Customer requests extra service in order note

Emailed the buyer that cannot fill order as placed because the service requested is not included in the price. So far no response.

This is usually a no brainer to resolve on own website orders, we send out invoice for extra and customer either alters instruction or pays invoice. If no response, we refuse the order and refund. Simple.

However on Ebay I see no way to refuse order, the only reasons for cancellation are "I am out of stock" or "Buyer wants to cancel the order", none of which applies. I cannot accept the order as placed without significant loss multiple times order value. Also there is the point of buyer being able to rate transaction even though original demand was not reasonable and there was no product or service failure.

Whats the best way to proceed on here ?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well, the buyer finally replied and withdrew problematic instruction, so that has been resolved.

I could have ignored the instruction. Some we actually ignore - have repeat customer who always asks to draw a picture on the package - we ignore that. Or "Send ASAP", "Pack carefully" - yes, we already do that without special instruction. But if buyer demands "I need it by Friday" after he selected and paid for slow service, and I know 100% it will not be there by Friday and then buyer stops communicating, I cannot possibly accept such order. Or if buyer asks to declare lower value, etc. Some demands we simply cannot cater to.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

What "extra service"?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

73rhc
Community Member

Can you not resend a modified invoice?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I'm assuming they've asked for trackable after they paid (in my world they ask for registered, which is $17 for international orders!).

I advise the price and give them the options of going as it was before, paying the extra or cancelling the transaction. If they respond to cancel then you can say the buyer changed their mind....even if you don't hear from them, technically they changed their mind by changing the shipping even though it was after paying(?)
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

You've told the buyer what the price would be for the service he requested? He may just be thinking about it.

If you haven't, do so. Mention Canada Post. Mention cross-border. Mention your city name and his. Heck, use 'eh?' a couple of times. The point is to make him notice that you are not across town from him.

But also mention the delivery time, just in case he panicks.

Send him a Paypal invoice for the requested service plus the value of the item. Cross-reference the invoice to the eBay transaction.

If he pays the original eBay invoice, no problem.

If he pays the Paypal invoice, mark the item paid and shipped and put in the tracking number.

We have to keep reminding ourselves that US customers in particular can be upgraded to Delivery Confirmed service for about a quarter and most sellers would just eat such a tiny amount.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Thanks to all.

Buyer in Poland requires tracking on USD $10 free ship sale that normally goes via ChitChat's CAD $1.70 Belgium forward.

USPS Priority at USD $42 is expensive due to exchange rate, more than CanadaPost Tracked Parcel, which is still way too much.

My usual course of action policy is to give 1-2 quotes and have customer decide if they want fast or cheap. Usually customer replies, but not this one.

"Buyer changed mind" cancellation requires buyer's consent. For all practical purposes, "I run out of stock" would be probably best cancellation venue in this case. I will send him reminder, give him couple more days and if no reply will just cancel as "Run out od stock".

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I would not take the heat based on "buyer request" due to them creating an "address problem".

Photobucket
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I would use problem with address as well.

If the buyer doesn't reply to the cancellation, you should be able to close it in 10 days or so.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@dipmicro wrote:

Thanks to all.

Buyer in Poland requires tracking on USD $10 free ship sale that normally goes via ChitChat's CAD $1.70 Belgium forward.

USPS Priority at USD $42 is expensive due to exchange rate, more than CanadaPost Tracked Parcel, which is still way too much.

My usual course of action policy is to give 1-2 quotes and have customer decide if they want fast or cheap. Usually customer replies, but not this one.

"Buyer changed mind" cancellation requires buyer's consent. For all practical purposes, "I run out of stock" would be probably best cancellation venue in this case. I will send him reminder, give him couple more days and if no reply will just cancel as "Run out od stock".

Why don't you just tell them what I tell them....

"I'm sorry, tracking is not available for small packets from Canada"

The fact you're not technically shipping "small packet" is irrelevant, you are shipping from Canada.

Why you would try to cancel a paid order over something like this boggles my mind.

I don't wait around for a reply because there is only one type of reply I've ever received in the probably hundreds of times this has occurred......

Answer = "ok thanks"

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I believe if the buyer does not reply to the "buyer changed mind" it still cancels and in your favour, with respect to defects... the out of stock does cause a defect.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:
I believe if the buyer does not reply to the "buyer changed mind" it still cancels and in your favour, with respect to defects... the out of stock does cause a defect.

And if the buyer doesn't agree to cancel, what happens then?

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I guess you can't change to "out of stock" at that point. Sending it untrackable and keeping fingers crossed, will probably end up generating a defect.....too....although one might be able to convince the ebay support folks to undo an INR defect when there is a message trail showing the buyer refused to cancel because of the change in shipping requested....
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Well, the buyer finally replied and withdrew problematic instruction, so that has been resolved.

I could have ignored the instruction. Some we actually ignore - have repeat customer who always asks to draw a picture on the package - we ignore that. Or "Send ASAP", "Pack carefully" - yes, we already do that without special instruction. But if buyer demands "I need it by Friday" after he selected and paid for slow service, and I know 100% it will not be there by Friday and then buyer stops communicating, I cannot possibly accept such order. Or if buyer asks to declare lower value, etc. Some demands we simply cannot cater to.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

"have repeat customer who always asks to draw a picture on the package"

(off-topic) Smiley Happy <--- Would a smiley face like this not suffice? I draw one of these on almost all packages unless I forgot. And I stamp (not-postage) a few cute faces (stamp custom made by myself) on the back of my letters. Takes only a few extra seconds but I like to get positive feedback from buyers that complimented how cute they are Smiley Wink And yes I custom-made my return address stamp too lol 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

"have repeat customer who always asks to draw a picture on the package"

(off-topic) Smiley Happy <--- Would a smiley face like this not suffice? I draw one of these on almost all packages unless I forgot. And I stamp (not-postage) a few cute faces (stamp custom made by myself) on the back of my letters. Takes only a few extra seconds but I like to get positive feedback from buyers that complimented how cute they are Smiley Wink And yes I custom-made my return address stamp too lol 

He is quite specific, if I remember correctly last time he asked to draw a picture of dragon 😉

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Seriously? lol

I doubt that anyone would ask me to draw anything more than once. I have zero drawing talent.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply