Differences in selling on .com

I have never listed on .com before but now with eBay's reduced free listings on .ca I find I have already used up my .ca listings for the month & would like to use the 20 free on .com as well. I know that when listing there domestic shipping would be shipping to US which is OK as I use flat rate small packet for US & international but how do you handle Canadian shipping? Can you have it set up to use the shipping calculator (am assuming not)or do you have to calculate a flat fee for Canada? Anything else I should be aware of??
Appreciate help from any who list on .com from Canada. Thanks.
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Hi Katlover!

I only list on .COM

You can list your domestic (ie the USA) rate as you normally do.

You can specifically list Canada and its associated flat rate shipping secondarily.

Then you can list the "world" or whatever is normal with it's own flat rate shipping third.

Hope that helps?
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

I tried cutting and pasting but it was too big.

An example from me is:

USA flat rate shipping is ZERO (I use free shipping)
Flat rate shipping to Canada is ZERO (they also get free shipping)
Custom location flat rate shipping China & Brazil $17.50
Worldwide flat rate shipping is $3.00
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Custom location flat rate shipping China & Brazil $17.50

You use registered mail to those countries? When you've used it are you able to see online delivery confirmation?

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I list the majority of my items on .com and use flat rate. For the U.S. I use 'standard shipping from outside of the U.S.

I separate Canada and other countries but use 'standard int'l shipping' for both.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Hi pjc, yes I use registered. Sometimes it does show delivery confirmation, sometimes it doesn't, depending on the country (in CP sometimes the countries own PO will show it while CP doesn't). I believe PAYPAL doesn't cover "registered" as proof of delivery, however I do have the $60 coverage from the PO and the knowledge of the folks handling it on the journey that it is being "tracked". It really is moreso to dissuade the "crime" people as I like to call them. So far it has worked well. Note that since I started doing that I have very few sales to either country, however I don't care as the overhead around the number of losses and all the related effort more than offset the "profit" from those countries. Good customers understand and don't mind paying it if they are serious (I put good stamps on the package which helps too).
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

As PJC says, I also use standard int'l shipping for everything except the US,

I've always for the US used :"Standard shipping (1-6 business days)" - didn't even know there was a "standard shipping from outside the US" they must have added that sometime in the last 15 years!!! One learns something every day here.......
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

A Canadian seller  has to be very careful ... very careful.... when listing on eBay.com

Specifically with which postage category  to use..for .....Canada versus US versus International

with the US as domestic...

I have seen a newby  Canadian seller list a piece of Blue Mountain Pottery... Canadian Pottery manufacturer... on eBay.com... and inadvertently block Canadians from buying.....?

Canadian seller  ... lives in Canada....  and offers (1)  free shipping...for domestic shipping. (2) Local Pickup...  to US buyers...  and shipping to Canadian destinations at excessive cost.... sounded like everything was backwards....

Then with books....  a maximum cost for shipping on eBay.com at about $4.00 US for one book  or many books... unless you use the shipping calculator.

Can a Canadian seller use the shipping calculator on eBay.com?

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

So I am wondering then as a Canadian seller on .com do we have to use flat rate shipping for Canada or can we use the shipping calculator? I don't have enough margin (& can't increase my prices sufficiently) to offer "free" shipping.
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

The calculator doesn't work on .com unless you are shipping from a U.S. address.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Flat Rate shipping works.... if you look at the total cost of shipping for all sales.

Some buyers pay more than the actual cost of shipping..... Sometimes  I give a refund.

Some buyers pay less than the actual cost of shipping.

Eventually I have a reserve of about $250-$300 for all shipping in 2015 that pays for those that pay less than the actual cost for shipping.

What does help is that I live at about the centre of Canada... Winnipeg....  ad feed into the US in a relatively balanced manner as well.

My buyers are primarily in western Canada and Ontario....  and same applies to US buyers when  my sales are primarily to certain states......  So I can adjust my shipping according to where the highest percentage of my buyers live... in Canada,  and in the US.

At the end of each year  my buyers... all of them in total... have paid for the total cost of shipping in any year... and then also an accumulated reserve  derived from those that pay more for shipping than the actual cost of shipping..

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

I am having a really bad blond day due to turbo lister issues. It will not let me set up more than 1 international shipping as I want to list some of my stuff worldwide.

Please tell me How on .ca I can set different flat rates for CAN, the US, and rest of the world and on .com for the US, Can, and the rest of the world.

My mind will not function due to trying to figure it out on TL and on top of that, when I try to edit stuff on .ca, a lot of the boxes are totally blank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Use the Sell Your Item form on eBay instead.

There are two and the first one that appears is the simplified form.

I've used the advanced form so long that no other appears . I hope this URL helps.

http://cgi5.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SellHub3

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

On Turbolister.

Shipping to Canada is easy.

Shipping to the US and elsewhere is an international service.

For the US select a shipping option and specific a custom location... United States.

and then below the custom location ...  United States

For other international countries... select a postal option...  and the  ship to option is worldwide.... or select a specific country...as a custom location.

As soon as one select custom locations... one can specify a postage cost for a specific ...country...or area .... that is listed as an option.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Here are 2 screen shoots of the TL section for shipping on the .ca site. See all the blank boxes that you have to figure out.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

2nd screen shot

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Sorry, I am trying to save as a picture, not a link and not working

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

It looks like you are using the link button rather than the insert/edit image picture frame

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

tl 1 as jpg.jpgtl 2 as jpg.jpg

Message 20 of 22
latest reply