EBAY GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM IS A SCAM.

EBAY HAS INTENTIONALLY MISLED SELLERS TO THINK THAT "GLOBAL SHIPPING IS A WAY FOR THEM TO SELL AND SHIP THEIR PRODUCTS TO NON USA BUYERS WHEN GLOBAL SHIPPING IS JUST A IMPORT DUTY COLLECTION SCHEME BY EBAY" Thats untrue you can Still ship Items to NON USA residents without Global Shiipping

Infact you will lose many potential buyers by registering you Item on 'Global Shipping'. Global Shipping is just one of those options that ONLY Ebay benefits and sellers lose potential buyers. What 'Global Shipping' does is that EBAY collects import duty of your ITEM on behalf of the buyers Country. So that the buyers prepays for import duty at the time they are buying your Item.

I PERSONALLY WILL NEVER BUY A PRODUCT FROM A SELLER THAT USES "GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM"

Now the total price of your Item will jump by at least 15% depending on that countrys import duty rate and that is the deal breaker to most buyers. Many buyers will simply then shy away and Not buy products that are checked with global shipping because when added with shipping costs your Item price will now increase greatly to discourage a buyer from continuing with the purchase.

"Global shipping has nothing to do with the ability of a seller to ship an Item to a non USA buyer. They should have called it "Pre-Import Duty collection program instead of calling it "Global Shipping Program".

A seller can still ship an Item out of the USA without Global Shipping. EBAY is the only one that benefits from Global shipping it collects this import duty money, and only gives it to the buyers importing country if asked by that country(allegedly) . In Canada most buyers handle their own import duty. Also some products are not import dutyable and yet EBay charges and collects the money.

Some Buyers have their own Import duty Tax number and sort it out with their own countries.

What you can do, is that at the time of listing your item, uncheck the global shipping for the Item. The Global shipping options for buyers from Canada and the Americas is Not really Neccessary. Or you could post the the item two times, One with Global shipping and the other without, and let buyers know that they can choose to buy the same Item without or with Global shipping.

Or you could ask International buyers to contact you before buying, request that their phone numbers are sent to you

Be a smart seller. DO NOT USE GLOBAL SHIPPING. LET BUYERS HANDLE THEIR OWN IMPORT DUTY. read the forums and internet about what are saying about "Ebay Global Shipping"

Many sellers are misled to believe that they have to use global shipping. You dont.

EBAY GLOBAL SHIPPING IS SIMPLY A GIMMECK THAT BUYERS AND SELLERS DO NOT NEED. ONLY EBAY BENEFITS.

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

A messge to sellers!

Have been on Ebay for 13 Years, I will not bid on any item that requires prepaid duty and taxes, I pay enough tax!!!

About 50% of the items I buy I get without duty and taxes and since all used I do not feel they should be taxed again!!!!!!!!!!!

They started adding fees to sellers that included the shipping cost, another money grag, I pay taxes on the total !!!

Enough TAXES!!! why should we be taxed again and again, pure BS in my opinion!

I will also assume that Ebay are collecting fees on the total sale price, Total BS

Message 41 of 64
latest reply

Why thyen would you offer to ship "World Wide " simply say US ONLY, but you like the money I think!

Message 42 of 64
latest reply

"If those items you would have purchased without the GSP are getting purchased by other people instead, then eBay isn't necessarily losing money."

You need to go back to school to learn how to read. Still for sale or didn't sell.

Learn to read all to post out there, it is very easy to see buyers are despise the GSP. When buyers get **bleep** off, they look and buy else were = lost of revenue.

Message 43 of 64
latest reply

"It amazes me to see eBay absolutely willing to let sales fall to new lows because of a failed program"

I am curious - where does one get factual information showing lower sales by eBay?  Provide a link, please.

