Do you have a tax question for your eBay business?

7 REPLIES 7

Why am I not surprised?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

Why am I not surprised?

I'm surprised. I would have thought that would be the one place that would give me an accurate answer. Perhaps I'm just naive.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I've been audited twice with no re-assessments - a colossal waste of time and resources.  I had 3 ridiculous re-assessments, had to involve my CA, eventually had the re-assessments overturned.  I've been asked 2 years in a row to provide documents which had already been sent with the initial tax return.  According to my accountant, it is common for supporting documents to go "missing" when a file goes from one employee to another.

You would think that, given the potential impact on people's lives, they could use a "cockpit check" form similar to what is now commonly used before surgeries - tick off the boxes, make sure that you are cutting off the correct foot, etc. before actually beginning the amputation, and keep the form with the file.  The concept of keeping information together should not be difficult for people in this line of work.

I once received a phone call from CRA asking for banking information.   I asked that the request be in writing - and of course never received any such written request.  The best advice I have ever received is never to share more information with them than is absolutely necessary.   I would rather pay a CA than ask a CRA employee any questions.  It would be nice if they could pay as much attention to the tax returns of the wealthy as they do to mine.  And of course, tax them at a similar rate.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

"I'm surprised."

So was I. 

I expected a 50% right.  They score 75%. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

CRA and other gov't departments would love to offload 100% (or 98%) of these questions to professionals paid by the taxpayer. There may be a method to their madness.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

When the CRA gives a wrong answer

or

When an accountant gives a wrong answer..

The only one who is responsible for what happens  is the person that asked CRA or an accountant for an answer to a question.

and got the wrong answer.

One question and one answer is not enough....

The answer must be verified  from several sources...  and there is a lot to read on the CRA website...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

And most likely a lot more questions to ask....

Message 8 of 8
latest reply