Chargeback

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here I go again with ANOTHER chargeback!!   One buyer claimed "unauthorized payment", it has a guy that filed this claim while his wife bid (even went into a bidding war) and yet they claimed as "unauthorized payment"!!  I see on the PayPal invoice that there are 2 names on it, one to send the item to and one as a payer both with the same address.

It seems that they are thinking that they can get away by filing a chargeback with their credit card, in hoping to keep two expensive items and get $$$ back.  I have send all proofs to PayPal for the credit card company including the bidding war showing that this buyer bid on it twice to win this item.  It cannot be "unauthorized" on their part!  I also asked PayPal to please check into their file to see if those scammers pulled the same stunts in the past and to share it with the credit card company.

It seems that we are going to see more and more potential scammers on eBay the upcoming months now.

With all past experiences with chargeback, the so-called "where is my item?", "item never received", etc., lately, I was very fortunate to follow my guts and upgrade the mail service to the ones with tracking number and I am hit with all those fraud claims!! 

Is there a red target on my forehead that they are trying to scam me or what??

It is unfortunately that Canada Post's rates are so expensive that I no longer can offer my buyers the cheapest mail services without tracking number any more.  I had to change nearly all my listings to mail services with tracking numbers to protect myself.

When I became a seller in January 2008, I was able to offer the most cheapest mail service without tracking number for nearly 4 years and then bam, I am seeing lots of scammers than before.

Was it because of eBay's idiot policy that seem to be allow scammers coming into to scam us??  I think so.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Chargeback

As mentioned before, the only thing that you need to show Paypal to win an unauthorized use chargeback is proof of shipment. If you have a tracking number and that number was scanned at least once, you will not be responsible for the chargeback.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Chargeback

It seems that they are thinking that they can get away by filing a chargeback with their credit card, in hoping to keep two expensive items and get $$$ back.  I have send all proofs to PayPal for the credit card company including the bidding war  

There was this article in our local BusinessWeek paper that encourages businesses to turn dead-beat customers into Small Claims. In my opinion "unauthorized" does not entitle the buyer to keep the item so if they do not make effort to return item, you have them by the balls. Banks are trying to convince everyone it's seller's responsibility to look in crystal ball and determine if transaction is fraudulent, which is very shaky ground when it comes to logical arguments.

PayPal user agreement does not limit members from going after the buyer and their bank, but if you name PayPal it has to be filed in New Brunswick.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Chargeback

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got very strange email from this buyer saying that I have nothing to worry about it as it is not me, it is between her, credit card company and PayPal and told me off to mind my own business!    I told her PayPal has hold my funds due to her chargeback claim, so how the heck should I not worry about it??

She claimed that it is her credit card company that increased her spending limit that screwed things up between her and PayPal, all those blah, blah.  It is just a strange story on her part.  And she even got upset at me for contacting her as I want to know why she filed a chargeback and she told me off and to mind my own business and that she no longer will buy from me.  That is okay, I already put her on my block list the minute PayPal informed me of her chargeback claim and beside, I no longer want do deal with anyone hiding behind the private feedback.

Anyway it has a tracking number and it showed she received it nearly 2 months.  The only way I can feel "safe" on eBay is that if I use the mail service with tracking number to ship all my items.  I have changed nearly 90-95% to mail service with tracking number about 6 months ago and I thought my sales would go down south but to my surprise it is opposite and I am selling a lot of fixed-priced items than usual, all those with expensive mail service with tracking number.  I even asked some of them if they think it is expensive to pay for the mail service with tracking number but got all very positive responses from them is that they feel "safe" knowing that they are insured and with tracking number than without tracking number. 

I had one buyer balk at having to paying for the mail service with tracking number and insurance (it was listed that way which he may not have read it fully before he bid on it) for one 35mm slide that was bid and won for $350.00.   Of course I am NOT going to ship it without tracking number and insurance, that is for sure.   Sometimes we cannot satisfy anyone. 

I will meet someone at Canada Post in the city next week, to discuss about my recommendations that all mail service should be include tracking number.  It makes sense as they have tracking equipment, so why not include tracking number on all mail service.  I am sure that many of us sellers who sell small items like stamps, trading cards, 4x6" photos, etc., would be happy to have tracking number and at the same time can offer cheaper mail service with tracking number. 

I would be happy as I have lots of small items that I would love to sell and want to ship them at cheaper mail service with tracking number like lettermail or small packets like USPS do offer to their US sellers.  I can hope and it will be accepted.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Chargeback

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got notification from PayPal that it was in my favor.  But actually why does PayPal needs to "pass bucks" to sellers each time?  PayPal needs to act up and take responsibilities for any chargeback and I am so sure they have insurance coverage for those kind?

It is sad that I am seeing more and more potential scammers on eBay than before.

