Canada Post new Flat Rate boxes within Canada since Oct 2016 ?

While trying to find Light Packet rates for 2017 using Google Search and reading many pages, I came across this page?

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/consumer/details.page?article=2016/10/27/new_flat_rate_boxes_...

Now you can conveniently ship items both nationally and cost-effectively with the new flat rate box from Canada Post. Available in three sizes, the flat rate box allows you to ship up to 5 kg anywhere in Canada. The price of each box includes the following features:

• Postage
  • On-time delivery guarantee*
  • Tracking
  • Delivery confirmation
  • Up to $100 of liability coverage for loss or damage**

No need to search for packaging, to measure or calculate shipping rates: if it fits, it ships. Simply pack the flat rate box without changing its dimensions and ensure its contents are secure to prevent movement during transport (see the type of items you cannot send in the mail here). Use this handy tool and check the Expedited Parcel delivery standard to find out when your items will arrive.

Purchase a flat rate box in-store at any one of 50 post office locations. Find a location near you. While only available for purchase at select stores, the boxes can be sent from any post office across Canada. The smallest flat rate box can even be sent from any street letter box. See more details about the flat rate box and its delivery standards in the tables below.

Flat Rate boxes.jpg

If I compare the small size box rate of $13.49 (price before taxes) to Canada Post Find a Rate page using the dimension given and check the 1 kg and 5 kg rate for Expedited Parcel and choose my postal code in Vancouver BC region to another Postal code in Quebec Province South of Montreal (National),

1 kg ---> $13.44 rate + 0.57 (Fuel Surcharge) = $14.01 ---> PayPal $12.19

2 kg ---> $15.24 rate + 0.65 (Fuel Surcharge) = $15.89 ---> PayPal $13.82

3 kg ---> $16.44 rate + 0.70 (Fuel Surcharge) = $17.14 ---> PayPal $14.95

4 kg ---> $17.88 rate + 0.76 (Fuel Surcharge) = $18.64 ---> PayPal $16.22

5 kg ---> $19.32 rate + 0.82 (Fuel Surcharge) = $20.14 ---> PayPal $17.52

The above rate are from Find A Rate and are for Expedited Parcel with Show Minimal Saving (5% of Regular Parcel) with sales taxes not included. PayPal Expedited Parcel rate would be about 13% less than above so I put a PayPal rate estimate.

I do not know if the $13.49 includes fuel surcharge. The above rates are from October 2016 and may not be valid for 2017.

I conclude that the small flat rate box will be cheaper than PayPal for 2 to 5 kg for National distances. It may be significantly cheaper for a buyer in a more remote location. I do not see any restrictions (like remote up north locations).

Using the above box at $13.49 for Regional and Local destination will most likely not be cheaper than PayPal  except at the highest weight 4 or 5 kg. I did not with closer Postal Codes because the Canada Post Find A Rate page is so slow to give a rate.

If someone could do some checking to confirm my conclusions to make sure I am not making any mistakes.

PS The small box size is about the size of a large box of cereal which I just measured to get an idea of the size. It appears to be a useful size unlike the eBay Canada Post Flat Rate box of years ago. The other boxes also appear to be a larger useful size.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@rose-dee wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

I still have 5 old eBay Canada Post Flat Rate boxes. I planned to use them inside out as a regular cardboard box but never had an item to fit yet 5 years later. I sell mainly small items.

I recall that experiment 7 or 8 years ago.  It eventually fizzled out, I'm recalling it may have had something to do with the actual quality of the box.  Do you know if the new boxes are similar to regular, sturdy, corrugated shipping boxes, or more like semi-sturdy cereal boxes?

The quality wasn't the problem. The box was an odd shape and as recped mentioned, it was overpriced so it wasn't practical to use it.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

I work at one of the four locations in Winnipeg where these boxes are available. I can answer any questions if you guys have any.

The boxes are surprisingly sturdy - a nice thick cardboard. Seemingly higher quality than the (very overpriced) normal cardboard boxes that Canada Post sells.

They have been selling quite well for us. We've already re-ordered once. You'd be surprised how many people come to the post office counter with just loose random items and want to mail them. This has been a popular choice for a lot of these people because they don't have to buy an overpriced Canada Post box or bubble mailer, and THEN pay for shipping on top of it. This takes care of the packaging and shipping in one simple transaction.

For people like us who have a plethora of shipping supplies and a PayPal discount, these are only going to be worth it for heavy items travelling nationally (i.e. outside your region). It should also be noted that they include $100 of insurance, but you can not purchase more than that if needed. I also don't believe there is a signature option.

