Canadian seller fees Overcharged and unfair

joshlz93
Community Member

First and foremost, I have been a long time buyer and i have always loved to buy things on Ebay. I have been using Ebay even before this account was created. I have been buying all kinds of things for the past 12 years, these past few weeks I thought to myself "Why not try and selI something for once" so I had 2 posts in the past which I had canceled the Auctions, one of them did not meet the reserve price, My bank card became frozen because it got hacked so i changed my card and bank info and updated the info later on my pay pal account. After these auctions had ended with I had not sold them because they did not meet their reserve price. I should have read the terms and conditions clearer because they are quite unfair. I was charged $8 twice because Paypal refused Ebay to receive my funds. And Pay Pal also charged me $8.00. So i ended up selling nothing and being extorted for $24.00. I find this to be extremely disrespectful especially to any long time loyal customer. I have now changed my opinion on PayPal and Ebay. I have lost my respect and trust for both. I have payed their fees but I will never forget what they are able to pull off.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

There is a reason that few if any of us recommend reserves on auctions. Set your opening bid for the least amount of money you will accept. Had you come to ebay Community before your experience and not afterwards, any member here would have told you that. For free.

As to this: "I should have read the terms and conditions clearer because they are quite unfair." 'Unfair' is subjective. Let's look at the first part of the statement you've made. "I should have read the terms and conditions...". That, I'm afraid, is your answer.

Most of us, myself included, have learned things on ebay the hard way. As with life. My 'd'oh!' moment has almost always been as a result of Promos where you accept and then get sucked into something like an upgrade on your listing (free Buy it Now anyone? Subtitles with your order? Boldface, perhaps? Very tasty.) that you forget about which are free for the first time but cost big once you've forgotten it is there on relist. Twice. I fell into that trap a pile of times. Bottom line? The Promos and additional features are to ebay's benefit, not the buyer's or seller's.

Use sparingly, read all instructions prior to use. Results may vary. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

That being said, if you feel you have been incorrectly charged for something, call ebay Customer Service. Ditto for Payapl. They will often throw some kind of bone to make callers go away happy. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I had a similar issue... but I took off the reserve price before way before final sale and STILL got charged the fee

how do I get that back?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I would have to suggest that you don't unless you take the time to call ebay Customer Service and ask nicely for it. From the point-of-view of ebay, you asked for an insertion service upgrade and then used it for a short period of time so there's no actual reason they should refund that money to you via account credit. But, like I said above, the Customer Service Reps will often toss users a bone to allow them to leave happy. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Success with selling on eBay is  based on....

Knowing what NOT to do

It was many years ago that  this woman's husband wondered why his wife was not making money selling at auction on eBay.

It was auctions only at that time.

She was actually paying eBay to sell their items.... more than the final sale price

It soon became obvious this woman was adding every single option for a listing that eBay  had available....

So many options were added by her that  the total cost of these options was greater than the sale price of an item.

The husband got rid of the computer.  His wife did not know what ...not ....to do...

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I can envision how that happens, especially with new sellers who are eager to please.

Templates, boldface, large gallery photos, scheduled listings, subtitles, reserves: they all cost extra above and beyond the listing insertion fee. As does adding Buy It Now, or running short-duration auctions. And International Site Visibility.

I certainly added more bells and whistles when I was new to selling here than I do today. Ironically, I found the bells and whistles attracted more unpaid item buyers than actual buyers and those extra listings fees are non-recoverable when the seller gets their Final Value Fees back. That's probably what soured me on the added features faster than the extra feature cost itself. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I tried selling 3 coins-didn't sell-relisted. Received an Ebay bill for $846,03.

1) I'm not going to invest time in a system that's supposed to be for a common intellect. If I need a lawyer to read all their **bleep**-not interested, it ceases to be a benefit.

2) the amount of the bill for what amounts to non-service will never be repeated as I'll never sell anything on this system again.

3) I was told when I complained to "read the bottom of the page"...well...never got to" the bottom of the page" as the page kept refreshing with updates and corrections of things that had to be corrected and trying to explaining to the "drones" that work there the depth of the problems was a waste of time. And they wonder why "sellers" are leaving (see "eBay suing Amazon for poaching their sellers")

So after 15 years and a 100% rating I'm out.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Zombie thread from 2017...

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 10
latest reply