The last factual information I can find is : "Gross merchandise volume (GMV), excluding vehicles, increased 13% to $18 billion" (second quarter 2013, released July 2013)

link: http://investor.ebayinc.com/financial_releases.cfm

Message 44 of 64
latest reply

I am curious - where does one get factual information showing lower sales by eBay?  Provide a link, please.

Some people on this discussion forum must be paid by ebay, they never write anything against ebay or they always put an up twist on a negative post.

Home & Garden doesn't cross reference or mix with Collectibles & Art

Electronics doesn't cross reference or mix with Collectibles & Art

I hope you are intelligent enough to understand.

Message 45 of 64
latest reply

Some people on this discussion forum must be paid by ebay, they never write anything against ebay or they always put up a twist on a neagative post.

Of course some of us are paid. The regulars are just deciding how we are going to share the half million bonus that was awarded to us for posting nice things about eBay.

Your cross reference & mix point is a little vague.

Explain further.

Message 46 of 64
latest reply

@angus_coin_shop wrote:

"If those items you would have purchased without the GSP are getting purchased by other people instead, then eBay isn't necessarily losing money."

You need to go back to school to learn how to read. Still for sale or didn't sell.

I responded to your post as quoted.  You mentioned nothing in that post about unsold items.

Message 47 of 64
latest reply

amigo..i bought several canada goose jackets already..some even were 900$.. if that jacket arrived in my country ,i never paid more then 60 euros in total on import taxes.

Never. U dont have to tell me ,that 211$ is normal ,on a jacket of 400 $.

60 euros ;is that 211$.. eh no..

Message 48 of 64
latest reply

I agree.

TO ALL OF YOU U.S.A SELLERS READING THIS, I will NEVER, EVER buy an item on eBay that uses this "Global Shipping Program".

I REFUSE to pre-pay for SCAMMY BROKER FEES. That's what they are people, fyi. BROKER FEES paid in advance.

Simple defintion: A broker fee is a fee paid for a thrid party to PAY your duty for you. Ummmm, I can do that myself at the post office thank you. I can do that myself when the package is delivered, etc.

The funny thing is, 99% of all of my ebay purchases from the U.S I never had to pay duty or tax on in the first place.

What a JOKE this program is. It's just eBay's way of getting more money from NON-U.S buyers.

They struck a deal with these slimbag third party brokers 'cause UPS and Fed-Ex have been runnin' the same scam on non-informed Canadians for years. 

It's just bad business people, plain and simple.

Message 49 of 64
latest reply

What you don't understand is that if you don't want to ship outside the US then there is the option for that so please go ahead and do that as Global Shipping charges are not based on duties etc it is based on value regardless of whether the item is duty/tax exempt.

I am in discussions with the Canadian Border office and as yet they have not recieved any of the duties/taxes I paid upfront.

Message 50 of 64
latest reply

By now ive reviewed hundreds of items,on pages  with these so called  gsp import charges... every item calculates  at least 100$   more ;than i would have to pay in europe,on import tax.

The higher the amount, the crazier it gets.

Many us sellers dont even know they are using the programme!

I told some sellers about that they are  using the gsp programme ;and they change their settings lol.

and ebay calls it ;finally  international shipping made easy...Yes it never been so easy for ebay to fill their pockets.

And ;when it arrives in your country ;no additional charges!  NO coz we already charged u atleast 100$ more ;then u wouldve paid in your own country! woohoo what a deal!

Whatever any one says bout it ;  gsp is a joke.

I was thinking bout an other thing ;why the hell someone has to  pay import taxes on a used item..like used clothes..that also doesnt make any sense ;does it? its not new..so why u would have to pay  duties over  used clothing? In my own country i only pay tax over clothes i buy in the store also.

Message 51 of 64
latest reply

I agree with you, it is a rip off. And as Canadian, it does affect us tremendously. When purchasing any new item in the US (or from anywhere in the world), there is NO CUSTOM CHARGES on items that are $50 or less. Yet, with global shipping, there are custom charges on everything, at every price. It is just a rip off from ebay.