It looks like I have to use mail service with tracking number on nearly all my listings from now on to protect myself.  Too bad that we don't have cheaper mail service like USPS for small items like photos, magazines, trading cards, etc.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Chargeback

But actually why does PayPal needs to "pass bucks" to sellers each time?  PayPal needs to act up and take responsibilities for any chargeback and I am so sure they have insurance coverage for those kind?

Your probably right and I think if these kind of actions hurt Ebay's bottom line, they would act

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Chargeback

Too bad that we don't have cheaper mail service like USPS for small items like photos, magazines, trading cards, etc.

I agree. At least it would be helpful to have the ability to purchase Delivery Confirmation for domestic mail of any kind including lettermail. And the Canada /USA service is quite well integrated, so we should be able to purchase DC for the States too.

With a smaller population and a larger land mass, it is likely that CPOs costs would be higher. And of course, they are not on the verge of bankruptcy like the USPS due to undercharging and over serving, so the purchase price might be higher. Perhaps fifty cents instead of 25 cents USD?

BTW did you see this from Andrea Stairs , Country Manager , eBay Canada in the National Post on October 29?

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/10/28/canadians-are-burdened-with-antiquated-customes-paperwo...

Looks like eBay is talking to the right people.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Chargeback

Andrea Stairs: raising the minimum postal import tax free exemption to $200 "....improve access for Canadian businesses to the global economy".

??????

I am not sure what Andrea had for breakfast that morning.

In fact, increasing the exemption for postal imports from $20 to $200 will HURT Canadian businesses and their employees at the expense of American and foreign exporters.  There is no logic in helping Canadian buyers avoid paying Canadian consumption taxes (GST/HST/PST) by making it easier and cheaper to buy from American businesses.

Canadian (tax paying) retailers lose business... their Canadian (tax paying) employees lose jobs... the provincial and federal governments lose tax revenue.

Oh yes... of course that may mean more revenue for eBay Inc, an American company paying no taxes in Canada.  That has nothing to do with "improve access for Canadian businesses".

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Chargeback

@pierrelebel wrote:

In fact, increasing the exemption for postal imports from $20 to $200 will HURT Canadian businesses and their employees at the expense of American and foreign exporters.  There is no logic in helping Canadian buyers avoid paying Canadian consumption taxes (GST/HST/PST) by making it easier and cheaper to buy from American businesses.

I agree with your comments.  My impression always was that the low $20 allowance was intended to encourage Canadians to buy from Canadians, if not always in practice, at least in principle.  

The fact that CBSA permits so much personal merchandise valued at over $20 to just "slide" through the border means that most Canadians who do any regular online shopping from the U.S. perceive their allowance to be higher than the $20 it is -- which is why all the brouhaha over the GSP.  

Whether the lax line of enforcement by CBSA is the result of sloppiness, lack of staffing, unmanageable volume, or some combination of all three, I really don't know.  

However, as a thought experiment, we could imagine what would happen if the current fuzzy allowance of $20 were raised to $200, given the same conditions of enforcement and a fairly strong Canadian dollar.  I think it would create a free-for-all of cross-border shopping by Canadians (online or otherwise), who, unless CBSA increased their vigilance considerably, could be buying items worth in the neighbourhood of $300 Cdn. tax-free.  Considering that a price tag of $100 to $300 encompasses an awful lot of electronic gadgets, one of the most sought-after markets, such a move to raise the allowance would be a death blow to any Canadian electronics retailers in particular, and suppress or kill off a lot of other Canadian retailers selling in that range of value.   

I agree that the most likely result would be that Canadian buyers would ignore Canadian retailers and the 13% to 15% HST/GST that those retailers have to collect, and flock en masse to U.S. or overseas sellers.  This is exactly, you may recall, what happened before the GST when the U.S. dollar slumped to about 75% of the $Cdn. back in the 1980's.  There were line-ups at every U.S./Canadian border crossing.  Canadians, it seems to me, have always been eager to get their hands on the U.S. market whenever they're given a chance to do so at a bargain rate.  

China has already managed to swamp the Canadian market -- can you picture what handing an even bigger advantage to non-Canadian retailers would do?  And yes, eBay itself would certainly profit from such a move, but the money wouldn't flow into Canadian hands (aside from, presumably, any Canadian shareholders). It could conceivably be the end of Canadian sellers' ability to sell profitably on eBay.  

The whole Canadian tariff/cross-border system, as I see it, is an extremely touchy mechanism that has to be adjusted very minutely and carefully, if at all.  Any sudden, big changes could have a devastating and far-reaching impact on the Canadian economy.  Raising the personal limit to $200 would be like opening the flood gates -- and it might be hard to put the water back after the fact. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Chargeback

I agree that it wouldn't be of benefit for businesses in Canada. I suspect that ebay's focus is on Canadian buyers and the gsp. They might have less complaints and more usage of the program if the import limits were higher.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Chargeback

Actually, it would benefit some Canadian ebay sellers although perhaps just a small percentage. Some of us do buy items from the U.S. to sell here and if the import threshold was higher, it would be easier to compete with U.S. sellers.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply