Charge back fee

I have  been notified by PayPal that they are increasing the Charge Back fee to $20.00 in October.

That seems pretty high - why do they need to charge anyway? It's not like they are using up resources for the service.

Does anyone know what it is know?

Supposing the Charge Back was only for $10.00 - does that mean they are going to charge the seller $20.00?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Charge back fee

I Just received this email too

it has links in it and Paypal does not send emails with links

me thinks this is a spoof there is no notice on the paypal site regarding this

I'm sending this to spoof@paypal before I do anything else with it. IE Clicking the links

weavers

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Charge back fee

I just phoned Paypal about this and the agent reviewed the updates they receive regarding their policies

he says they have no notice of this happening

he said if one gets an email like this send it to them

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Charge back fee

clearly genuine and paypal does send emails with links, eg got the notification for june debit card cashback that links back to paypal

The fee was already higher in other countries, eg US$20.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Charge back fee

This is legitimate.  The e-mail had my name on it and it can also be found under Policy Updates on PayPal.

I was surprised by this because I didn't know there was a chargeback fee to begin with. I had one against me a couple of years ago and PayPal refunded the money to the buyer but I wasn't charged a fee.  $20.00 seems pretty high.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Charge back fee

PayPal refunded the money to the buyer but I wasn't charged a fee.  $20.00 seems pretty high.

Maybe I am wrong, but this is for buyers using credit card payments and is only charged to the buyer and not the seller.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Charge back fee

It's not like they are using up resources for the service.

The fee is for credit card chargebacks so I imagine they do have some resources involved if they have to deal back and forth with the cc company.  Assuming that everything else is staying as it was, you only pay this fee if they fight the chargeback on your behalf and you lose.

Perhaps 'fight' isn't quite the right word...

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Charge back fee

The seller pays the chargeback fee.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Charge back fee

Looks real enough to me, but, so what? I think I have had one (1) in twelve years.
Photobucket
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Charge back fee

It is real, just happened to me, buyer file charge back for $36 and I lost the case,then paypal took $56 from me, $36 for buyer $20 for fee.
It is not fair 😞

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Charge back fee

@asiahhijab wrote:

It is real, just happened to me, buyer file charge back for $36 and I lost the case,then paypal took $56 from me, $36 for buyer $20 for fee.
It is not fair 😞

It happened to me this month as well  .... the first time I've paid the $20.00 fee. 

Mr. Elmwood says "so what?"  I guess he can say that about a once in a 12 year experience, but for those of us who get them more often, I say it's a big deal.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Charge back fee

So in case of charge back which seller really not in control of unauthorized transaction (only because seller don't have proof of shipment/delivery confirmation), seller will lose:
1. item
2. shipping cost
3. paypal fee of original payment
4. $20

Duh, so paypal worker who review case of charge back actually got paid from poor seller who innocent for unauthorized transaction. Is that a good job?
I could understand if seller penalized with fee for charge back of INR or SNAD, but unauthorized transaction? Isn't that the credit card's holder fault who did not take care his credit card properly, so someone else use it?
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Charge back fee

Oh I forgot to add, seller will lose ebay fee to when the charge back happened.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Charge back fee

@asiahhijab wrote:
So in case of charge back which seller really not in control of unauthorized transaction (only because seller don't have proof of shipment/delivery confirmation), seller will lose:
1. item
2. shipping cost
3. paypal fee of original payment
4. $20

CORRECT!!

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Charge back fee

@asiahhijab wrote:
Oh I forgot to add, seller will lose ebay fee to when the charge back happened.

I knew about the $20 but I didn't realize that ebay and paypal didn't refund the sellers fees.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Charge back fee

Unfortunately seller who tend to lose of charge back case is seller who sell low price item shipped with non track-able shipping method.
So the $20 fee is really mean.
For example the charge back for $19.50 transaction and seller lose the case, so she/he will be out $19.50(item & shipping) + 1.95 (ebay FVF) + 0.94(paypal fee + $20 = $42.5.
Oh boy...... that a cost of doing inexpensive business.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply