Correct me if I'm wrong.

I closed down on June 21/16 because of the possible strike.  I started relisting on July 10/16 and noticed that sales/views are down.  I had a rhythm of sales going before.  Say 50 to 75 per month, give or take a couple.   Since July 10/16 only a few sales.

I believe that because I closed down and started back up, I lost a couple of notches in the best match sort.  I have heard that sellers if they run out of an item, just put the item cost up really high so that they will not lose their place in best match.  

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I find that newly listed items or soon to end ones get the best exposure so I'm not sure that ending your listings are the cause for slower sales.  What you are saying would be true if you had multiple item listings which had recent sales.  Having recent sales boosts you in search and if you end and relist those items, you will lose the sales history and your previous sales search 'boost'. But  I think that most of your items are one of a kind?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I just find that best match a mystery.   What comes out in best match for me when I search is not the newest listings, not the sellers that have 100% feedback, not the best quality, not the best price but sellers who sell a lot.  It seems that the more you sell the higher you are on best match.  If you haven't sold anything (closed down due to possible strike) you don't have a very good standing even if it is newly listed.

Just my kick at the mystery of best match. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Correct me if I'm wrong.

"Since July 10/16 only a few sales."

Most Canadian mail order sellers (selling online or through other media) are experiencing a slowdown due to the possible mail work stoppage.

Give it time.  Things will eventually return to normal.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Best March has a lot of factors and you're right, sales  is definitely a factor and in imo, it is one of the most important ones. I do find if I sell one item, I will likely sell another very similar item in the next day or two.  So yes I guess that closing down could have an effect.  But in my case, my store was on vacation until late Wednesday and I've had 1 or 2 sales a day since. For me, that's decent as I don't have as many listings as you.   

But if sales is a big factor and you had marked up  your items with high prices so that they wouldn't sell wouldn't  that have the same result as closing?  Also, not everyone uses best match.  I think that a lof of buyers use newly listed.

July is traditionally slow in many types of retail so tha could also be a factor.  I guess that I am saying there is no real definitive answer to your question. 😳

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I had no sales for a few days after I reopened, but things seem to be back to normal now.

I have a fair bit of new stuff up, since I used the time to list some of the backlog--- which I should be doing now!.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Best Match is about relevance. If you sell a lot, the match assumes you are more relevant than a seller who does not. Momentum certainly has something to do with it. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh and my sales are in the dumps as well. I stayed open. People are just not shopping online in Canada right now due to concerns about the postal strike-lockout. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I opened up Monday last week and my sales came back immediately.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Your customers are all American.

Mine are Canadian.

Canadians aren't shopping online right now.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Correct me if I'm wrong.

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Your customers are all American.

Mine are Canadian.

Canadians aren't shopping online right now.

Friend of mine, said a couple days ago: "They are on strike". Yeah, there are a lot of people in Canada that think that.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 11
latest reply