Canada Post Strike Update July

Canada Post extremely disappointed with CUPW’s response to its offers

Dear Canada Post customer,

I am writing to update you on our negotiations and advise you that there can be no legal work disruption before the expiry of a 72-hour notice, and one has yet to be filed.

On Saturday, June 25, 2016, we tabled offers in our separate negotiations with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC), which represent our delivery agents and plant employees. Our offers were designed to help bring a quick resolution to the negotiations and end the uncertainty that is negatively impacting our customers and our employees. Our offers included modest and manageable wage increases for all employees and no changes to the pension for all employees in the plan.

As you can read in our public statement, we are extremely disappointed with the response from CUPW. Late Friday evening, CUPW tabled offers that would add at least $1 billion in new costs over the term of a new collective agreement while rejecting the Corporation’s approach to address the long-term issues with the employee pension plan.

Rather than saddle customers with more than $1 billion in new costs, Canada Post continues to remain at the table to negotiate an agreement that is reasonable and affordable. In the event of a full disruption, Canada Post will not operate, deliver or accept new items. We will keep you updated on our progress.

Thank you for your business and your continued patience.

Sincerely,
Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 1 of 317
latest reply
316 REPLIES 316

Unless I am mistaken, Canada Post has not made an announcement since July 10.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/list.page?cattype=announcements&cat=newsrelease...

They don't seem to be doing to daily rah-rah for the troops that CUPW is doing. 

Message 161 of 317
latest reply

It could be the Government is being informed on a daily basis

And how long before the Government makes some form of decision

Message 162 of 317
latest reply

Our Priorities Must Be Addressed

Sunday July 17 2016
No. 46
2015-2019/146

At our last meeting with Canada Post, in the presence of the mediators, we continued to discuss various issues.

We stressed the need to quickly start addressing our priorities.

We continued to insist on the need to obtain a guaranteed number of hours for RSMCs and the payment of all hours worked at the appropriate rate. We also raised the fact that it is unacceptable for RSMCs to be required to find their own replacements. Such a responsibility should rest with Canada Post management.

For the urban unit, some of the issues that need to be resolved are minimizing overtime on own route, staffing levels for Group 1, wage adjustments for Groups 3 & 4 and the one-bundle delivery method.

The Short-Term Disability Program (STDP) also needs to be addressed for both bargaining units.

We remain determined to protect the rights of all current and future members to a defined benefit pension plan.

WE DESERVE FAIR WORKING CONDITIONS

We want the fair, equitable and safe working conditions we deserve. This can only be accomplished through real negotiations, which is a fundamental right for all workers. CUPW continues to be determined to negotiate. Our strength and solidarity sends a strong and clear message to Canada Post that it must negotiate and recognize our rights.

STAY UNITED!
Sylvain Lapointe
Chief Negotiator, Urban Unit
George Floresco
Chief Negotiator, RSMC Unit
Message 163 of 317
latest reply

Here is some interesting reading from Canada Post documents.... dated June 26...

Some answers as to how rural delivery personnel are paid....

plus lots ,more

Link to 

http://cupw-rsmc.infopost.ca/canada-post-tables-offer-to-cupw-rsmc-to-avert-work-disruption/

Message 164 of 317
latest reply

Maybe I should put my store on vacation again.

This just gets worse and worse with every announcement.

I wish CP would not have backed down because this is going absolutely nowhere.

Message 165 of 317
latest reply

Oh, and I am waiting!

Message 166 of 317
latest reply

We are all waiting.....

Will the sky fall?

Or.... Will there be a revelation?

Message 167 of 317
latest reply

That is not what I meant, I am waiting for something else.

But also waiting for that, and the sooner the better but won't hold my breath!

Message 168 of 317
latest reply

Will This Be The Week?

Monday July 18 2016
No 47
2015-2019/147

The parties have been making some progress at the bargaining table, but we still have many key issues that need to be addressed. Will this be the week we start to see movement on the major demands that we still need to achieve? Only time will tell.

The Next Step

Over the weekend, the bulletins provided you with updates on some of the priority issues that must be resolved. This week, we must push hard on Canada Post to get these union priorities settled. The agenda must be focused on our demands and the improvements that all of us deserve. The Negotiating Committee will be meeting with Canada Post and the mediators on a regular basis as we try to move these negotiations forward at a faster pace. These are complex issues and our Negotiating Committee will remain focussed and determined so that we achieve the collective agreements that we deserve.

Today’s News

Today we met with CPC and continued to work on finalizing the issues that we are close on. We continued to review and correct the language in the various proposals.

Show Them That We Are Ready

This has been a long process but the end could be in sight. We have shown Canada Post that our solidarity is strong, that we are united and determined to support our demands. We will continue with the same messages, the same work floor activities and the same solidarity and strength that brought us to this point in the process. We are ready for fair collective agreements that have been freely-negotiated, contain no rollbacks and provide all postal workers with the wages, working conditions, health and safety protections and equality we deserve.

