Cart "Disconnect" issue - A poll for Cdn sellers

Hello all -

I think those of us who have been following the boards all know about the discussions and complaints concerning what I call the "cart disconnect" between eBay.ca and other eBay sites.  I've had some very illuminating responses from Raphael in follow-up to this week's board hour (which wasn't terribly productive itself).  Please see my Post #39 in http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/buyers-saying-item-is-unavailable-when-trying-to-purchase... for my summary of his comments.  

Essentially, he finally made it clear that the carts are site-specific, were not intended to be universal across all eBay sites, and that a "universally workable" cart is not realistically feasible due to eBay's decades-old and complex site design. Basically, WYSIWYG.

However, eBay apparently believes the "cart disconnect" is not an issue for the vast majority of Canadian sellers.  My view is that the reason for this is because we can't be aware of something we don't see -- how do you measure the number of buyers from other sites (e.g. eBay.com, eBay.UK) who may have tried making a multiple purchase using their own site's cart, failed and given up?  

So, given the fact that we're stuck with what we have, I know my multiple orders were working fine before the .ca cart was introduced.  Perhaps --- just maybe -- if enough Canadian sellers ask for it, I wonder if the .ca cart could be pulled completely? 

It would be very interesting to hear from Canadian sellers on this thread as to:

1) Have you seen a significant downturn in multi-item orders from non-Canadian buyers since about mid-summer of 2014 (in comparison to earlier months or years)?

2)  Have any non-Canadian buyers contacted you to tell you they're having trouble getting through the checkout/payment process when attempting to make a multi-item purchase? 

3)  Do you sell regularly to U.S. buyers? 

A "yes" or "no" to each of the above would be enough -- I just thought it would be interesting to gather some numbers.  Whether it will do any good or not, well...  

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 201
latest reply
200 REPLIES 200

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

That add to cart screen shouldn't be coming up for items on other sites at all. Raphael wasn't aware of it but is supposed to look into it. It has to be a fairly recent addition otherwise we would have heard about that problems months ago.

It's actually even worse than a simple "Add to Cart" button.  I don't know whether you were able to see all the text on that earlier screen shot, so I've enlarged it and re-posted it here.  U.S. buyers are being told they must use the cart in order to get seller discounts.  This creates a double problem: (a) buyers are being told they can't use "Buy it Now" to make a multi-item order and (b) buyers will expect to get the advertised seller discounts if they follow the "Cart" route, which, as I've discovered, doesn't happen.  

There's another problem on this screen, making matters worse (and more worrisome) for the confused buyer.  Look at the text near the top of the order.  It says: "You're almost done!  Until you complete checkout, another eBay user may buy this item." 

So imagine a U.S. buyer buying from .com, upon hitting the "Add to Cart" button and seeing the second item show up as "Item Not Available" and/or "This Item is Up for Auction".  They will think that either someone else has just bought and paid for it, or the seller has reneged on availability.  Personally, if I were that U.S. buyer, I'd be rather upset and angry at the seller or I'd blame the eBay Canada site itself, not knowing the problem was the other way around.  And then I'd go back to familiar territory to buy.  

I don't think that any but the most sophisticated U.S. buyer is going to get beyond this point without giving up in frustration.  Trying to do so just creates a whole cascade of confusing and contradictory results.  

An experienced and persistent buyer may realize that it's possible to make a multi-item order by paying for item#1, backing out, choosing another, paying, backing out, etc. etc., and then using "Request Total" on the last item to ask the seller to manually adjust the total.  I doubt that most U.S. buyers who haven't been around for a long while on eBay would know enough to use that route.  Newer U.S. buyers, who have only ever used the U.S. cart for checkout, may have no clue what to do, but give up and go back to the USA to buy.    

The bottom line is: Checkout and payment should be click, click, click and you're done, no matter what eBay site you're on or where you buy from on eBay. 

Sellers who rarely have multi-item orders may believe this isn't much of an issue.  For those of us who do make such multi-item sales frequently, and whose main buyer base is in the U.S., it's an enormous problem.

