Canadian postcards,what happened to categories ?

There is no categories by provinces,but only Canada.

The only option   is  "Add item specifics/city/region",but its not like it was before.

While searching the cards on ebay,you have  only one category ,-Canada without subcategories.I

It makes hard for a potential buyer to find  postcards from particular province and it might be a reason why sales are down.

Same ide with USA ,it used to be subcategories for California,not anymore.

What is going on , another "nice" update on ebay ?

I'm almost not listing  foreign cards on ebay for the very same reason,not good selection of subcategories.

Any sugestions ,are there are some more changes I'm missing ?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hi! Yes they were supposed to change this week.....they must have changed overnight. Here is a link to the update:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2014/categoryupdates.html

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the link. It is not a smart move to say at least and ebay's :

"Category, item specifics, and catalog updates will be released this spring to provide a more intuitive buying, selling, and search experience. These updates will also increase item visibility, eliminate redundancies, and improve the overall shopping experience on eBay."

sound like a bad joke.

Increase item visibility by eliminating subcategories ?

Improve the overall shopping experience on ebay ?

I have to say nothing,as there is nothing good I can say about it  Cat Mad

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I'm in stamps and mine went the other way many countries got split into pre and post independence.......so there are more categories now.....
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

At least something good.

I got a reply from Raphael from weekly board :

"Historically, we have managed our 10's of thousands of categories based on need. Adding too much structure to categories actually does not help buyers find the items they are looking for. When enough goods are available in a category is when we subdivide into more categories. Until then, buyers can and do find thinks using keyword search.
Currently, there isn't enough postcards in the category to merit subdivision.

Interesting,that for years we had enough postcards for subcategories,so what is a difference now ?

Anyway,in my opinion to have only one category for all Canadian card is not right to say at least.

I see that more and more Canadain postcards sellers listing elsewhere  ,maybe it what ebay wants ?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I am a seller of Canadian postcards. These changes will stop me from selling. Too much work.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

A seller of postcards can identify the province within item specifics.

Cassini ...  the search protocol....  uses items specifics as a part of search..

If one states Winnipeg  and Manitoba within item specifics... a person searching for postcards dealing with Winnipeg Manitoba will find those cards and include them in a search report...

If there was a subcategory for Manitoba under Canada.  A postcards placed in a category other than Manitoba would not be included in a search report.

With one large category for Canada, and .......With Winnipeg and Manitoba within item specifics  as well as the description   all postcards specific to Winnipeg Manitoba will be reported in a search.

The search will also provide a broader base of postcards  that may be a minor factor in relation to Winnipeg Manitoba

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

It makes it more involved when searching. Many collectors stick to one province and bookmark that page. My guess is that whoever made the decison to eliminate provincial categories is not familiar with the hobby.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply