Damaged Return Question

Anyone have to deal with Ebay on a return that was damaged? I have a return that is just that, Damaged. I dont know if its worth trying to fight it with Ebay, They are so sided with the buyer these days, it probably a waste of time. Anyone have had any experience , I would like to hear it.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Damaged Return Question

@jerseywithstats wrote:

The item was sent back damaged.

.............the buyers threats of ruining the item and then returning it to me.

Well I did receive the item .................. I got a rag and newspaper. 

I called Ebay, and of course they wont do anything, but they did give me back my FVF , YEPEE!

This is the first time this is happened to me. Anyone with some experience in something like this? Im thinking of calling the authorities. I dont know what good it will do. I dont know if you even can, because it is in the US. SUCKS!!!

jersey:  Based on what you've posted here I'd have a lot of questions if I were the one taking your report.

First you posted that your received a damaged item.

Then you changed that and posted that you received rags and paper.

You've also posted that there were issues with the buyer and communication had deteriorated to a very low level and to a point where the buyer was making threats, but you haven't said what those issues were.

EBay will of course have access to those messages, but we don't.

I'm in no way saying that you were wrong here.

I am pointing out that to a third party looking in it's impossible to know what to believe, and that's based only what you've told us.

With the buyer's story in the mix it will get even more convoluted.

You asked if anyone had experience with this this kind of thing?   I've had a similar situation, and if you can actually get the police to file a report let us know.  They may simply push you around among various departments etc., until you're just plain worn out and give up. 

Message 21 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

@sylviebee wrote:

@jerseywithstats wrote:

The item was sent back damaged.

.............the buyers threats of ruining the item and then returning it to me.

Well I did receive the item .................. I got a rag and newspaper. 

I called Ebay, and of course they wont do anything, but they did give me back my FVF , YEPEE!

This is the first time this is happened to me. Anyone with some experience in something like this? Im thinking of calling the authorities. I dont know what good it will do. I dont know if you even can, because it is in the US. SUCKS!!!

jersey:  Based on what you've posted here I'd have a lot of questions if I were the one taking your report.

First you posted that your received a damaged item.

Then you changed that and posted that you received rags and paper.

You've also posted that there were issues with the buyer and communication had deteriorated to a very low level and to a point where the buyer was making threats, but you haven't said what those issues were.

EBay will of course have access to those messages, but we don't.

I'm in no way saying that you were wrong here.

I am pointing out that to a third party looking in it's impossible to know what to believe, and that's based only what you've told us.

With the buyer's story in the mix it will get even more convoluted.

You asked if anyone had experience with this this kind of thing?   I've had a similar situation, and if you can actually get the police to file a report let us know.  They may simply push you around among various departments etc., until you're just plain worn out and give up.    

I understood from the first post that the buyer claimed the item was damaged and was returning it to the seller, the OP. Later in this topic, the OP received the returned item and opened the package to find rags and paper.

OP did not change his story, just updated it as more events took place.

Message 22 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

This is how I understand it as well.  I don't see any inconsistencies, just an unfolding story.

"jerseywithstats" - I hope you will follow up with your local police.  You have the right to file an official police report and receive a file number.  Although most police departments have on-line reporting, because you need to follow up with eBay, it's probably better to go in person.  Take your time before you go and write out your complaint, review it and edit it into concise point form.  Make sure you take along copies of Listing #, a photo, correspondence with the buyer, and anything else that corroborates your complaint such as the returned rag and newspaper and hopefully the addressed package.

I hope good luck follows your bad luck.

Message 23 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

"I am pointing out that to a third party looking in it's impossible to know what to believe, and that's based only what you've told us.

With the buyer's story in the mix it will get even more convoluted."

I think that could go without saying to any post that involves a second party. The thing is, Im not asking you to believe me, I am simply telling about my situation.

I appreciate most everyone's solutions. I dont know if I am more angry that a buyer can simply get away with this or what almost feels like a violation. Sorta like if youve been robbed.

Anyway I will take what was most of your advice and head down to the police station report the incident. will update , if any.

Message 24 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

I dont want people getting confused. I was on my other account when I posted the above message

Message 25 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

I agree with pj. As you attend the police detachment, you may be educating them on the process as well. The guy standing at the counter will perhaps not be particularly excited about taking your information but go with everything you've got: papers, the box of junk that was returned and tell them your story. Show them your ebay account on your smartphone, the photos you had of your sold item and how this differs from what was returned to you. You will have to explain it is theft, regardless of the manner in which it was done. Or fraud.

If this had happened to me, I would not stand for it. While it might be said that I don't know where to pick my battles, this wasn't a $20 item that was taken from you. It was valued at much more than that.

In the end, ebay may require you to file with them an actual copy of the police report (as opposed to simply an incident number) which may take extra weeks for police to generate and also cost you to purchase for their administrative time. You should expect to talk to ebay on multiple occasions about this. And I must stress the talk part. Going through the motions of reporting it online will not suffice.

Good luck as you carry forward.

Message 26 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

So I got my appeal back. The same **bleep**py generic response 

After reviewing your appeal, we won't be able to change the outcome of the case, unfortunately.

We're sorry there was a problem this transaction. However, after further review, we confirmed that our original decision was correct.

Ebay has allow this low life to falsify a statement of a legal transaction to benefit himself. Ebay refunded him without the fact that the item was not yet delivered to me and I was unable to inspect the item and was not allowed to respond to these facts. We as the sellers would never be able to send the wrong item to a customer because Ebay has done a good job making sure the buyer is protected but discriminates against their sellers by not offering the same protection.

Ive been on Ebay long enough that I should know the returns policies, but either I am out of touch or Ebay is. Was it not suppose to go, that a delivery needs to be made first, and I should have the ability to inspect the item. Was there not a time where I could then go to an area on the case page to refund payment. Has it all changed because in this return I wasn't able to find anywhere to respond. It was like the whole process was on auto pilot

Message 27 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

This a new one on me. I left the buyer an honest feedback which read

!! BEWARE THIEF!! RETURNS RAG&PAPER NOT ITEM.REPORTED 2 POLICE INVESTIGATING!!!!

Negative yes but very much the truth and I have filed a police report with file # and a IC3 Complaint. So if I am lying I have perjured myself in front of a Federal and Provincial agency. Well of course Ebay supports thieves and removed the comment. OK Ill accept this.

But then I send a follow up. Nothing negative. They took it down saying I cant do follow ups. I have never heard this one. If I cant do followups then why was I able to.

After reviewing your eBay account, it appears that you have violated eBay's Negative Comment left for a buyer policy.
-The following Feedback comment you left has been removed:
!!EVERYONE PLEASE CONTACT jersey..authentix 2TELL U HOW WONDERFULL THIS BUYER IS

Because sellers aren't able to leave negative Feedback for buyers, leaving a negative comment or follow-up comment with a positive Feedback rating isn't allowed.

Message 28 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

Sellers cannot leave negative (or false positive) feedback for buyers.

And generally a good thing, since other sellers rarely see their customers' feedback and new customers may decide not to deal with a rageaholic.

You can leave a Response to your buyer's feedback if he has left any.

While the most effective feedback is calm and factual, it is not required to be positive. 'Police report # 1234567 laid 16/6/15 at LittleTown MB ' PD  might make the few who see it think a bit.

Message 29 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

And never use all caps or multiple exclamation marks.

Just don't.

Message 30 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

UPDATE

So I call Ebay and tell them I was to reopen my appeal because the last appeal I was not given any opportunity to provide a statement or evidence to support my claim.I told her that I have filed a police report and IC3 report and an FTC report.

The response I received was no claim will be opened . They are sticking to there decision. I told them how can you sit there and support a thief while I have all this evidence against him. Well she Says " if you would have opted into our hassle free returns , we could cover you on these type of issues". I said WHAT????I have never heard of anything like that. I said " r you making this up as you go?"" I have never heard of a hassle free " " so your saying even though I have Federally and Provincially made a statement that if I was lying I would purger my self, and all U can say is, well if you opted into the hassle free returns I would have been looked after but since I didn't IM out of luck." Then she goes on about policy. And it pretty much went south after that. A few more facts went on deaf ears

Man this gets tiring. Last but not least I filed a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. They usually respond to that!

Damb frustrating. Is there a difference when you call Ebay using .com vs .ca???

Oh Ya. One last thing. She says being a third party they were not there when the box was opened so they cant say what was sent. I said well isnt that what appeals are for. Got quite for a few seconds. The problem also is when you call Ebay , you talk to a robot.

Message 31 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

"Is there a difference when you call Ebay using .com vs .ca???"

There should be no difference but one must make sure the eBay representative understands the caller is from Canada.

As to using eBay.ca or eBay.com, yes there are differences.  The "hassle free return" applies only if you list on eBay.com.  A seller does not need to live in the USA or even ship from the USA but the listing must be on eBay.com:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/return-process.html

Message 32 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

I don't see how the hassle free returns program would have made a difference in this situation anyway.

Message 33 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

"Man this gets tiring. Last but not least I filed a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. They usually respond to that!"

I know this is so frustrating and I don't want to add to that. But my experience with BBB is that they are dogs without teeth. My initial experience with them was a long process that went nowhere. They have no power and can only post the bad experience of consumers et al.

Good luck and hopefully there is some sort of remedy for this in the near future.

P.s. I would call eBay back and ask to speak to a manager. It may not go anywhere, but they are usually better informed and more sympathetic. That's been my experience.
Message 34 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

As to using eBay.ca or eBay.com, yes there are differences.  The "hassle free return" applies only if you list on eBay.com.  A seller does not need to live in the USA or even ship from the USA but the listing must be on eBay.com:

I list on .ca. Where on the .ca site can I find something on MISUSE OF RETURNS .

The problem I dont see how they will reopen the case. You cant  get through to these people , ( and I use the term loosely ). There has already been an appeal, so they refuse to

re-open the case. The so called appeal that I recieved ended as quickly as I opened it . It was like a Light switch.  I never got a chance to have my say, nor enter any evidence. You think some how they would listen to this fact that I never got the chance to respond, but they dont want to hear any of it.

Also when the item was returned, Ebay had already refunded the money the day before. I wonder if this guy has friends in Ebay. What a joke!

Message 35 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

When you list on eBay.com, you may elect to use the "no hassle return" program which, according to the rep you spoke to, provides some protection for sellers.  I have no idea if that program adds any protection for sellers in such instances. I can only guess the "protection" comes from the condition policy required of buyers:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/return-item-condition.html

There is no such thing on eBay.ca

Message 36 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

Can you call and speak to a supervisor? Can this be addressed through Paypal as opposed to ebay? 

Message 37 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

That page is not specific to hassle free returns but is for any return.

Similar policies are on the following page but unfortunately, ebay hasn't been following through on cases when the return policy is misused.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/buying-practices.html

It's also mentioned under the MBG although it isn't as detailed as what you posted from .com

When an item is returned to the seller

• The buyer must return the item in the same condition in which it was received.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

A case is not opened on the site that the listing was posted on, it is opened on the site the item was purchased on so in this case, the buyer would probably have opened the case on .com. But that isn't really important as  the rules for the MBG should be the same.

Message 38 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

CONCLUSION!!!

After all the running around filling police reports and everyones elses reports I finally got my money back. At The end of the day I am out $36 and  my time. Ebay finally was willing to hear what I had to say.

Ebay is now looking more into the case. I have given all the evidence to Ebay. The guy is still up. I dont think Ebay will do much, but at least they are aware of the guy. Hopefully he wont do it too someone else , but when you get a way with it once , why not try for a second.

Message 39 of 41
latest reply

Damaged Return Question

Congrats!

Message 40 of 41
latest reply