Raphael seemed to suggest that this is a very limited problem, for a limited number of Canadian sellers. However, I think Canadian sellers in general should be worried -- will a U.S. buyer who comes to a Canadian seller like me, hoping to buy even 2 items, and leaves in disgust, bother trying to buy from any other Canadian seller? What for?  Better to stick to the familiar old .com site.  And I certainly wouldn't blame them.  

Mar13(3)-Add to Cart Pop-up.jpg

Message 81 of 201
latest reply

Don't forget it's not just ebay.com where this problem arises. It also fails on ebay.co.uk. (I pay between $75 and $200 a month in merely International Site Visibility upgrades; sales overseas used to be a substantial portion of my monthly numbers.) But you're correct in that checkout on any sales platform should never be this convoluted.

Plain and simply put, it is unacceptable.

I realize ebay is unique in many ways and, as a buyer, I love that about it. I loved ebay long before I came to sell here BUT, as a seller, I am not necessarily feeling the love in return when it comes to major problems like this one. I don't think the powers-that-be comprehend the scope of this problem.

At the very least, they should be embarrassed. A buyer can't use the cart to checkout; at least ten per cent of the links on any of my pages lead to error messages at any given time, and any time you need to use the Resolution Centre, you're given conflicting instructions as to what to do next. Oh, and when you call Customer Service, you've a 80 per cent chance of being handed to someone who knows less than you do about the problem you're trying to describe.

Right now, the site is as buggy as a 1990s college coding project. My fear is that worse is to come with right-sizing as employees are let go and paypal splits. I expect better. The competition does not allow itself to look so silly. 

Message 82 of 201
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I don't think the powers-that-be comprehend the scope of this problem.

You're right - I'd forgotten about the U.K.  Those buyers could be experiencing the same set of confusing problems when trying to buy from a Canadian seller. 

The fact that these issues have been going on unresolved for many months now gives me little hope.  The root of the problem is that this is affecting Canadians.  It's the same old story.  To the powers that be in eBay USA, we're mere gnats.  As Pierre Trudeau used to say -- like sleeping with an elephant.  

I still think it's possible eBay.ca could be phased out within the next couple of years, or at least that Canadian sellers will end up being obliged to list on .com anyway in order to survive.  Who knows -- in the longer run it might save eBay a lot of money and time to "import" all of us over to .com rather than to having to fix the whole US cart system. 

I guess this thread has turned into more than a poll, sorry! 

Message 83 of 201
latest reply

Don't apologize. The discussion is necessary and cathartic.

For my money, I think in the near future ebay is going to consolidate into global regions like ebay.northamerica and ebay.europe and ebay.asia et cetera with the smaller sites like ebay.ca being merely steamrolled into the larger ones like ebay.com. (Language is no barrier; currency is fluid.) The announcement will say this is so that processes will be 'streamlined' to create a 'more fluid purchasing experience' yada yada yada.

As to the 2015 Spring Update, I expect to see all stores forced into the new model with some extra window dressing and, hopefully, the return of our left-hand listing frame Store Categories. Maybe some frills on the Collections and Guides since we're all supposed to be drooling over the similarities to Pinterest. Some pressure to offer both a Free Shipping choice and also Express shipping choice like you find on ebay.co.uk.

What else? Anyone want to hazard a guess? Take wagers?

Message 84 of 201
latest reply

To answer the poll questions:

1. I'm to small a seller to know but with this kind of a problem if most buyers are like me I'd say it has to make a difference. If I hit any kind of a bug on any site, I have zero patience and immediately go somewhere else

2. Yes, even with my small amount of sales I have had several inquires. I have also had several times that people paid individually and then I combined shipping costs and made the refund, which of course cost me in final value fees. Great for ebay, surely they are not that desperate that they might not worry about fixing the problem because it actually makes them money.

3. Yes, in fact most of my sales used to be to the US or international. That has changed, which may be because of this issue, or because of the high postage costs. Who knows? There is no way to know how many people have just gotten fed up and left.

