits and a full pension when I retire 

or decide to leave

That is the general gist today for many employers and employees as neither has any liking or respect for the other. It is one big reason why many companies don't have what I call career employees any more. In the olden days, many employees were happy and stayed on the job until they retired and many were glad to have good employees. That was true for both union and non union.

There was cooperation and respect between employers and employees. Today, each is using the other for their own benefit which always leads to many issues into the future.

Message 145 of 317
latest reply

""Canada Post [..] is well situated to use this opportunity with a union without bargaining power to redress the historic overcompensation of its members. If it succeeds and members quit as a result (which they won’t), they are easily replaceable. If postal workers opt to strike, it would be seamlessly simple to replace them for the duration of a strike, with employees delighted to have a job at lower wages than the incumbents.""

That could have been written by the C D Howe Institute.

Message 146 of 317
latest reply

Now Is The Time!

Thursday July 14 2016
2015-2019/143
No 43

Talks are continuing and some progress is being made. Now is the time to send a strong message to Canada Post that we are still ready to negotiate seriously, to get new collective agreements.

Messages from the Work Floor

Many Locals have been doing various activities on the work floor to send messages to local management telling them that our demands are important. Now more than ever, we must get our message heard. Through various activities, we can let management know that we are encouraged that there is some progress, but the clock is ticking and we need to pick up the pace. Let them know that we have always wanted negotiated collective agreements and that we are ready to resolve the outstanding issues. Please keep up the good work that you are doing out in the Locals. We cannot achieve our goals without everyone’s support.

Today’s Update

The parties met today on a number of issues. We are now very close to finalizing the right of RSMC route holders and permanent relief employees to transfer nation-wide by seniority. We also provided contract language for our proposal to establish seniority dates for RSMCs based on the first day of work at CPC. This will not change provisions such as vacation entitlements, which are based on the date of continuous service. With respect to urban workers, we have made significant progress on the issue of Group 1 temporary employees being sent home by reverse order of seniority. Discussions are also continuing with respect to health and safety training and Appendix “T”, which governs job creation and service expansion initiatives.

The Union also pressed hard for our demand that CPC be responsible for arranging relief for all RSMC absences. We noted that in all other industries it is normally an employer’s responsibility to ensure replacements for workers who are absent.

Our Future is Now!

We have said it before, but the message needs repeating: This round of bargaining is about the future for all postal workers within CUPW. This is the year we must make improvements in both the RSMC and Urban collective agreements. We deserve better working conditions, fair wages, enough staff to get the work done safely, and a secure future both during our working time and after we retire. We are the face of Canada Post and we provide a valuable service to the public. It is time for CPC to recognize this fact.

We Deserve Good Working Conditions and a Secure Retirement!

Sylvain Lapointe
George Floresco
Message 148 of 317
latest reply

I wonder what exactly they are doing to let management know that their demands are important??

Message 149 of 317
latest reply

Yes, I  wondered the same thing. 

Maybe gifts in brown paper bags lit aflame and left on the doorstep?

Hardy har har.

Message 150 of 317
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I wonder what exactly they are doing to let management know that their demands are important??

This is exactly why I closed my store for a bit earlier.

My interpretation of this is "misadventure", ie bins, packages routed to the wrong places, put in the back corner for a couple days etc. This is exactly the thing that I've been most worried about.

Having said this I sent a box to Toronto yesterday, (it is about 2 hrs from me), it is out for delivery today (1 day is normal), so at least one item is going at the normal speed!

I sincerely hope that the on the floor people understand that intentionally causing "misadventure" also hurts the customers too.....

I really hope this is soon resolved.

Message 151 of 317
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

This is exactly why I closed my store for a bit earlier.

My interpretation of this is "misadventure", ie bins, packages routed to the wrong places, put in the back corner for a couple days etc. This is exactly the thing that I've been most worried about.

Having said this I sent a box to Toronto yesterday, (it is about 2 hrs from me), it is out for delivery today (1 day is normal), so at least one item is going at the normal speed!

I sincerely hope that the on the floor people understand that intentionally causing "misadventure" also hurts the customers too.....

I really hope this is soon resolved.

I think that is as "resolved" as it is going to be, for a long time. Both sides went to the abyss and neither saw a "win" with a work stoppage. The real negotiating stats now.

How long will it take? Could be a year. I re-opened back on Monday. Took parcels into my PO and the folks were practically walking on air. There was a major feeling of relief in the air.

That is rude assuming internal dissension. That is deliberate actions leading directly to disciplinary action and termination. These are ordinary people doing a ordinary job, exactly the same as us.

Photobucket
Message 152 of 317
latest reply

I'm not sure about how the "rude" is to be interpreted.

I have been very close to the postal world for over 37 years now. I have been close with a large number of PO workers in that time, a benefit of living in the country.

The ordinary person like you or me doing their ordinary job, which is the vast majority of the PO staff, aren't the ones I am worried about.

I'm worried about the very small portion that sends messages in a way that impact the customer.

I know from discussions with PO staff over the years and through many strike situations that this kind of stuff happens sometimes. In theory it is much more likely to happen when folks are frustrated, as some of them are now. (The large majority of PO staff are probably very worried just like most of us). Disciplinary action and termination for deliberate actions only happen when the source is identified and documented, and the visibility of doing that during negotiations would be very problematic, probably for both sides. 

I most sincerely hope that the negotiations move forward positively, and that encouragement to send messages isn't misinterpreted the wrong way, impacting ordinary folks like us, just trying to make a living.  

Message 153 of 317
latest reply

It's true that people make more mistakes, have more accidents, and are prone to lapses of good judgment when they are under duress and unusual stress. Generally speaking, a potential labour disruption is an excellent example of unusual stress. And in times of strife when emotions run close to the surface, people are more likely to act in ways they would not normally as a result of such frustration. 

As outsiders, we are probably reading more into the 'send a message to management' edict than really exists. To us, it may be taken as sounding ominous when, to a postal worker, it may mean as little as Fill Out Your Employee Suggestion Box Ballot to say..... 'Stick to Collective Bargaining, I deserve respect'. 

We just don't know. 

Something like kicking customer's parcels from the truck to doorstep doesn't seem like a good long-term strategy. I don't think that's what it could have meant.

Message 154 of 317
latest reply

Yep I agree.

Destroying something would be beyond what I too would expect anyone to do. (I've never heard anyone on the "inside" talking of anyone purposefully damaging/destroying anything)

Misrouting/temporarily misplacing stuff doesn't really "hurt" anyone, or destroy anything. It just delays the arrival of the package.

In years/strikes gone by, that didn't worry me much if at all. Now with the current measures, and since timeliness is almost the only one, misrouting etc worries me a lot more.

That is all I meant.

Certainly a good example of how hard it is to convey one's message in writing.....
Message 155 of 317
latest reply

Ah yes, delayed packages. Those cost the company in real hard dollars. Expedited, which I expect most of us use for domestic tracked services is a guaranteed delivery standard.

And I never allow a delivery standard not met to be overlooked. My claims are always submit and settled, because I'm a jerk that way. 

Message 156 of 317
latest reply

Got an email from eBay this morning... effectively saying.....it is ... OK... to reopen the store.

I am very hesitant to do so... because....  nothing has been decided....    Too much still on the table...

Talks continue.... and that 72 hour window continues to be there....either a strike or a Lockout....

I will wait until August 1....  lots should be decided by then...  but then perhaps nothing really critical.

The potential of having mail caught in the postal system  is still very high.... and something I do like to foresee.

Message 157 of 317
latest reply

Slow Progress at the Bargaining Table

Friday July 15 2016
No 44
2015-2019/144

Today we met with the mediators and also with Canada Post management.

The Role of the Mediators

Our discussions with the mediators are held on a confidential basis and therefore we cannot provide specific details. However we can say that today, in our discussions with the mediators, we reviewed several issues where the parties are close to an agreement with the exception of one or two aspects. We also identified several other issues which we believe should be placed on the agenda for the parties to negotiate.

The role of the mediators is not to pass judgement on the parties or to take sides. However, the mediators can provide important insights as to how to move negotiations forward and reach agreements. We are fortunate to have experienced and knowledgeable mediators to assist us.

Today and Tomorrow

Today we met with CPC and reviewed contractual language that has been submitted on the issue of national transfers for RSMCs. While there is a broad agreement on providing RSMCs with the right to transfer on a national basis, there are still associated issues that require discussion such as the process governing the application for transfers. The discussions were positive.

Tomorrow we plan to have a discussion with CPC on all of the major issues that must be addressed next week.

A Slow, Careful Process

One of the reasons why negotiations require lots of time is that both parties not only discuss very many complex issues, they are also required to develop, review, and exchange collective agreement language every time they make a proposal. For the party receiving the proposal, a careful examination of the proposed contractual language is necessary to confirm that it truly represents the understanding that both parties have on an issue. Every time either party changes their position on an issue, if only slightly, there is a requirement to change the language. Sometimes this is simple. Other times it can be very complicated. Your negotiating committee is willing to take all the time that is required because it is through this process that we will negotiate collective agreements that postal workers deserve.

Let’s Do It Right and Get the Collective Agreements We Deserve!

Sylvain Lapointe
George Floresco
Message 158 of 317
latest reply

Parties Work On Outstanding Issues

Saturday July 16 2016
No 45
2015-2019/145

We are continuing to meet with Canada Post to attempt to resolve the outstanding issues. We are reviewing those that are close to being resolved and the major ones that must be addressed.

Priority Issues

During the next week, we are determined to make substantial progress on some of our major demands. We must deal with Group 1 staffing, RSMC hours of work and pay for all hours worked, one bundle delivery for letter carriers and wages for Groups 3 & 4. These are just a few of the important issues that we must resolve.

Today’s Update

Today we met with CPC and reviewed the status of the negotiations. We agreed on the issues that were resolved and discussed a plan to resolve issues that are close to being settled. We also discussed our plan for the coming week and each side put forward their key issues for discussions.

Solidarity and Support

The negotiating committee, the NEB and our support staff are working long hours as we strive to achieve negotiated collective agreements. Your solidarity and support are what helps keep us going. Continue sending messages and posting pictures of your activities. Keep reminding our employer that we have always wanted, and continue to want, to negotiate good collective agreements for all postal workers. We are determined and will keep fighting for the agreements that we deserve.

OUR SOLIDARITY WILL HELP US ACHIEVE THE COLLECTIVE AGREEMENTS THAT WE DESERVE!
Sylvain Lapointe
George Floresco
Message 159 of 317
latest reply

These reports are most interesting.... but ... What does CPC say?

How much longer to resolve everything?

and ..... How long before someone says... Enough is Enough

Or... alternatively...  What was discussed over the first 6 months of 2016?

Message 160 of 317
latest reply