DUPLICATE LISTING FRUSTRATIONS

I'm sure there are many sellers who every so often do the ebay NO-NO of accidentally doing a duplicate listing......

Thankfully the ebay autobots usually catch the duplicate listing just as you click the LIST button, & won't allow the listing to proceed.

However, sometimes it is not caught & sellers will get the ebay warning notice regarding the penalties for duplicate listing a few days later.

Every so often some sellers even get to spend 7 days in jail (ie they're suspended until they get the Get Out of JaIl Card after waiting the 7 days).

Why can't ebay's programers improve their algorithms so to catch these duplicate listing 100% of the time & just not allow sellers to list them during the final stages of the listing process.

I'm not a computer programmer, but am thinking that it would be a very easy thing for ebay to do.

This would aid sellers who want to list many unsold items without them having to waste valuable time checking to see if listings are duplicate or not.

Ebay would probably end up with more fees from more sales also.

For my own listings, I know I would probably have about 25% more listings most of the time on my unsold lots.

If I can't find the time in order to check for possible duplicate listings, I just don't bother to do the relists.

Might be a good proposal to bring up during the ebay's regular meetings..... as I'm sure they're always looking for ways to make ebay better for all.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I suspect it is harder than technodolts like me might hope.

Could I suggest that you add a note to each of your ended listings as they end, or to each of your beginning listings with the site and date of the listing?

These notes can only be seen by you.

I have found this helpful when I decide to Sell Similar on long running lisitings. (It refreshes them, I believe.)

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I agree that thy should be able to set it up so that the duplicate is caught before listing. I also think that getting a 7 day suspension for one or two duplicate listings isn't reasonable. There are worse things being done and ignored around here.

You can check for current duplicates by using the following tool...just put in your ebay id and site.

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/DuplicateListings.htm

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

ive also found if you have a listing in the buy it now category and decide to send it to auction sometimes it wont cancell the buy it now listing,and you end up with a duplicte listing that has happened several times to me good thing i noticed before i went to jail,like it wasnt my fault that ebay screwed up,do they really cut you foff for 7 days over a simple mistake,ive had wornings about this not often but they make a federal case out of nothing so it seems

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@aubreyclay56 wrote:

ive also found if you have a listing in the buy it now category and decide to send it to auction sometimes it wont cancell the buy it now listing,and you end up with a duplicte listing that has happened several times to me good thing i noticed before i went to jail,like it wasnt my fault that ebay screwed up,do they really cut you foff for 7 days over a simple mistake,ive had wornings about this not often but they make a federal case out of nothing so it seems

A Fixed Price Listing and an Auction listing at the same time is allowed.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

thank  you for that information i didnt no that,

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

If you use Turbo Lister, it usually DOES catch duplicate listings and identifies which items they are. Just another benefit to those who know how to use the program.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Allowed as long as the auction listing does not have a Buy It Now price.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I had just done a 'cancel stale listings and then Sell Similar to get the bounce' exercise, when I was told about that.

I had closed and opened about 40 listings.

Turned out I had six duplicates.

And the dates and times told me that of the six duplicates, four had duplicated when I did the Sell Similar, duplicating themselves  within one or two minutes of the Sell Similar.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Wow!

Super comments from so many ebay sellers.

Additionally every reply had something useful to add, plus many helpful hints that I was not aware of.

Made me feel like it was well worth my time to initiate the topic.

Thanks & kudos to all who chimed in......

If I ever get caught doing the 'duplicate listing' taboo again, I won't feel quite as bad as before.

At least if I have go to jail for a week, I'l have lots of company.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

could be anyone of us law bidding citizens sittin in with you when in fact sometimes maybe it should be ebay staff doin sum hard time turnin little ones into big ones lol instead of turning big ones into little ones
Message 11 of 11
latest reply