Also worth noting: Solutions for Small Business customers get 5% off on these flat-rate boxes.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

2019 update: Now available at most post offices

Prepaid "if it fits it ships" flat rate box info:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/personal/sending/parcels/flat-rate-box.page?
July 2019July 2019

Message 28 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Canada Post had something similar maybe 7 or 8 years ago. They were also grossly overpriced and only useful if you were shipping boxes of rocks and even then only if it was from NL to northern BC.

I can't find the original announcement but here's a notice of them being discontinued back in 2012.

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2012/05/30/7056/

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

I still have 5 old eBay Canada Post Flat Rate boxes. I planned to use them inside out as a regular cardboard box but never had an item to fit yet 5 years later. I sell mainly small items.

The new boxes actually seem useful especially for some buyer locations within Canada. Perhaps even for for some sellers in a more remote location.

These boxes are available for purchase at select locations within Canada in major cities. It must be a pilot project by Canada Post.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

I recall that experiment 7 or 8 years ago.  It eventually fizzled out, I'm recalling it may have had something to do with the actual quality of the box.  Do you know if the new boxes are similar to regular, sturdy, corrugated shipping boxes, or more like semi-sturdy cereal boxes?

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

No idea what the cardboard thickness is on the new boxes.  I would go check into them but I looked up the available locations in BC and nearest one for me is out of my normal driving here in the lower mainland of BC. As well, the hours were 9 to 5 M-F.

Only available at the Halifax PO in Nova Scotia at this time according to their list of 50 locations across Canada.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Very interesting. Probably not useful for me but interesting nonetheless. My stuff is mostly a lot smaller like 22 x 17 x 7 cm and under 300 grams but there are sometimes occasions where I might need a bigger box where this could prove useful. 

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Sounds like Canada Post is doing some beta testing (none of those post offices are within my reach, so I'll merely watch with interest).

I did come across several pages in the new 2017 parcel rate document that deal with prepaid flat rate parcel labels.

For example: Page 18 deals with Prepaid Labels for Expedited Parcel.

Size up to 1.36kg (3220 cubic cm) - $12.63 for regional, $17.07 for national

Size up to 5.0kg (30,000 cubic cm) - $17.02 for regional, $23.20 for national

These are flat rates and fuel surcharge is included.

The catches: Not available for the territories or any destination that is an air stage office. Customer must have a Canada Post prepaid label agreement to use them.

-..-

A Canada Post air stage office (as I understand it) is where the mail arrives by air instead of surface.

-..-

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

The quality wasn't the problem. The box was an odd shape and as recped mentioned, it was overpriced so it wasn't practical to use it.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

I could see this being useful in certain circumstances although not often for me. Although it sounds as if the northern or remote areas where it would be most cost-effective to use are excluded from the offer, if I understood that correctly. I'm not sure how Canada Post would expect the seller/sender to know in advance which areas are served by fly-in mail service; there would have to be a process in place to vet that before a person tried to use the flat-rate box offering to send their stuff there. 

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

I know that in the US, the flat rate Priority boxes are usually more expensive to send than using priority and your own box so I imagine that it will be similar with these.  It might be handy to have a couple of these around for when I have a buyer on the east coast but I hate to have to pay for them and then never get to use them.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I know that in the US, the flat rate Priority boxes are usually more expensive to send than using priority and your own box so I imagine that it will be similar with these.  It might be handy to have a couple of these around for when I have a buyer on the east coast but I hate to have to pay for them and then never get to use them.

Or have the service discontinued like the old eBay Flat Rate Box. I suppose CP would give notice and a time period to use them up.

It does look like the new Flat Rate boxes are an experiment by Canada Post because of their limited availability.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Have the flat-rate boxes been promoted directly to the people who have CPC Solutions for Small Business accounts? I don't remember getting notice about it but I also don't read all my unsolicited admail.
Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I could see this being useful in certain circumstances although not often for me. Although it sounds as if the northern or remote areas where it would be most cost-effective to use are excluded from the offer, if I understood that correctly. I'm not sure how Canada Post would expect the seller/sender to know in advance which areas are served by fly-in mail service; there would have to be a process in place to vet that before a person tried to use the flat-rate box offering to send their stuff there. 

