Canadian sellers to be charged GST/HST/QST on all fees effective July 1 2017?

As part of the Summer 2017 update, eBay has announced the following.   You will see all updates in the email they are sending.

Today, eBay announced changes that will impact Canadian residents and businesses who use eBay.

To better reflect how we manage and operate our platform in Canada, on July 1st, 2017 we will be changing the contracting party for Canadian residents and businesses from eBay International AG to eBay Canada Limited, a Canadian corporation.

As a result, eBay users residing in Canada will begin contracting with eBay Canada Limited. This change will impact these users' User Agreement, User Privacy Notice, Billing Agreement, and other agreements with eBay.

The new contracting entity, eBay Canada Limited, is subject to Canadian tax law. As a result, sales tax (GST/HST/QST) will be charged on eBay fees starting July 1st, 2017. The applicable sales tax rate will vary by province, which we will determined based on your registered eBay address. You should confirm that your registered address is correct. The current applicable tax rates are:

ProvinceRate
Alberta (AB):5.00%
British Columbia (BC):5.00%
Manitoba (MB):5.00%
New Brunswick (NB):15.00%
Newfoundland and Labrador (NL):15.00%
Northwest Territories (NT):5.00%
Nova Scotia (NS):15.00%
Nunavut (NU):5.00%
Ontario (ON):13.00%
Prince Edward Island (PE):15.00%
Quebec (QC):14.75%
Saskatchewan (SK):5.00%
Yukon (YT):5.00%

While the addition of GST/HST/QST on fees is new, eBay's prices will not change as a results of this legal entity change. Furthermore, you should see no interruption in your service as a result of this change, and you will not need to make any updates to your listings.

If you are a business user, we recommend that you consult with your tax advisor to understand your eligibility and the process for claiming an input tax credit on tax paid for services provided to your business.

Message 1 of 210
latest reply
209 REPLIES 209

Does paying this tax get a seller's name on the CRA radar? For example, I am charged X amount of taxes on my fees, eBay collects that and remits that money and my name as the seller who paid that tax - or is all that tax simply paid to CRA in one huge, anonymous pool?

Message 121 of 210
latest reply

Dutchman - "... If I then go to the Post Office to ship my parcel, they will again charge me HST because it is going to Ontario?"

Maybe, maybe not.  It depends on the type of service you use and how you pay for the service.

For example, a parcel from AB to ON shipped by "regular parcel" would cost you 5% GST only, regardless how you pay.  The same applies to small parcels (under 2cm thick) shipped as "lettermail".

The same parcel, shipped "Xpresspost" would cost you 13% HST if you pay the clerk to process the parcel and affix the postage or only 5% GST if you purchase the postage stamps from the clerk for the same amount (except for the tax) and affix them yourself to the parcel.  This is not a joke.  It is the law!

If you ship the same parcel "Priority" the same tax calculation would apply.

The information above applies to individuals using Canada Post to ship parcels.  The rules are slightly different for "commercial" accounts.

Of course none of that has anything to do with eBay or any other venue a seller uses to advertise his/her products.

"To me that is double dipping"

Yes it is.  The same applies to the products you resell.  You most likely paid tax at time of purchase and now you will pay tax on the fees applicable to their sale. The only way to avoid double taxation is to register with GST/HST and get it back as ITCs.

Message 122 of 210
latest reply

dinomitesales - "If you're a small-time hobby seller that has no plans to register for GST then oh well, suck it up. In the grand scheme of things it is a very small increase in your expenses."

100% correct.

On $100 sales, fees are $10 and the government charges GST/HST on the service from $0.50 to $1.50

That works out to one half of one percent to as much as one and half of one percent.

And life does go on.

The way I see it that tax (GST/HST) should have applied from the beginning as it has applied to other auctioneers selling goods for others. eBay had an unfair advantage over Canadian auctioneers making a living out of selling goods for others.  Now we have a level playing field. 

Message 123 of 210
latest reply

chipmunk - "I wonder if this applies to listings on Ebay.COM?"

Yes it does.  Fees on eBay listings are taxable (GST/HST) to Canadian sellers regardless of the venue they use: eBay.ca, eBay.com, eBay.uk, etc...

Message 124 of 210
latest reply

"Does paying this tax get a seller's name on the CRA radar?"

There is no choice but paying the tax, just as one pays the tax at the post office, at the office supplies store, etc...

Canadians are required by law to self report business income (line 135 on your annual tax return), regardless how small or large it is.  CRA has access to eBay's information, PayPal's information, bank's records, etc....

Many may think they can get away from paying income tax on their earnings if they "fly under the radar".  And that may work for some... for a while, until reported by someone (often a former spouse or partner wishing to get even) or audited.  Yes Canadian eBay sellers do get audited from time to time. 

And the auditors look at 'tax cheaters" differently.  They decide how much tax should have been paid and the taxpayer must either pay or go to court to prove CRA wrong.

Message 125 of 210
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

I just read this thread and... wow. There sure are a ton of people here that seemingly have no idea how taxes in Canada work.

Pierre is giving good advice. It makes sense. If you're really going insane over this additional tax on eBay fees then simply apply to remit GST and you'll get the money back. If you're a small-time hobby seller that has no plans to register for GST then oh well, suck it up. In the grand scheme of things it is a very small increase in your expenses.

I am sure most posters really appreciate your snarky comment.

If you don't like the questions or the discussion, please stay out of it.

Message 126 of 210
latest reply

Hi Pierre

I paid no tax on any of my products, am not buying inventory, and only disposing of my collections.

Many sellers are in the same position and are not, or were not, running commercial enterprises.

To us, we are aware this is an additional expense and as some would say, we have to suck it up.

Some, and not you, are just extremely rude in how they put it!

Message 127 of 210
latest reply

Dutchman - As stated many times on these boards over the last fifteen years, taxation is generally for business (small and large).

Canadians selling their own "stuff" do not attract taxation.  The exceptions will be for consumption tax (GST/HST) on goods or services purchased by individuals in the process of selling/shipping their goods.

A seller goes to Staples to buy envelopes and packing tape, GST/GST will be charged

A seller goes to the Post Office to mail the parcels, GST/HST will be charged (if and as appropriate, based on destination)

A seller uses an auctioneer service to sell the goods, GST/HST will be charged on the fees charged by the auctioneer.  The tax that has always applied to auctioneer will now apply on fees charged to Canadians by eBay to list/sell their products.

"I paid no tax on any of my products,"

??? 

If you purchased your items from another collector, is it possible the tax was paid by such collector at time of purchase and simply passed on to you (included in the price)?

Message 128 of 210
latest reply

Trying to wrap my senior head around this new angle for Ebay fees and their applied taxes.

I can see that is would be part of a 'retail service' tax, not an 'income tax'. There would be no change to our Income Tax Return numbers.

On the other hand how can Ebay tax someone else's service such as the Canada Post shipping, the amount paid which they now consider part of their fee structure at 10%. This is not their service, we also pay for Canadian shipping with our Paypal funds or other plus tax, we would pay the same service tax again?

It is dollars and cents we are talking about, but for high volume sellers. 

Message 129 of 210
latest reply

".... but for high volume sellers. "

That is correct and.... high volume sellers would most likely be GST/HST registered and the change does not really affect them.  The tax now applied by the federal government (and collected by eBay) will  be 100% refunded to those registered sellers through Input Tax Credits (ITCs)

"how can Ebay tax someone else's service "

eBay does NOT tax.  The Canadian federal government does.  eBay only collect the tax on its behalf.  They are obligated to do so.

"...wrap my senior head..."

I get that!  I am glad I had the opportunity to be involved in several aspects of Canadian taxation early in my careers. 

Today (at 71) I would find it challenging to get started!

Message 130 of 210
latest reply

Anything is possible. Collections have always created issues as many people have no receipts for what they purchased over their lifetime.

Some may have paid tax and other may not have. I bought almost all privately as have many collectors so no tax was paid as nothing was for commercial use or purchased from a commercial entity.

The biggest issue is when it come time to sell personal collections, everyone wants to tax things.

As a crude example, if I were to take all my collections to an auctioneer to be sold, I would have to pay tax on the commission they charge me as it is a service.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to set that off against so it is just another expense or cost to pay. I think we all know that, but we don't have to like it. Now Ebay will be doing the same thing so the benefit of using Ebay will  diminish more.

I fully realize how taxation works, but for personal items, I personally feel it needs to be looked at. Same as selling a car privately.