Message 52 of 64
latest reply

No it is not! Shipping are even more outrageous, and custom is being charged even on items that the Canadian customs would not (for a fact) charge!

Message 53 of 64
latest reply

I also avoid purchasing with this new shipping policy

Example.

Bought Model train kit for 14 dollars from New Jersey, - under new shipping a whopping 38 dollars was tacked on.

(This product was not available in Canada)

Never again.

I now will cut my purchases down on Ebay to a fraction of what they were before.

Message 54 of 64
latest reply

I don't think ebay will see a decrease in new buyers running from purchasing in the US but just from reading the forum without actual Numbers i think it is obvious ebay will see a reduction in Regular Canadian ebayers purchasing from the US ...

I personally wish  this program would go away because i hate not seeing all cost up front ...

Message 55 of 64
latest reply

<< When purchasing any new item in the US (or from anywhere in the world), there is NO CUSTOM CHARGES on items that are $50 or less.>>

$20 or less is the cutoff. If the item is a gift, and if you bought it, it is not a gift, the cutoff is $60.
Duty is charged on both new and used items. Duty is based on place of manufacture not of purchase.
Items that are duty-free may still attract sales tax, which varies from %5 to 15% depending on province.
There will also be a service fee paid to the carrier which varies from $5 or less from Pitney Bowes to $25 or more from UPS and other couriers.
Message 56 of 64
latest reply

willt47
Community Member

As a long term buyer I am appalled that this global shipping is a method to collect a brokerage  fee from buyers . This fee is in excess of usps fees . Since this a fee which is applied to the global shipping automatically the low shipping fee advertised is an advertising come on for unsuspecting Canadians. This is a refinement of the UPS shipping scam( 25 shipping 50 custom handling) . I anticipate fewer ebay purchases as a result.

Intelligent sellers should realize that is is a gouge by ebay in addition to the auction fees that will result in lower sale and prices.

Message 57 of 64
latest reply

I avoid every auction with the GSP. My items aren't expensive enough. In the past, I had expensive things coming in and if I got hit with customs, I knew it was coming. However, small items should not be cashed in on. It is a scam. 

Avoid ANY listing that says: "Customs services and international tracking provided"

That's the GSP. It's killing trade for us Canadians.

Shame on you FEEBAY!

Message 58 of 64
latest reply

arg338
Community Member

Do yourself and the buyer a favor and DO NOT  ship it trough global shipping.

They will declare some of the item Undeliverable citing ITAR International Traffic in Arms Regulations and sell it of themselves. Don't believe it ? Just check Global item restriction, and what they will declare as Undeliverable ....Just another nail in the coffin of fredoooom for our southern neighbors

This  was jus a simple wooden stock with no metal, ( unfinished )
From the US Seller to me
Your un-deliverable stock. It's listed in Auction# 111214916187 at greatpricescheapstuff. 265.00 or make offer, they even used my Item description. Wonder if they ship to Canada.
Front and rear Hand Guard look scratched and the pictures are not very good..

I will be sure to never use the Global Shipping Program again. I looked at the address of the seller and it is Global, Erlanger Kentucky. They sure receive a lot of goods that they can't ship? makes me wonder.
When you sell something on Ebay and it comes to shipping the Global box is checked automatically and has to be un-checked.

Message 59 of 64
latest reply

As a Canadian buyer with a rating of 560 and purchased and sold for years! I will stop shopping on ebay. my last 3 purchases were overly charged drastically. GSP is a RIP-OFF ! plain and simple!

eg- purchased a jacket for $34.50 seller charged $9.50 shipping- GSP charged me an additional $13.30 shipping + import charges of $15.44 for a total of $28.74 the seller never see's this but I have to pay! outrageous RIP OFF! they pocket my $$$'s

Never again will I purchase from a seller who offers GSP if ever again on ebay......

Message 60 of 64
latest reply