In my original post on the new flat rate boxes, the web page states "Now you can conveniently ship items both nationally and cost-effectively with the new flat rate box from Canada Post. Available in three sizes, the flat rate box allows you to ship up to 5 kg anywhere in Canada." I checked that link I posted and I do not see any restriction on these new flat rate boxes. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

In a later post (7) by ypdc_dennis, he mentions a new flat rate label which has restrictions. Not the same as my post.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Looking at the list of BC locations for Richmond, I'm surprised they have them available at the outlet in Richmond Center and Lansdown Mall, but not at the actual Canada Post office that's across from Richmond Center...

The he small and medium size is handy, but I rarely get that much sale within Canada to make them useful, unfortunately...

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Have the flat-rate boxes been promoted directly to the people who have CPC Solutions for Small Business accounts? I don't remember getting notice about it but I also don't read all my unsolicited admail.

Sample of one: No.

Although CPC might just target members that are in nearby postal codes (which I am not) who could actually pick up the boxes.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

While the box wasn't particularly sturdy, I agree that was not the main problem. It was available in just one size -- seemingly designed to fail. The outside dimensions on the largest side were 8.5x11 inches and thus too small to ship standard 8.5x11 paper items -- it was almost as if Canada Post was afraid too many people would use them. On those items that I did consider using the box it was almost always too small in at least one of dimensions.

I had 3 boxes from the initial cheap offer by Canada Post (something like 3/$2 shipped directly to you?). I used one as intended, one as a shipping box after the pricing expired and the other was finally recycled as packaging material.

-..-

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Sample of one: No.

Although CPC might just target members that are in nearby postal codes (which I am not) who could actually pick up the boxes.

I do not know how they could evaluate the new flat rate boxes with so few locations to pickup the boxes. Having to pay in advance for the boxes is also a disadvantage for their use. It seems to be just for a customer at the counter option. Of course, the customer would probably not know if it is cheaper or more expensive to use than their own box with normal Expedited Parcel rates. I can see the box being sold to customers for Local in province destinations with 1 kg weight where Canada Post would make the most profit. More upselling to the uninformed casual customer.

But there is also the convenience factor of a flat rate box to the casual customer who just needs to mail an item. Just bring the item to the counter, buy the box, toss it in (hopefully with some packaging material) and hand it back to the counter person and be done. The flat rate boxes might be a success as over the counter options.

For savy shippers who analyze their shipping costs, Canada Post would lose money on these Flat Rate boxes because as I outlined above, they would use them mercilessly to save money shipping when the Flat Rate was better than regular Expedited Parcel. Especially to those more costly remote locations. I can see them limiting the flat rate boxes like the flat rate labels if they were to be more readily available.

Perhaps the flat rate labels mentioned in another post would be used by shippers at their shipping locations would be more popular since there would be no need to go to the PO for a flat rate box.

If any of the flat rate options do become common place with Canada Post, PayPal shipping will take years to implement them in their system if at all. Smiley Frustrated

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:
...... If any of the flat rate options do become common place with Canada Post, PayPal shipping will take years to implement them in their system if at all. Smiley Frustrated

Argh, grrrr. Don't remind me. Each time I have to print a shipping label directly through the Canada Post's Electronic Shipping Tool (EST) because Paypal Shipping simply hasn't got around to updating the list of countries served by Tracked Packet MORE THAN A YEAR LATER, my blood pressure spikes. There's a list of new countries served now by Xpresspost that neither the ebay Shipping Tool nor Paypal Shipping has correlated either. It's so aggravating. I just want to be able to do my job as a seller and always the roadblocks in my path make it difficult when it doesn't need to be. 

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

I work at one of the four locations in Winnipeg where these boxes are available. I can answer any questions if you guys have any.

The boxes are surprisingly sturdy - a nice thick cardboard. Seemingly higher quality than the (very overpriced) normal cardboard boxes that Canada Post sells.

They have been selling quite well for us. We've already re-ordered once. You'd be surprised how many people come to the post office counter with just loose random items and want to mail them. This has been a popular choice for a lot of these people because they don't have to buy an overpriced Canada Post box or bubble mailer, and THEN pay for shipping on top of it. This takes care of the packaging and shipping in one simple transaction.

For people like us who have a plethora of shipping supplies and a PayPal discount, these are only going to be worth it for heavy items travelling nationally (i.e. outside your region). It should also be noted that they include $100 of insurance, but you can not purchase more than that if needed. I also don't believe there is a signature option.

Also worth noting: Solutions for Small Business customers get 5% off on these flat-rate boxes.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Thank you for the info. 🙂

Message 20 of 31
latest reply