Commit to buy not there for americans on .CA

Saturday, I had a buyer contacting me saying she tried to put the items in her cart and she got a message that I do not offer combined shipping, which she knows is not true. I suggested to empty her cart, go on eBay.ca and Commit to buy there. Even sent her a screenshot of what it looks like. She said she did all of this, but when she clicks on BIN on eBay CANADA, she doesn't have the same Commit to buy screen that I have.

Now that is a real problem if Americans (or any other buyer outside Canada), cannot Commit to Buy anymore on eBay Canada...  Woman Mad

EBay should get rid of this stupid shopping cart and go back to the "Commit to Buy" button as it was in the past. At least THAT option was working!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Commit to buy not there for americans on .CA

It is a real problem, and a hidden one for sellers who aren't aware of what is going on in the background. 

I've been banging on this particular door for several months now, having run into it as a buyer earlier last year.  I finally got some clarification from the eBay Canada reps recently.  See this thread, my Post #7 and 'quottie's' Post #21 in reply.  

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/June-7-2017-Weekly-Session/td-p/375350/page/2

It is not a simple thing to understand, especially if you're listing on the two sites (.com and .ca), but I'd encourage you to read through the whole reply by 'quottie'.  There is no "ideal" solution, since BIN really doesn't mesh perfectly with the cart feature.  

Frankly I think it's only the older, experienced eBay buyers who still understand how BIN works and will want to use it.  According to eBay, most buyers now just want to load up their cart and go, as on any other online venue.  I've come to the conclusion personally that it's probably worth it to try to make the automated discounts work, as flawed and imperfect as they are, if only to cover the majority of buyer situations automatically.  I think it's better than having buyers see a "dead-end" screen.  (BTW, I presume the screen you refer to is the one I've included below). 

According to 'quottie' if you toggle the "Offer Combined Discounts" option on (in your "Preferences"), he believes your buyers won't see that awful screen telling them you don't offer discounts, even if you don't actually set up automated discount rules.  For  inexperienced eBay buyers it would be very frustrating, and potentially a sales killer.  You're lucky your buyer was persistent enough to actually contact you about it.  My concern was that most buyers won't bother, and just go elsewhere to shop.  

It's worth it to do anything to avoid having this appear: 

Buying-Screenshot 3.jpg

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

I think that the commit to buy option is based on the site the buyer is on not on the buyers location but I could be wrong. Perhaps there is another reason why the buyer didn't see the commit to buy screen? ?

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Also see this Wed. chat, Post #46, which seems to deal with a situation similar to the one you've described.  As I said, this is complicated.  I'd suggest sending a personal email to 'quottie' to look specifically at your scenario, as he seems to have a handle on this very complex issue. 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/June-14-2017-Weekly-Session-Moving-to-June-15/td-p/3...

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

If you go to the US boards, it is a constant barrage of issues there too.

Ebay is having some real technical issues and don't seem to care or fix them.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Care? or can't?

Ah well, the schools are out for the summer and they can unleash a new crop of unpaid interns to mess about with the site, like the kid who was so proud that after less than three months in the job, his revamp of the dotCOM Community Boards had been accepted.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I think it's better than having buyers see a "dead-end" screen.  (BTW, I presume the screen you refer to is the one I've included below). 

Yes, that is exactly that screen my buyer told me she was seing. I thanked her a lot for not giving up and contacting me. We finally decided that she would bid on the auctions, I would end them making her the winner and charge the difference between the minimum bid and the BIN in the shipping section. It is just so frustrating to be forced to use a workaround like that.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I think that the commit to buy option is based on the site the buyer is on not on the buyers location but I could be wrong. Perhaps there is another reason why the buyer didn't see the commit to buy screen? ?

I thought so too, but it seems eBay changed it. We would need a US buyer to try it out again to see if it was just a glitch or a new "rule".

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I had the same situation last week. I phoned eBay and they said to tell her she had to "commit to buy" after each purchase. She was a Canadian buyer (NOT US) and trying to purchase on .ca, so it is not just US buyers. She tried, but couldn't leave the purchase without paying.

I managed to get around it by asking her to tell me the items she wanted to purchase, and then I made up a special listing for her with the items and the combined shipping cost.

It worked out alright, but was a hassle and took a long time to work it all out. Many buyers would have given up.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Ebay and Paypal make more money if each item is paid for individually.