This is a huge problem and as has already been mentioned It's totally Mickey Mouse and Unacceptable. Problem is we don't have any choice but to accept it or leave. I don't want to leave. I like ebay. It's a great marked, but good grief, the programming is getting to convoluted and has far too many bugs. If ebay wants to micromanage sellers, they should get it right before implementing every new idea that someone comes up with.

Message 85 of 201
latest reply

For the first time, I went around and tried to re-create the Item Not Available error to see it myself this afternoon and could not. (I have been basing my information on what buyers have been telling me without attempting to re-create it first-hand.) When I went to ebay.com and ebay.co.uk and tried to buy from a seller that I know creates listings on ebay.ca, my only options were to Buy It Now and then Proceed to Paypal. There is no cart nor is there an Add to Cart button. Is this a new development? Wasn't there a cart involved in all your screenshot error messages, rose-dee? I'm sure there was.

Also, I could not find items from the seller in question in any search results. Like, at all. From anywhere outside ebay.ca and ebay.com even though this seller is paying for International Site Visibility on ebay.co.uk. (Echoing what has been said before.) In December, I had no difficulty whatsoever finding listings from this seller on multiple international sites, ebay.france and ebay.spain and ebay.italy and ebay.germany for example. So what happened?

Message 86 of 201
latest reply

When I went to ebay.com and ebay.co.uk and tried to buy from a seller that I know creates listings on ebay.ca, my only options were to Buy It Now and then Proceed to Paypal.

On .com you have to click on buy it now on the first item and then on the next screen there is either a pop up screen or it will say at the top of the cart "To buy more items, add to cart" If you click on that it will add the first item to the cart. You can play with it from there to see what happens then.

I just checked the UK site and the add to cart link is not on that second screen, so you will just see it on .com.

Message 87 of 201
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Wasn't there a cart involved in all your screenshot error messages, rose-dee? I'm sure there was.

Yes, as 'pj'  says, for the U.S. buyer test, you have to actually click on "Buy it Now" for the first item (don't worry, this won't force payment immediately).  

Then click on the "Add to Cart" button when the pop-up appears on the next screen.  From there, go to the bottom of the page and find "Continue Shopping".  Click on that, and it should take you back to the seller's listings again.  From there, choose the next item, and so on. 

I was just thinking, holy cow, if we sellers have been having trouble figuring out what the steps are and why things aren't working, can you imagine what a newbie buyer in the U.S. would be thinking about buying from Canada after trying this?  I can only laugh at this point, it's so egregious.  

Message 88 of 201
latest reply

I am absolutely not seeing it. Not at all. There is a cart icon on the top right-hand side of the page but when I click Buy It Now, I get taken to a page that says How Do You Like Our New Checkout? and no cart, only Proceed to Paypal. And that link goes to paypal. Is this screenshot legible? 

Message 89 of 201
latest reply

(I don't get a pop-up screen. Do you? Did something change?)

Message 90 of 201
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I am absolutely not seeing it. Not at all. There is a cart icon on the top right-hand side of the page but when I click Buy It Now, I get taken to a page that says How Do You Like Our New Checkout? and no cart, only Proceed to Paypal. And that link goes to paypal. Is this screenshot legible? 

It sounds as if you may only be attempting to purchase one item.  You have to click on "Continue Shopping" once you've chosen Item #1, and then select a 2nd item before you will see the pop-up that directs you into the Cart.  The "Continue Shopping" button is located somewhere down near the bottom right side of the screen -- another not so swift idea of eBay's, IMHO. 

Are you certain you are logged into eBay.com, buying from a Canadian seller when you do this test?  You may or may not see the same results I got if the seller is registered elsewhere.  You can even try it with your own items, as if you were a U.S. buyer.  

Or try it with some of my items if you like -- just don't progress to payment, or we'll both be in trouble.  Woman Very Happy

Message 91 of 201
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

It sounds as if you may only be attempting to purchase one item.  You have to click on "Continue Shopping" once you've chosen Item #1, and then select a 2nd item before you will see the pop-up that directs you into the Cart.  The "Continue Shopping" button is located somewhere down near the bottom right side of the screen -- another not so swift idea of eBay's, IMHO. 

Are you certain you are logged into eBay.com, buying from a Canadian seller when you do this test?  You may or may not see the same results I got if the seller is registered elsewhere.  You can even try it with your own items, as if you were a U.S. buyer.  

Or try it with some of my items if you like -- just don't progress to payment, or we'll both be in trouble.  Woman Very Happy

mj is testing on her own listing. On the screen immediately after clicking on buy it now on your listings, I see "to buy more items add to cart" near the top of the page. It isn't necessary to scroll down. However, when I try to do the same thing on one of mj's listings the screen is slightly different and does not allow me to add to cart.  I tested one of my own .ca listings and I get the same results as I do with mj's listings. The only difference that I see is that my listing  and mj's listing  are in Cdn $ and your listing is in U.S. $.   From what I've heard, the U.S. cart cannot handle any currency other than U.S. so that could be why the add to cart info doesn't show up when our listings are tested.

Message 92 of 201
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

As distressing as it sounds to you, I am thrilled to hear it now directs a buyer to Commit to Buy on ebay.ca. That is actually a huge step forward. So far as I know, this is a new development, is it not? (I suggested this as a workaround in another thread a few weeks ago.)  

I think you misread my comment. I did not say the system told the buyer to commit to buy. *I* did. Instead of putting the item in the cart, they just have to use "Buy It Now" and commit to buy. Sorry if I was not explaining that very well...

Message 93 of 201
latest reply

Yes, ladystark, your meaning was misconstrued. My apologies.

So what we have here is one of two (or more) potential roadblocks on the ebay.com cart. If you list on ebay.ca in USD, it allows your buyer to add one item to the cart but gives the Not Available message when attempting to combine postage on an attempted multi-item order. If you list on ebay.ca in CAD, your .com buyer still cannot combine postage because they'll never see the cart at all. (Either way, what I takeaway from this is that Canadian listings are not welcome on ebay.com.) I will have to play with the co.uk basket a little more to see which is the case. Yes, I was testing my own listings and they are all listed in CAD. Thank you for helping me to understand this. If I direct my buyers around the roadblock, I need to understand the detour. I will be revising all my listings to state the following:

If you are shopping via ebay.com or ebay.co.uk, you will discover you cannot add items listed in CA$ (Canadian dollars) on ebay.ca to your cart/basket. Log into www.ebay.ca to take full advantage of our combined postage discounts and free shipping promotions. You’ll be glad you did.

Message 94 of 201
latest reply

If you list on ebay.ca in USD, it allows your buyer to add one item to the cart but gives the Not Available message when attempting to combine postage on an attempted multi-item order.

It will give the not available message as soon as the buyer tries to complete the sale even if there is only one item in the cart. Keep in mind that I am just guessing that the difference between what you are seeing with your listings and what rose is seeing with her listings has to do with the listing currency.  But if I am correct, the add to cart link does show up on the page after a buyer clicks on buy it now if the listing was done in U.S. $ but the sale definitely can not be completed that way.

If you are shopping via ebay.com or ebay.co.uk, you will discover you cannot add items listed in CA$ (Canadian dollars) on ebay.ca to your cart/basket. Log into www.ebay.ca to take full advantage of our combined postage discounts and free shipping promotions. You’ll be glad you did.

The problem with that statement is that it doesn't matter which currency the .ca listing is using....a cart cannot be used on .com for any .ca listing.

Message 95 of 201
latest reply

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I will experiment with it again before setting my opinions and/or statements in stone.

Message 96 of 201
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

So what we have here is one of two (or more) potential roadblocks on the ebay.com cart.

If you list on ebay.ca in USD, it allows your buyer to add one item to the cart but gives the Not Available message when attempting to combine postage on an attempted multi-item order.  If you list on ebay.ca in CAD, your .com buyer still cannot combine postage because they'll never see the cart at all. 

Two things further:  

1) I'm not sure, but I think you may be misunderstanding the problem.  The "cart disconnect" is more than just an issue of combining postage.  As I discovered, when logged onto .com and trying to purchase from a Canadian seller, I could not get more than one item to add to the cart (I got the "Not Available" and/or "This Item is Up for Auction" messages for all subsequent items I added.  

As a seller, I'd rather make manual shipping adjustments/refunds than know that customers can't even get to the point of checking out on a multi-item sale.  That's the critical problem, not the discounts or shipping combinations (even though of course, they don't work properly either for .com buyers purchasing from Canadians). 

2) I agree with 'pj' that I don't think it matters which currency the listing is in on .ca, if the buyer is on .com they will not be able to use the Cart to checkout.  

The difference, I believe, is that if the listing is in $US, the buyer on .com will get the "Add to Cart" link after clicking on "Buy it Now" and attempting to add the 2nd item (see below).  However, the Cart is still entirely dysfunctional and will not allow the buyer to complete checkout properly. 

To 'pj' :  You mention: "It will give the not available message as soon as the buyer tries to complete the sale even if there is only one item in the cart."

I haven't tested this specifically (I don't want to buy one of my own items and then have to cancel), but I don't think this is the case.  When I did the test the other day I could have checked out after Item #1 as long as I didn't click on "Continue Shopping".  Only once the 2nd item was in the cart did the "Not Available" appear. 

I assumed I could have proceeded in the normal way to checkout using the "BIN" flow, as there was no impediment at that point.  Otherwise I think my U.S. customers would not be managing to purchase even one item from me.  

Since I have had a few single-item U.S. sales in the past week or so, my .com buyers must be getting through with their first item, since there is no other option presented to them but "Buy it Now", as I found out in my test.  

Message 97 of 201
latest reply

To 'pj' :  You mention: "It will give the not available message as soon as the buyer tries to complete the sale even if there is only one item in the cart."

I haven't tested this specifically (I don't want to buy one of my own items and then have to cancel), but I don't think this is the case.  When I did the test the other day I could have checked out after Item #1 as long as I didn't click on "Continue Shopping".  Only once the 2nd item was in the cart did the "Not Available" appear. 

If you had clicked on checkout once the item was in the cart you would see that even a single item became 'up for auction' and 'not available'. You can check this with any sellers .ca listing that is listed in $C. It makes sense since the U.S. cart is only set up for U.S. $.

Also, clicking on checkout does not purchase the item. It is not purchased until you actually pay. 

I assumed I could have proceeded in the normal way to checkout using the "BIN" flow, as there was no impediment at that point.  Otherwise I think my U.S. customers would not

be managing to purchase even one item from me.  

I try not to assume so I did check to see if it worked like that before I wrote it. As far as your U.S. buyers...they would have purchased an item from you just like they would purchase one item from anyone.....click on buy it now and then continue to payment. As long as they don't click on add to cart, the process works fine.

Message 98 of 201
latest reply

What I am trying to determine is precisely what instructions to give to my buyers as a workaround. If, for whatever reason, there is no option to Add to Cart for my listings on ebay.com or ebay.co.uk then it's pointless for me to warn them about the Not Available message they may see since it will never exist for them. I highly doubt this will be fixed in my lifetime as an ebay seller, I'm looking for ways to work around it. When I last did the tests on my own listings, there was not ever an Add to Cart button presented. Only Buy it Now and straight to paypal for payment. I could not get to a Cart page at all to see any error messages for any reason. This is different from what you are seeing with your experiments. 

Message 99 of 201
latest reply

I went through the test attempts again and, when I am logged into ebay.com, I cannot add any of my items to any sort of cart. The option to Add to Cart simply does not exist, only Buy It Now. With that same ID, I am able to access and Add to Cart in order to properly combine postage with NO difficulty whatsoever if I am logged into ebay.ca. Like flawlessly. 

On ebay.com, the cart option doesn't exist on my listings. It's just not possible, no matter how I try to do it. Only Buy it Now and then How Do You Like Our New Checkout? and Proceed to Paypal. If I then proceeded to paypal and went so far as to log in and buy the item, there would still be no Cart because the purchased item would already become part of a Purchase History. I assume, that is. I don't want to run the risk of buying one of my own items; I already feel dirty like I broke rules by creating an account to try to recreate Cart errors. 

Message 100 of 201
latest reply