If you are buying low and selling high, and can write a lot of things off it is a whole different story than personal collections or even personal items many are selling.

Many collections are worth the same or less than people paid unless they make some very good or lucky purchases. If they paid tax when purchasing from a commercial entity and value has not increased and then have to pay more tax to sell, they are really getting hit twice.

There will come a time that many people will not use a 3rd party to sell because of these costs on personal items or collections.

When are newspapers, Craiglist, Kijiji, personal websites, etc going to have to collect tax on sales and shipping for the service they provide? Ebay does nothing except provide a venue, supposedly.

Message 131 of 210
latest reply

And just as an aside Pierre, I am only 2 years younger than you

Message 132 of 210
latest reply

"... everyone wants to tax things."

Not really.  Only the governments (all  levels) want taxes.  Some of us (small and large businesses) are forced by law to collect it and remit it.

"When are newspapers, Craiglist, Kijiji, personal websites, etc going to have to collect tax on sales and shipping for the service they provide? "

By law, the tax (GST/HST) is collected and remitted by the seller.  The same is true on eBay.

Sellers (if registered) are required to remit the tax.  It has nothing to do with eBay.  eBay does not get directly involved in collecting GST/HST from buyers.  Sellers do (if registered and required to do so).

When placing an advertisement in a newspaper or magazine, that newspaper or magazine does charge the advertiser the GST/HST.  It is no different on eBay.

Message 133 of 210
latest reply

There is a difference as they do not charge a fee on the sale or the postage if required.

There are still sites that do not charge on the postage because they have no involvement in the shipping.

Ebay does it for a money grab and as a result it is now taxable as well.

I think this is the issue many Canadians now have as our postage costs are absurd.

If Ebay kept their nose out of shipping. I am sure there would be less people as upset as they seem to be.

Message 134 of 210
latest reply

If I ship an item to the US or overseas, Canada post does not charge tax on that cost if over $5 (I think that is the threshold)

However, Ebay still takes their % of FVF's and then taxes that FVF on shipping which really should not be taxable.

Message 135 of 210
latest reply

"... then taxes that FVF on shipping which really should not be taxable."

eBay, like Amazon (the leader in the field), charges fees on the value of the transaction.

As we both know, for years many eBay sellers would underprice their items and overprice the shipping charge to avoid paying fees to eBay.  We have all seen examples of clocks selling for $1 and $80 shipping charge - where eBay would only collect its fees on $1.  It seemed unfair.

To solve that type of abuse, Amazon and eBay changed their policy to charge their fees on the total value of the transaction (just like PayPal has been doing all along).

It does not really matter if the transaction or part of it is taxable or not from eBay's perspective.  Their fees are charged on the total value of the transaction.

By the way, the situation is not unique to Canada.  GST (or VAT) has been charged for years on eBay fees in Australia, Europe, etc....

Message 136 of 210
latest reply

Australia is presently going through the same thing that we are now in regards to Ebay fees and taxation, and next year it will be worse when they want to start trying to charge tax at source for items sold outside of Australia and them mailed to buyers.

Maybe then, Ebay should separate domestic and foreign the same as the Canadian Government does.

Message 137 of 210
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Canadians selling their own "stuff" do not attract taxation.  

I may be remembering old, defunct CRA rules, but wasn't there at one time a ceiling on such sales before they attracted taxation?  The figure of $3,000 annually comes to mind, but I may be wrong about the amount, and perhaps it no longer applies.  

However, this may be an important point for Canadians who have a large personal collection to sell on eBay (or elsewhere), 

Message 138 of 210
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Australia is presently going through the same thing that we are now in regards to Ebay fees and taxation, and next year it will be worse when they want to start trying to charge tax at source for items sold outside of Australia and them mailed to buyers. 

Another site on which I sell solved this problem (regarding European VAT) very elegantly and efficiently for sellers -- the site collects the VAT directly from the buyer at the point of sale, and remits it to the respective countries.  The seller never has to get involved.  The VAT paid by the buyer is recorded in the transaction details for informational purposes.  

Message 139 of 210
latest reply

thank you compatriot senior Canadian pierrelebel, glad too, that you have some understanding to share with us, I do our income tax returns once a year and that is enough for me....lol

Message 140 of 210
latest reply