Will Fight for What is Right! – Good Collective Agreements for All of Us
Sylvain Lapointe
George Floresco
Message 169 of 317
latest reply

Will This Be The Week?
Share This

Monday July 18 2016
No 47
2015-2019/147

The parties have been making some progress at the bargaining table, but we still have many key issues that need to be addressed. Will this be the week we start to see movement on the major demands that we still need to achieve? Only time will tell.

The Next Step

Over the weekend, the bulletins provided you with updates on some of the priority issues that must be resolved. This week, we must push hard on Canada Post to get these union priorities settled. The agenda must be focused on our demands and the improvements that all of us deserve. The Negotiating Committee will be meeting with Canada Post and the mediators on a regular basis as we try to move these negotiations forward at a faster pace. These are complex issues and our Negotiating Committee will remain focussed and determined so that we achieve the collective agreements that we deserve.

Today’s News

Today we met with CPC and continued to work on finalizing the issues that we are close on. We continued to review and correct the language in the various proposals.

Show Them That We Are Ready

This has been a long process but the end could be in sight. We have shown Canada Post that our solidarity is strong, that we are united and determined to support our demands. We will continue with the same messages, the same work floor activities and the same solidarity and strength that brought us to this point in the process. We are ready for fair collective agreements that have been freely-negotiated, contain no rollbacks and provide all postal workers with the wages, working conditions, health and safety protections and equality we deserve.

Will Fight for What is Right! – Good Collective Agreements for All of Us
Sylvain Lapointe
George Floresco
Message 170 of 317
latest reply

I was just about to open my stores, does this mean I shouldn't? Is 72 hours enough time for items to get out of Canada and into the US?
Message 171 of 317
latest reply

These guys need to go for psych help, they are suffering from delusional fantasies!

Message 172 of 317
latest reply

Postal service continues while talks are underway

Dear Canada Post customer,

Discussions between the company and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) continue with the objective of reaching negotiated settlements.

The postal system is open for business while negotiations continue. Mail and parcels are being processed and delivered across the country as normal.

With respect to negotiations, both parties remain at the table. While discussions are underway, we will not be discussing specific issues at the table unless there are significant developments. However, we will continue to keep you updated on a regular basis as we have been throughout this process.

Information related to negotiations can also be found at canadapost.ca/update, where you can sign up for email updates.

Thank you for your business and your patience.

Sincerely,

Serge Pitre
Vice-president, Sales
Canada Post Corporation
Message 173 of 317
latest reply

@eurobeads wrote:
I was just about to open my stores, does this mean I shouldn't? Is 72 hours enough time for items to get out of Canada and into the US?

Depends where you are located. Where I am (Cambridge, Ontario), I figure most of my stuff has left Canada in 2 business days.

I figure both sides will keep to the unofficial 30 day cool off period (from July 11) of no strike / no lockout. Then back to some more heavy shipping weather.

-..-

Message 174 of 317
latest reply

My first ever late shipment defect for domestic lettermail was received in the week leading up to the July 2 deadline.
Message 175 of 317
latest reply

Since eBay-Canada indicated they would take care of sellers, have you contact eBay to have the defect removed?

Message 176 of 317
latest reply

Not yet. I saw it only this morning. It was the week leading up to it, before the seller protections were announced. Do you think I should float it at Board Hour?
Message 177 of 317
latest reply

Here is my take for what it is worth that you may hear:

Since there was no actual postal disruption or stoppage of mail, and the protection was only there if there was a stoppage, we can't remove it. Keep in mind there is leeway given as a % hence, 1 will not hurt you.

But it does not hurt to try.

I have 2 defects, both from +5000 feedback buyers in the US

Message 178 of 317
latest reply

I think you're right but I'll give it a shot, regardless.
Message 179 of 317
latest reply

Slow and Steady Progress

Tuesday July 19 2016
2015-2019/148
No 48

The parties are making progress on some issues. We are continuing to meet with Canada Post and remain determined to achieve our goal of negotiated collective agreements.

Some Success for RSMCs

Today, we were finally able to agree on a process that will allow RSMC route holders and permanent relief employees to utilize their seniority to apply for any vacant route or permanent relief position in the country. RSMCs can now benefit from their dedicated service and transfer to a new location without a 75 km restriction. This is an important step for all RSMCs. We continue to make progress on our seniority demand and will try to finalize the discussions by the end of the week.

Progress for Urban Members

We met with CPC today and continue to work on a solution to resolve the many problems with Group 1 (internal workers) staffing. We will push hard until we agree on a process to improve Group 1 staffing and to protect regular jobs. Talks continue on important health and safety issues, including unwanted overtime for Group 2 and the Short-Term Disability Plan (STDP). Discussions also took place on access to information for letter carrier routes.

Crucial Negotiations For Our Future

As we go about our daily routine, it is easy to forget about how important this round of negotiations is for all postal workers. We have a lot to protect and a lot to gain. This round is about each and every postal worker and we must always remember that. We need to continue to remind our supervisors or local postal officials on a daily basis, that we deserve good collective agreements and that we will all benefit from improved working conditions, wages and benefits.

We Are in This Struggle to the End! Solidarity!
Sylvain Lapointe
George Floresco
Message 180 of 317
latest reply