Ebay Return policy needs work.

I believe sellers should be very aware of scam artists that are trying to exploit Ebays returned item policies which are heavily slanted to the buyer--even to the point they ignore the representations of an honest seller.

I will describe a case that I endured just recently.

A buyer bought a pendant for $250 which I shipped free.Gave them a discount because they said they were buying unconditionally and would not be returning it.

On receipt the buyer sent me a nasty email saying the item had no colour and I was a liar cheat and all sorts of stuff and guilty of misrepresentation--they wanted to send it back.

Bear in mind that they had seen a dozen clear photos on my listing--all taken with OTT daylight bulbs.

They sent me a deliberately underexposed image that showed a black gem--when in reality it is bright green and blue.

I have seen the occasional nasty buyer like this before and know how to handle them.

I offered an immediate refund if they would return the item as described in my return policy section.

They would not communicate.

A couple of days later they escalated the claim and Ebay sent me an unsigned threatening email that stated I had to send the buyers money to cover return shipping--and if I didn't--Ebay would issue them a full refund regardless if the buyer had returned the item or not.

I immediately sent the buyer the shipping charge to their PayPal account.

then when that had cleared I called the resolution centre and informed them of the refund for shipping I had given the buyer and also gave them the transaction number to prove it.

The Ebay rep said that she had logged all this on my account and not to worry--it was all OK.

I then received a second unsigned threat from Ebay saying that they were going to refund the client unless I sent them the shipping money to return the item.

I again called the resolution centre and got a second rep--also in the Phillipines and went over the whole thing again--she said all was logged on my account and not to worry.

Today I received an email from Ebay to say that they had decided in favour of the buyer--apparently without looking at my side of the story at all.

They had refunded the buyer $250+ shipping charges-- to a buyer who has refused to communicate with me through all this.

So now this crook has the $250 item never returned AND Ebay has aided and abetted them all along and given them a full refund.

To hell with a seller who has a perfect record and has earned them thousands over the years.

I got back on the phone and this time got a rep in the US who listened to my story--checked the facts and issued me a refund on the spot--as she put it--I was never the party in the wrong,

The moral of the story--Ebay refund policies are atrocious--so if you are in the right--dont give up--fight like hell.

Ebay should never put sellers through this abuse--but as many have said on these boards---they simply dont give a **bleep**.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Looks like too many cooks that spoiled the broth.

There is a process to be followed...

but several  cooks did it without knowing the specifics of the situation with each call to eBay.

Finally resolved correctly..... or was it a correction of an eBay error.....

But then someone got their money back  ... and may also have the purchase as well.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Since ebay and paypal split up it is more confusing then most.  I find that I just follow the process through the resolution process it works fairly well and the return shipping on those rare cases when I want the product back are logged in properly.

The problem you had was to send the money for shipping outside of the resolution centre.  Never count on Ebay customer service giving you the correct answer.  The refund was done automatically by the computer, since that subroutine "Resolution Centre" did not have the return postage logged it went forward and issued the refund.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

In 13 years and 10K plus sales, I have never had a problem. I, also, do not create problems.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

A couple of days later they escalated the claim and Ebay sent me an unsigned threatening email that stated I had to send the buyers money to cover return shipping--and if I didn't--Ebay would issue them a full refund regardless if the buyer had returned the item or not.

These emails are usually sent automatically. There is no person to sign it.

At this point you should have called eBay and explained about being in Canada.

And keep on explaining until a supervisor gave you permission to pay postage after receiving the item back.

However, when a buyer (or a seller) is angry, the trust required for this is not going to happen.

I wonder if either of those 'threatening ' emails was from eBay at all. Usually they are so weasel worded as to be practically incomprehensible.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I guess we aren't all as perfect as you think you are.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

also.

I note you have three negative feedbacks indicating you do in fact have and create problems.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I agree. In this situation a bot made the decision because they couldn't see that a return label was sent. The system definitely does have some major flaws.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

ammolitehunter wrote: 

This is really scary if it is going to be the way of the future. I like the old way better, it wasn't perfect either but at least it was more of a level playing field. EBay wants all those international sales but on these transactions a return label can't be issued. Is this going to be eBay's answer then, to force full refunds if sellers can't show they paid return shipping before getting an item back? Seems unfair.  

If this is how eBay is going to do it from now on it is not hard to believe more and more sellers will switch to the GSP.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Sound almost EXACTLY what happened to me as well. Good for you - fighting the good fight. When it's worth fighting for, time and effort are small prices to pay. I hate when the "bad guy" wins.
Your story is so close to mine - just the word 'pendant' is basically the only difference from my own bad experience.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply