Canadian Sellers on eBay --- Interesting situations, and approaches to selling

Seller 1….  Lists a piece of Pottery….  Ships only to Canada.

Lists domestic shipping only…..  This seller lists on eBay.com….  where domestic shipping is shipping to the US.

This seller was very new  to eBay, and did not understand listing on eBay.ca versus eBay.com

----------------------------------------

Seller 2…. Ships everything to the US using Small Packet USA….   And that includes items valued  up to $200 US.

Shipping to Canadian destinations is Canada Post''s Expedited Parcel option

Does this seller double-box breakables….. Not evident by the low prices charged for postage, within Canada and to the US.

And…  In their description it is stated that shipping  to Canada and the US is insured and with tracking….

And ......They use Small Packet for  shipping to the US……?  for everything?... For all listings

------------------------------------------- 

Seller 3 … This seller lives in Canada…. Offers a local pickup to US buyers  and international shipping to Canadian buyers….

Most evident  they are listing on eBay.com  where domestic shipping is shipping to US destinations….

And Seller 3  says that everything works for them…  Nothing wrong with their shipping options or costs

Seller 2 and Seller 3 appear to be doing OK…. But ……

Or....Do they say one thing in their listing and do something else when they ship the parcel..

and as far as Seller 2 and 3 are concerned  they are doing... nothing... wrong....

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Lots of sellers do not understand the options and what they mean. I am guessing some even think you need to list "in" the country you are selling to.

I choose "standard shipping from outside the US" as my mailing choice. I say in the listing "no tracking number".

Photobucket
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Listings on eBay.com.

Sellers have to know that domestic shipping is shipping to the US....

Is there an advantage for Canadian sellers to list on eBay.com....Some say.. Yes... while others. say... No.

Perhaps ...depends on what one sells.....

Perhaps... if US buyers are responsible for a high percentage of sales...

When a Canadian seller lists on eBay.ca.... eBay Canada....everything is in order....

(1) Domestic shipping is shipping `to Canadian destinations... and shipping to the US and elsewhere falls into a logical order.  Local pickup means just that ... in the city and district where the seller lives

(2) Canada Post can be used as a shipping option

(3) Editing... revising  postage is very easily done.... and easily identified in relation to destination

(4) Sellers can list in Canadian or US dollars...

Shipping Small Packet  to the US.

It was in January 2013 that Canada Post made changes...

Small Packet became a Canada Post option without insurance.....  and it never had tracking...

The new option with insurance and ... with tracking... was Tracked Packet.....  with insurance at a maximum of $100, and a weight maximum of one kilogram... Tracking was included...  Extra cost of about $2 to $3 for Tracked Packet..... compared to Small Packet.

Tracked packet and Small Packet are both airmail delivery to the US

For anything over  one kilogram   and/or insurance higher  than $100,  Expedited Parcel  USA is the option..

Some Canadian sellers continue to use Small packet......  There is a limit to the dollar value  that will be shipped using Small packet... $25,  $30,  but not $200......  Insurance options other than Canada Post are available....

Seller 3 is happy....  in spite of a confusing series of postage values in relation to destination... Postage cited in the listing appears to be reverse of what it should be.....  the placement of a local pickup for US buyers is an indication of this fact...

Will Seller 2 and Seller 3 change?...  Not if they are both happy with sales..

Will Seller 2 face insurance claims... that will not get paid by Canada Post?

or... Is Seller 2 saying one thing in the listing  and using another shipping option or way to have parcels insured.... and with tracking.

----------------------------------------

Seller 1 was lost in the eBay forest of listings.

Seller 2 and Seller 3 are happy and do not want to hear they are doing something wrong...

It does not matter whether it is  US sellers... or.. Canadian sellers....  They say they are doing it right... no matter what someone else might say...

and for some.....  problems come in floods... especially if eBay policies are not followed....

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Most of that has to do with shipping quotes. I was a die hard advocate of widget plus shipping. I have changed my beliefs.

Society, I "think", is rapidly switching to the "free" shipping model. I prefer the expression of shipping "included". Oh well, I can want anything my little ehart desires. Doesn't mean i am going to get it.

I do like the phrase you use: "shipping quote". That is far more accurate than "actual shipping" which never is. Again, a phrase I do not like.

I have noticed a swift and radical move to free shipping being used by my American competitors. Except for when I am listing multiples, I am switching over to the shipping included model.I just had the best month in over 2 1/2 years, by a lot. Like, double.

What am I learning? I am learning that buyers are searching and/or buying on mobile devices. Shipping, as an additional charge, is not mobile device friendly. Buyers have to stop what they are doing and use their device as a calculator to figure out the final price, that or click through to see the final cost.

"Buyers can just learn to add". Yeah, live in that world. Buyers want the description, picture, final price all in one little window. You want to drive away customers? Make them do work they do not want to do.

I have noticed this behaviour in myself. You want to add layers to the sale? I will shop somewhere else. These changes, I have noticed in my world, are only in the last 6-12 months.

The complexity of shipping services, prices, options, etc? Who wants that? No-one except for selelrs who think complexity elevates simplicity.

What I want is "Tell me the final price, what it is, when I will get it".

Photobucket
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Conclusion...

If it gets listed

and... It sells...

and.... the seller gets no negative or neutral feedback, no low DSR's.....  resulting in defects.

That seller says...

I must be doing it right.

Why should I change my way of selling?

They can do better... but choose not to listen .... 

-----------------------

We have seen that when someone comes here with a question......

and then  their whole way of selling comes under scrutiny.....Many problems  are noted...  by many who visit here... but they refuse to acknowledge that they are in error.

Many of us  have been selling on eBay  for many years  and have been through many years of selling....  and the problems are most evident to us.

The seller can do BETTER... but chooses not to listen

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Free shipping has never been defined by eBay..

It is defined by the seller....  and has become ... shipping included.

Yet eBay states the following...

If you offer free shipping in your listing—and we can confirm the buyer did not pay for shipping—you'll automatically receive a 5-star rating on your shipping and handling charges detailed seller rating..

The logic of eBay's statement escapes me ... if a seller includes the cost of shipping  in the price? 

and..... eBay accepts that as free shipping.....

Logic just jumped off my fourth floor balcony..

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Yet eBay states the following...

If you offer free shipping in your listing—and we can confirm the buyer did not pay for shipping—you'll automatically receive a 5-star rating on your shipping and handling charges detailed seller rating..

The logic of eBay's statement escapes me ... if a seller includes the cost of shipping  in the price? 

Yes, you make a very good point here.  This has bothered me too.  Basically, along with sellers who really do offer free shipping, eBay is rewarding sellers who add shipping to their prices, whether completely or partially.  I find this rather disingenuous and unfair to buyers.  

As Mr. E. points out, simplicity probably trumps every time now that so many people are buying via mobile, yet does this mean "easy at all costs"?  Even if you know you may be paying for your own shipping?  Apparently many buyers and sellers think so, but will they come back to eBay if they later realize they may have been a just a little bit burned?  

I'm not convinced eBay should be giving out 5 automatic stars in all such cases, but the problem is how to determine which is which -- is it truly free shipping, or is it hidden shipping?  (I just love the euphemism sellers have dreamt up -- "shipping included" -- to prettify what they're really doing).  And if it's hidden shipping, is it really a better deal than if the shipping were separated out and shown clearly?  I think it takes an experienced and wary buyer to answer that question.  

We've always been told by eBay that buyers want to know precisely what they're paying in shipping costs -- yet that's not what happens with "hidden shipping". To my mind, there's a little bit of hopeful deception going on with sellers who roll the whole of the shipping cost into their item prices.  Effectively the buyer has only him/herself to blame if they accept an item at the total cost shown and end up subsidizing their own shipping costs.  

I know there are two camps to this argument, but I prefer to stay solidly on the side of giving my customers the best deal I can possibly manage on shipping, along with competitive item prices.  I won't pull the wool over my buyers' eyes.  So I either subsidize my buyers' shipping rates or I do offer truly free shipping.  In either case, I do forfeit some profit in the hope of more sales, and/or of attracting repeat buyers.  

Now if only eBay could just fix that U.S. cart, I might be able to get back to where I was a year ago....Woman LOL

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

As sellers on eBay we each set up a protocol for selling on eBay.

We look upon our way of selling as correct.

Nothing is perfect....  and improvements  may be required... sometimes  small  and sometimes big.

There have been times  when a seller comes  with a question,  and finds out there are problems with their listing....

Not willing to listen...

and weeks, months, later  eBay does catch up to them.....

As sellers on eBay... we can all learn something... new....  and sometimes quite helpful...

eBay is a constantly changing environment for selling... whether set by eBay or imposed by buyers...

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I say in the listing "no tracking number".

You are braver than I am Mr. E, but you understand the honesty of your customers.

In some categories that would be a welcome mat for INR claims.

I so say 'All shipments insured', which apparently most customers take as being for their benefit. But of course insurance and tracking benefit only the seller.

Fortunately, I've also been doing this long enough to know how rarely things are actually stolen from the mail. (From the mailbox is another question.)

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Cumos, when they first started hyping free shipping, I gave it a whirl. It did not work. Sales were as my shelf price appeared higher. I quit that idea very quickly.

Now, the majority of my competition is using free shipping and my sales were off as the shelf price was not all-inclusive.

INR claims are a myth. Loss rates on eBay sales is far below retail rates. Every seller is going to lose something sometime. So what? It is built into my overhead.

If I am braver, then some have made business, personal. There are no emotions in business. As the expression goes "I will believe a business is a person when Texas executes one".
Photobucket
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

A business is an expression, a reflection,  of the person that runs that business..

On eBay that person starts the business,  and runs `the business...

The success of that business depends on the ability of that person to make it happen...  to deal with people in a situation where there is no personal, face-to-face  contact....  and more...