Maybe that is why I get so many paying for each item separately.

Another subject for the Wednesday or Thursday chat!

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

You might want to read the whole post from the US boards. Apparently they have been told all listings under 1000 with shipping stated will require immediate payment and eventually it will affect everyone.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Unwanted-quot-immediate-payment-required-quot/m-p/27115121#M985...

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Apparently they have been told all listings under 1000 with shipping stated will require immediate payment and eventually it will affect everyone.

Immediate Payment will only apply to Buy-it-Now without best offer option.

It will also not apply to Auction format listings.

I know eBay is trying to curb deadbeat buyers who don't pay....... but there has to be a better way to do that than to force sellers into immediate payment required.  

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

I think it's better than having buyers see a "dead-end" screen.  (BTW, I presume the screen you refer to is the one I've included below). 

Yes, that is exactly that screen my buyer told me she was seing. I thanked her a lot for not giving up and contacting me. We finally decided that she would bid on the auctions, I would end them making her the winner and charge the difference between the minimum bid and the BIN in the shipping section. It is just so frustrating to be forced to use a workaround like that.

That's the screen she saw when she tried to ask for a total from you when using the cart on .com right?  If that's what she was seeing on .ca then she would have been using the cart rather than clicking on buy it now. 

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

I stil see the commit to buy option on .ca, it's odd that your buyer didn't.  Perhaps she didn't realize that she could click on commit to buy and then go back a page to click on the item again so that she could click on see sellers other listings.  She could then use the buy it now/commit to buy another one of your items . She wouldn't have to pay for one item at a time.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

That's the screen she saw when she tried to ask for a total from you when using the cart on .com right?  If that's what she was seeing on .ca then she would have been using the cart rather than clicking on buy it now. 

No, that's the message she saw on .CA when using the cart.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I stil see the commit to buy option on .ca, it's odd that your buyer didn't.  Perhaps she didn't realize that she could click on commit to buy and then go back a page to click on the item again so that she could click on see sellers other listings.  She could then use the buy it now/commit to buy another one of your items . She wouldn't have to pay for one item at a time.

I sent her a screen shot of the "Commit to buy" page, and she said she was not seeing that. I should have asked what she was seeing, but I just gave her the workaround instead and she accepted to do it.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

I would still suggest you contact one of the eBay Canada reps directly about this.  

With more information in direct reports from sellers (save your screen shots to give to them), they may be able to fit this scenario into the larger puzzle, and hopefully come up with some solutions to the overall checkout issue.  It really is not working well. 

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Still a garbage cart.

Added 6 items, requested invoice, got have to commit to buy so did and sent request.

Got seller does not offer combined shipping, proceed to checkout.

No way will I do that with an order form Europe and have the shipping over charged so Ebay can line their pockets and the seller gets hosed for fees.

Absolutely ridiculous like so many problems here.

But they keep charging us more!.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

It's a ridiculous scenario, buyers being unable to checkout easily and quickly, and sellers being completely uninformed by eBay about why.  

I suspect many sellers are still unaware that you have to toggle on the "Allow Combined Discounts" in Seller Preferences, whether you actually set up automated discount rules or not (this, at least, is what has to be done to avoid the "doesn't allow discounts" error, according to the eBay Canada reps).  

EBay should never have allowed this situation to continue for so long.  They should either have better informed sellers about this critical point, or just fixed the programming to permit buyers to check out as they wish.  

There is no question that a lot of us will have lost a significant number of sales due to this ongoing problem -- and these are the multi-item orders we especially want, and that make eBay more money!  I don't blame buyers who throw up their hands in frustration and give up trying to make a purchase.  I've been close to doing to the same (as a buyer) in exactly the same situation.  

How the heck does it benefit eBay not to deal with this as top priority?  Boggles the mind. 

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

I did the work around and bought every item and then backed out of the cart for each one.

Th\ey are all in the cart and have committed to buy waiting for check out.

Again requested invoice and same message, seller does not allow combined shipping proceed to checkout.

If I was not a seasoned buyer and seller, I would just tell the seller to forget it, not worth the hassels.

Ebay just does not care about their smaller sellers and buyers, and they can deny it all they want and give more song and dance answers that mean nothing and go no where.

Absolutely pathetic for all buyers and sellers.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply