Devin Wenig, incoming eBay CEO wants go get back to the old ways

Some good read about Ebay finally acknowledging that they have treat us sellers like **bleep**. He is making some good promises but seeing is believing.

www.yahoo.com/tech/s/ebay-bids-chance-success-paypal-123954214.html

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

There was way way way more questionable sellers in "the old days"!  Netclearances and bargainland types were the "big sellers', with 10% negative fb (and that was when sellers could retaliate with negs on buyers).  And all the scams where ids would build fb with .01 "digital recipes" then list huge quantities of something expensive and send a trinket with tracking.  Ebay did manage to put an end to almost all of that.  

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Not In my dealings...not even close. I only found difficulties on the payment end before paypal gained traction. The old stuffed envelope days.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Great Article!  The featured stamp merchant's concerns regarding Ebay sales tanking with no way to find out why and his restructuring to sell on Amazon also mirrors my own situation. My Amazon sales and own website sales are increasing at the same time that Ebay sales are decreasing.  As a full time seller I can no longer depend on Ebay and I have chosen not to renew my store subscription - preferring to pay month to month instead to see what happens with Ebay. Hopefully with new management Ebay can salvage what's left and build on it instead of becoming a page in history.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

Very good article/link and thank you for sharing it OP.

However one BIG problem with this statement and that is the orator/speaker: Ebay CEO.

Based on past experience with past ebay CEO's and public relation people statements one can only conclude that the CEO is simply lying as usual. Stating one policy change publicly in order to appeal to the public while privately in the boardroom the exact opposite is actually being discuss and implemented.

Take a look at prior statements made by previous ebay CEO's and the following implementations and it becomes very hard to believe whatever is stated publicly. Very sad but this is what capitalism at all cost has become.

Ebay is slowly dying and at this point they seem to be willing to state anything publicly in order to survive as long as possible even though the life support system is slowly running out of gas.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

eBay will have to face many questions.....How much is too Much?

The total number of listings.... How many is too many.  crowded categories

The regulations  for sellers.....

Bad sellers 

Scam buyers... recognize bad buyers ... before.... they become a big problem on eBay

Enforcing the regulations... with some measure of equality for sellers as well as buyers...

Big sellers  versus small sellers...  big sellers  think they can do most anything and not be at fault...

......  as just a start

eBay has to look very critically at what it has... and not chase any rainbows....such as ...Skype... the Enterprise unit

Paypal was eBay's best buy over the years... but that is gone....

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

@ironchachi wrote:

Perhaps a better screening process on the seller end.

You know, this is something that I've thought for a couple of years (ever since the defect system was introduced) would be a far better idea than what we have now.  

Rather than continuing to punish experienced sellers who have built reliable reputations on the same basis as newcomers, I think eBay should have some sort of "probationary" period for new sellers, followed by increasingly more lenient rules.  Perhaps even a sort of screening test at the end of the "novice" period might be helpful.  The test, if failed, could be taken again after a further probationary time.  (BTW, I realize there is a hold period and some limits on newbie sellers, but it isn't sufficient or long enough in my view, nor is it the right kind of control). 

A scaled system of rules/consequences might help eBay keep those sellers who have proven they know how to sell, know how to make customers happy, and know how not to cause problems for eBay.  Consider this: for every egregious error made by a seller who has never bothered to do his/her homework (or a seller who just doesn't care), how many buyers does eBay lose?  They'd be better off, if they want to support smaller sellers, to reward those who actually help to keep buyers coming through the door.  

This is what many Provinces do with new drivers.  It's also what a lot of insurance companies do -- the more experienced and proven you are, the more "free passes" you get for the odd mistake.  In BC, if I recall correctly, I had built up enough brownie points as a driver that not only did I get a significant discount on my car insurance, but ICBC would have permitted me two accidents without any consequences to my record or my pocketbook. 

I think this concept could work on eBay, if the muck-a-mucks at the boardroom table in San Jose had the guts and creativity to institute it.  Of course, that is based on the belief that what eBay CEO's say is what they actually intend to do, and not just lip-service to make shareholders feel warm and fuzzy. 

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

Perhaps a change should include when ebay site opens on the screen, buyers should see an Ebay Commercial site link for those big names to duke it out amongst themselves; and, and Ebay Flea Market site link for those collectors, small sellers, etc. That way the two don't mix. The big sellers sell separately from the others... just a thought.

Janet and Paul
Message 28 of 29
latest reply

As the stamp seller in the interview said, "I love the words".

Message 29 of 29
latest reply