Does anyone like the new policy that we must list in Canadian dollars? I hate it!

Americans don't understand the exchange rate, they will not buy unless it says US dollars.

The Canada Post calculation doesn't match, the exchange rate usually makes up for the error.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Does anyone like the new policy that we must list in Canadian dollars? I hate it!

that makes sense but on .com How can you quote shipping or use calculator other than flat rate or free
Message 21 of 25
latest reply

on .com How can you quote shipping or use calculator other than flat rate or free

You can't use the calculator on dotCOM. It is only usable if you are shipping by USPS or another US carrier*.

You can research Canada Post rates

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

and decide on a median price that will not overcharge your nearby customers or undercharge your distant customers by too much.

This requires getting that cat out of its box, because you WILL lose money on shipping certain items, but what you are trying to do is break even on shipping at the end of the month.

We already discussed how 'Free Shipping' just means putting a shipping fee into the asking price right? I forget.

But Flat Rate Shipping is the trade off for listing in US dollars.

* Search the Boards for ChitChatExpress, for more information if you are in Vancouver area or the Golden Horseshoe.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

Having to use flat rate like that shouldn't be too big of a deal. In my experience, the shipping cost is always the same anyway to the US, no matter which of the lower 48 states it goes to. Not sure about Hawaii or Alaska though, I don't remember ever shipping to them.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

For Small Packets, all of the US is the same, all 50 states, PR, armed forces bases, Guam, every where. Matter-o-fact, it is cheaper and easier to ship to some of these places, from Canada, than it is from the US.

Photobucket
Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Well I just lost another sale because of the Best Offer fiasco. A buyer offered 2199.00 US but didn't know who to convert it to US Dollars so put that amount in and sent a note that the offer was US$. Course I won't state the obvious that she could Google the rate but we are dealing with Americans here. Needless to say I didn't find the offer was automatically turned down because it was in CAD$ not US$. I emailed here but it is almost a month later so my chances are slim.

Obviously the Best offer page is not making it clear to US customer that there is a large difference in value from US to CAD $ or giving them the option of entering the amount in the currency of their choice.

I guess the only work around is to go back to .com or but some kind of notice in my listings. *sigh*

Message 25 of 25
latest reply