Canada Post Xpresspost Rates

Hey guys, 

I am not too sure if this is happening on my end but my Xpresspost rates to ship locally and across the country are surprisingly cheap from what I remember. I am checking rates for packages under a pound and a little over a pound with the dimensions around 9"x6"x4"( as this is the size boxes I normally use). Shipping out from ON, by the way.

These are the rates its displaying in PayPal for a 1lbs parcel, 9x6x4":

ON: Avg around $9-$12

QC: Avg around $11-$13

NL & BC : Avg around $17-$22

AB & SK: Avg around $14-$17

I mean for the price of Xpresspost, it is almost the same price as Expedited Parcels. I had some issues with Expedited Parcels and I have discussed them with CP and I believe it has to do with local management in my area. I've noticed that Expedited Parcels are less cared about compared to Priority and Xpresspost(For obvious reasons)which is not right. 

I also had an issue recently with a shipment I sent out via Expedited Parcel going to SK. I shipped with them because I wanted to see how the service was from the last time I used it.

I've used Xpresspost in the past, myself and my buyers love it. But with the whole Expedited Parcels issue I was having months back, I stopped using CP and paying for my labels off PayPal and was using Purolator more often due to better rates. 

But when I saw these Xpresspost rates, I am thinking of going back to Canada Post and most likely will use Xpresspost for more of the expensive items. I will have to figure something out. 

I wanted to ask you guys, is it me or is anyone else seeing these rates because in all honesty, I do not remember Xpresspost being this cheap? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!! Yes, I as well have observed over the several past years or so that XpressPost is only a small jump up in $$ from Expedited -- 4 or 5 bucks or so :). (AND yes the remote Northern Addresses do not apply to this rule, Nunavut, etc -- holy $$$ indeed).

Unless the customer asks for a quick delivery or specifically for XpressPost, I always go the Expedited within Canada route as I like to save any $ I can. ( the Scottish roots perhaps, what can I say lol :).

I have also noted that if the buyer is within a fair vicinity (I am in Toronto, On ) Expedited is actually a buck or two CHEAPER than Regular Parcel Post and delivers like XpressPost to sister cities (even as far as Barrie) -- customers get their packages within 1-3 business days, so no need for XpressPost for me for close destinations.

But in short, YES, XpressPost is pretty reasonable when stepped up from Expedited.  Canada Post seems to charge an initial chunk of change for the most basic of delivery services and then it is fairly cheap & and reasonable as the distance & package size/weight climbs and same for delivery service (from Regular Parcel --> to Expedited --> to XpressPost) -- in my experience with CP.

cheers Cat Happy

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.   Yes XpressPost across Canada can be really cheap, it depends on which city to which city.  For example:  From Manitoba to Sask or Alberta or East coast are cheaper which I often use XpressPost. 

As for North Ontario, it is very expensive, around $40.00.  Since I use PayPal Shipping, I always check for both Expedited and Xpresspost for the rates and choose one.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. 

But I am finding it is really cheap to ship across the country too. Shipping out of ON to BC is around $20 which is still pretty good. 

Well, I guess I can make some room for Xpresspost now!:) 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!! Yes, I as well have observed over the several past years or so that XpressPost is only a small jump up in $$ from Expedited -- 4 or 5 bucks or so :). (AND yes the remote Northern Addresses do not apply to this rule, Nunavut, etc -- holy $$$ indeed).

Unless the customer asks for a quick delivery or specifically for XpressPost, I always go the Expedited within Canada route as I like to save any $ I can. ( the Scottish roots perhaps, what can I say lol :).

I have also noted that if the buyer is within a fair vicinity (I am in Toronto, On ) Expedited is actually a buck or two CHEAPER than Regular Parcel Post and delivers like XpressPost to sister cities (even as far as Barrie) -- customers get their packages within 1-3 business days, so no need for XpressPost for me for close destinations.

But in short, YES, XpressPost is pretty reasonable when stepped up from Expedited.  Canada Post seems to charge an initial chunk of change for the most basic of delivery services and then it is fairly cheap & and reasonable as the distance & package size/weight climbs and same for delivery service (from Regular Parcel --> to Expedited --> to XpressPost) -- in my experience with CP.

cheers Cat Happy

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the reply! 

Haha, I do the exact same too:) 

But if the item is expensive, I will usually upgrade from Expedited to Xpresspost or when its super expensive or rare, I don't send it Xpresspost at all. Usually by the discounted FedEx and Purolator rates. 

Anyways, thanks!:)

Message 5 of 5
latest reply