People who have personal problems... have problems dealing with people in all kinds of situations,  have problems selling on eBay.  

I see these people on eBay.com discussion boards ....  they can do no wrong.....  

If you want to sell on eBay...  My recommendation  is that you stand in front of a mirror  and ask..

Who am I? ...  How do I relate  with people?... How do people respond to me?

It is important to be very honest..... 

Selling on eBay starts with a person....  and success ...or ... otherwise depends on who that person is....

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

A business is an expression, a reflection,  of the person that runs that business..

On eBay that person starts the business,  and runs `the business...

The success of that business depends on the ability of that person to make it happen...  to deal with people in a situation where there is no personal, face-to-face  contact....  and more...

People who have personal problems... have problems dealing with people in all kinds of situations,  have problems selling on eBay.  

I see these people on eBay.com discussion boards ....  they can do no wrong.....  

If you want to sell on eBay...  My recommendation  is that you stand in front of a mirror  and ask..

Who am I? ...  How do I relate  with people?... How do people respond to me?

It is important to be very honest..... 

Selling on eBay starts with a person....  and success ...or ... otherwise depends on who that person is....

I about fell off my chair laughing. Yes Cumos, the finger pointers. The holier than thou. The blamers. The "It is eBay's fault". I have been cheated. I will sue!

The ones that telephone eBay ever day. They are on hold for hours, talk to five different Peggys, determined to get their eternal salvation from the Mother Ship. All for a few lousy dollars.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

It has been a wild and crazy weekend.

A good... and healthy laugh does  help immensely.

Read carefully and one can learn from unhappy sellers.... The unhappy ones  fail to recognize  they have the answer to their problems.... but ... They can do NO wrong...

We can learn ....specifically  ...What NOT to do

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Mr. elmwood, how many buyers sent you request to inform them about tracking number, even when listing clearly says "no tracking number"? In my area, this was suspiciously high, even with highly intelligent and responsible people.
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

"INR claims are a myth."

As I understand, with introduction of the defect system, INR will result a defect for seller, and there is a room only for a few defects until seller will be prohibited from selling on eBay.

This is no longer a matter of monetary losses due to refund of single transaction costs. I stopped selling because of this, until now. Re-learning, and will appreciate your input.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

I'm not convinced eBay should be giving out 5 automatic stars in all such cases, but the problem is how to determine which is which -- is it truly free shipping, or is it hidden shipping?  (I just love the euphemism sellers have dreamt up -- "shipping included" -- to prettify what they're really doing).  And if it's hidden shipping, is it really a better deal than if the shipping were separated out and shown clearly?  I think it takes an experienced and wary buyer to answer that question.

Regarding Rose-dee's post, I don't think there is "truly" free shipping in any interpretation of the situation.

There is a cost to shipping and these cost numbers are not made out of some elastic material that can be magically reduced or compressed! Although some sellers may want to try to give that impression!

Really, there are only two possibilities: either the shipping is "included" or "additional".

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

There is a" true" free shipping.

An example.

A total of 101 items are sold.

That ...one extra ... was listed with ... free shipping.

The cost for this free shipping item was $20... and if there was shipping it would have been $10.

However, it was sold  for $20 with free shipping... no cost for postage.

That cost for postage was spread across the sale of the other 100 items  That is 10 cents per sale 

eBay sellers put everything with  free shipping... as shipping included.

Some sellers have a B & M store.... the cost of shipping  with free shipping  for everything on the internet is carried by the sale of items from the B & M.

Walmart offers free shipping....  because the overall cost is less to ship from a warehouse  than a store...  and sales from the store cover the free shipping items.

eBay promotes free shipping... but... does not define free shipping

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

I don't disagree with anything you say, cumos.

It may be more semantics.

If something is included, from the customer's point of view it amounts to the same thing as "free".

Even though, from the seller's point of view, the "cost" of the shipping may have been spread over 100 other items and so technically not be included in a given tranasaction, the customer to that transaction still gets a shipment and, as far as the customer is concerned, the shipment is either "free" or included in the retail price. Either way, doesn't make a difference. And one way or the other, the seller has eaten the shipping cost, whether via IV drip or special sauce on the side!

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Oh lordie YES!!

When I was selling woodstoves and installations, we used a number of independent contractors. It quickly became apparent why some of these guys didn't work the better paying, steady hours big builders. These guys had interesting quirks.

They show up in all lines of work.

FWIW- WalMart Canada is dropping 'free' shipping for Canadian customers as reported today in the Globe and Mail.

Whether you call it 'free shipping' or 'shipping included' the customer is paying for shipping. Because the customer pays for everything or the business goes bankrupt.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

It is the buyers... and that is plural... who will always pay for the cost of shipping..

whether it is true free shipping... as per my example...

or as shipping cost concluded in the price of the item sold.... as applied on eBay...  by many...

many sellers... who sell everything with "free shipping"

The most important thing about free shipping  is no where on eBay is there a definition of free shipping.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply