Does it ever get you that prices are all over the map for the same thing?

I'm doing some research and it always blows my mind on how the prices are all over the map for the same thing.  This is a CD I am researching and there are only 4 listed plus 9 international and the price ranges from $5.99 USD to $69 USD (with $15 shipping).  

I've seen this on other ones too.  There is such a big difference between the lowest and the highest.  Does it ever get to you?  

different prices.jpg 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

To get a more accurate picture for your research, look at Completed Listings.

That should give a better idea of what the CD is selling for...... 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Yes, I look at completed, sold, the river, discogs.  It just surprises me the ranges in prices.  

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

This is where extenuating circumstances come into play. Among them: (a) only domestic shipping included free in the price; (b) seller reputation (c) seller experience (e) legitimacy of item (f) legality of item 

Those are simply a few that come to mind.

A shady seller who's selling an illegal bootleg of something that cost him nothing because it's stolen will need to ask less and be compelled to move it quicker than a seller who's added $15 to the cost to cover domestic postage (where you may not be seeing it as a foreign buyer) with an excellent reputation for packing and customer service selling brand new items that are in mint condition which are obtained legally. 

Both ends of the spectrum there to consider.

At one point as a buyer after I discovered I could manipulate the search results to show me cheapest first, I made a point of buying what cost me the least and, wow, was that a mistake more times than not. Poor condition, bad packing, shoddy merchandise, dodgy communication from sellers in trying to resolve problems and countless lost hours of my time trying to fix mistakes made by others with my money.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

If you're trying to price your own item against a wide range (and this doesn't strike me as that wild in the example for all the reasons I cited in my previous post) pick a median amount and adjust it based what your time and service is worth.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

What gets me even more is when you look at completed listings and see there are one or two that sold for way more than the others did and the difference can't be explained by shipping costs.

I see that all the time in my category:  Outliers that broke all the rules.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I am often that higher-priced outlier. I think it's due to the care I take with my listings (12 high-resolution photographs and detailed information) and the overall tone of feedback received. Plus selling in Canada in CAD, I can get things to people fast with same-day dispatch.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

What gets me even more is when you look at completed listings and see there are one or two that sold for way more than the others did and the difference can't be explained by shipping costs.

I see that all the time in my category:  Outliers that broke all the rules.

I think there's also another aspect that comes into play: visibility.

On the assumption many buyers don't read descriptions, there are also going to be a number of buyers who don't comparison shop.

They see or get shown an item, like it and buy it. If it happens to be a high priced one the seller got lucky!

A seller with high visibility will get shown to more people which increases their chances of this situation.

I'm more like MJ, generally you won't find me the cheapest or near the bottom. I too spend a lot of time and energy on my picturing and selling process. I have regular buyers at my "high" prices because they know they can count on consistent quality, good customer service and a seller that stands behind the stuff they sell. 

When I comparison shop a new  product line, usually I have an idea where I want to price it. I love it when I find lots of "too high" competitor prices above what I intended to sell for, because that means my item has a much higher chance of selling!

When I am buying, I don't gravitate toward the lowest price, I check all the aspects of the seller, shipping, pictures, feedback etc. I will go for the lowest/safest price.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Does not bother me at all. I look for the best buy for me and if selling price at what  need to get to be happy with the sale.

There are many reasons for price variations perhaps one seller paid full retail, another got it as part of a liquidation lot, another at the dollar store and a final one at a yard sale.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

There is also the I-hated-this-gift-and-want-it-gone-now price. Those are probably the best.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

My personal favourite is:  Let's sell Mommy's Tiffany collection at garage sale prices via BIN.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Look at this set of four postage stamps from Mongolia:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Stamps/260/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mongolia+304&_sop=15

Prices are all over the map from $1 to $40 for what appears to be the same set (I used to sell these sets for about $15 years ago).

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

The realized prices are much reduced, many under $1 a set, the largest $4ish.

Goes to show "high" catalogue value is a state of mind sometimes!
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
I am often that higher-priced outlier. I think it's due to the care I take with my listings (12 high-resolution photographs and detailed information) and the overall tone of feedback received. Plus selling in Canada in CAD, I can get things to people fast with same-day dispatch.

I do much the same. I ignore the low price sellers.They either did an auction that bombed or they will not be in business long.

I compete with the high priced sellers. Works for me.

Mind you, a few months back, I was looking for faucets for my claw foot tub. Prices were all over the map. Looked to me like it was the same company using different ways of marketing. The best price combination was the cheapest, shipping extra, no GSP. Further along there would be a virtually identical listing, higher price, higher shipping, GSP. It had me scratching my head.

Photobucket
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Pierre...you missed the last one $228 plus $45 shipping!

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Well, it just happened to me. Neighbour asked me to buy a game for her BIL. Prices all over the map. I chose Canada, a reasonably experienced seller, who just seemed to be getting rid of things they no longer need.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

"you missed the last one $228 plus $45 shipping!"

Not quite.  That is for a wholesale lot of 100 sets - (free shipping within the USA)

Message 17 of 17
latest reply