Cp rate increase

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Canada post just announced .85 stamps will be .90 in January, 6+% increase.  No doubt other services will get that or more

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Cp rate increase

@toff3 wrote:

Rose-dee,

Victoria, BC ain't La La Land, it's Lotus Land. But, never mind, good for Femme 

Um, you might want to lighten up a bit.  It was intended as a joke, perhaps not a very good one eh?. Woman Wink

And, um, being from T.O. myself but having actually lived in Lotus Land for many, many years, yes, I do know it's not called La La Land, but as they say, same diff.  Trust me on that one. Woman LOL

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

Cp rate increase

@recped wrote:

I'm here in hogtown and I'm well aware that the approval process for a standard letter increase over and above the official pre-authorized amount (2/3 the rate of inflation or something like that) is a rubber stamp process.

For all other services they can set whatever prices they like and given they are not making any money they will push the boundaries as much as they can. It's the same situation all over the world, the only postal services that are making money are those that are greatly expanding their services (eg: financial services) and/or setting up international operations. Those types of actions are what is making SingPost, PostNord, B-Post & Deutsche Post profitable. They are not making it on domestic mail delivery.

Ben,

So what, if anything, are you suggesting? We carry on, with annual increases ad infinitum until...what?

That cap of 2/3 the rate of inflation on the domestic letter rate has, I believe, gone the way of the dodo. In March 2014 the letter rate increased 35%. The proposed increase for 2016 is about three times the inflation rate and Canada Post still predicts a net loss for the year. Annual increases in the rate began in 1988. The only years in which there was no increase were 2008 and 2015. There's no end in sight. Obviously, the present system doesn't work, a total overhaul or makeover is required.

Deutsche Post was privatized in 1995. In 2013 they raised the basic domestic letter rate by 5%. It was the first time the rate was increased in 15 years.

Tom

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Cp rate increase

let's hope we don't get the privatized gov't services some seem to be wishing for...

guy in BC's house burns down in January.

In July, Fortis (local privatized utility) bills him $4500 for electricity for the period May 17 - July 17 and issues ultimatum forcing him to pay or have the rest of his services cut off.

http://infotel.ca/newsitem/4500-fortis-bill-for-house-which-isnt-there/it21539

Given that Germany is something like 40x more densely populated than Canada, it was rather curious that their "profitable" corporate letter mail cost around 40% more than ours up until CP's last increase

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Cp rate increase

Better pray Mulcair doesnt get in and follow through on his threat to bring in legislation to save home delivery for the 32% that have it, and add $500 million to CPs costs

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

Cp rate increase

"to save home delivery for the 32% that have it,"

That comment is misleading.

With all the changes proposed by Canada Post, rural Canada will continue to get home delivery.  Can you imagine what farmers and rural residents would do on election day if they lose their mail delivery?

The only one affected are Canadians who have been getting mail delivery to their doors for years.

Folks living in apartment buildings will continue to get their mail in their buildings.

Folks who purchased new homes in the last twenty or thirty years in new developments have been using community mail boxes.  No change for them.

Canada Post indicated that no mail carrier will lose his or her job, yet they expect to save 8,000 employees over time due mostly to retirement.

Canada Post could have saved the same money by cutting mail delivery for all residential addresses to every second day while keeping daily delivery for businesses.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

Cp rate increase

Canada Post could have saved the same money by cutting mail delivery for all residential addresses to every second day while keeping daily delivery for businesses.

I wonder if that is already informally the case?

We get door to door delivery, but both here and in Ottawa, I have noticed that we don't often get mail on Thursdays. This is anecdote, not data.

In both locations, we are in residential not mixed districts. There are a lot of apartments in this postal walk.

We get a lot of mail, including magazines and parcels, more than the average home, I suspect.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Cp rate increase

"we don't often get mail on Thursdays."

Talk to your mail carrier!  Soon after we moved to Napanee (residential area), Mary and I had the opportunity to meet our mail carrier (Louise) and we get mail daily.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply