Dollar Amount for Signature Confirmation?

What is the max amount a seller can sell something for on eBay (using PayPal) to have seller protection without a signature confirmation of delivery?

There are tons of other posts on this topic but I've been researching for 30+ minutes and can't find any definitive answer. It's apparent that eBay recently increased the amount from $250 to $750, but it seems PayPal still hold the $250 policy. So what does that mean for sellers? Since most of us use PayPal, should we stick with the $250 rule since a case could be opened through PayPal and not eBay? Or if we used eBay, are we protected anyway? I honestly have no clue. Why is this information not clear? I noticed eBay no longer default checks the signature confirmation box for something over $250 which seems deceiving as we'd lose our PayPal seller protection?  Why even bother changing the amount to $750 if it's still $250 from PayPal; any savvy scammer could just open their case through PayPal for something sold in the $250-$749 range without a signature. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I use signature confirmation upon delivery when I feel it is appropriate.

I had a relatively valuable parcel, $200 Canadian dollars,  delivered to a community mailbox......  Yet the buyer did not get the parcel because he did not get the key to the parcel compartment.... and buyer said he did not receive the parcel.... Canada Post paid the insurance claim.

I have learned that the dollar value cited by eBay or Paypal is not important....  It is how I feel with using signature confirmation.  With signature required,  the buyer gets the parcel and the buyer's signature  upon receipt of the parcel indicates the parcel has been received.  There is absolutely no question that the parcel has been received.

A unique set of books was shipped to Arizona  with signature confirmation.  I had to remind that buyer that a signature was required when the parcel was delivered.  I got the impression that the buyer expected the parcel to be dropped off on his doorstep...Buyer's wife finally signed for the parcel....

It is my understanding that both eBay and Parcel require a signature  with the higher value.

I have my own personal dollar value.... a floating value  and definitely lower that what eBay or Paypal state.

Adding a signature to a Canadian parcel is a  minimal added cost with Canada Post Expedited parcel.

To the US one has to upgrade to Xpresspost  at extra cost.....  However, the peace of mind... buyer signs when the parcel is delivered... ..works for me...

Rules are one thing  while peace of mind is more important.

When that Arizona buyer signed for the parcel  it was an instant celebration for me!  Value of the parcel was about $400.

Others here should be able to confirm whether or not both eBay and Papal require that higher value of $750.

I have my "Peace of Mind" value...specific for each high value  sale... so I do not worry about eBay's or Paypal's value...  as my value will always be lower than that  required by eBay or Paypal....

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

We have another discussion where full insurance was not purchase,  and a signature was not required when the parcel was delivered....

There is a question as to whether buyer did or did not receive the parcel.

With a signature required upon delivery  there would have been no question whether the buyer did or did not receive the parcel.

Leaving a parcel on a doorstep is not for me, especially if it is a $500 ring...

There are too many situations noted on discussion boards on eBay.com where a signature upon delivery would have prevented a question with respect to non-delivery of a purchase...  

Scam buyers know how to work the system.  As sellers we have to know how to counter a scam...  to prevent a scam...

Signature required when appropriate... My rules...

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Here is information I have saved from a past announcement:

PAYPAL CHANGES MAY 15 2014
* Section 11 of the User Agreement currently requires that sellers obtain signature confirmation for transactions of $325 CAD in order for a transaction to be eligible for Seller protection for an Item Not Received Claim. That Section also currently includes a table for the corresponding foreign equivalency amount. This section will be changed to increase the dollar amount required for signature confirmation from $325 CAD to $850 CAD.
* Section 13.5 of the User Agreement currently requires a Buyer to obtain signature confirmation of return delivery for transactions that total $325 CAD or more in order for the transaction to be eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection for a Significantly Not As Described Claim. This section will be amended to increase this dollar threshold from $325 CAD to $850 CAD.

Here is information from the PayPal site, accessed by clicking on "Legal" or "Security" (depending on new view or classic view) at page bottom:  

PayPal Seller protection is available for eligible payments from buyers in any country. However, if you sell or market to buyers outside Canada, please read the PayPal Buyer Protection policy and PayPal Seller Protection policy of the countries in which you are selling (accessible via the “Legal” or “Legal Agreements” footer on most PayPal site pages) as these policies will apply to you as a Payment Recipient or seller.

Item Not Received Additional Requirements:

You must provide Proof of Delivery as described below in Section 11.4.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#11

The important thing here is that if you are shipping to another country you need to be aware of any differences in the applicable PayPal site policy.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply