Ebay US account

Hi everyone,

Is there any avantage for a cdn seller to open a US ebay account ?...

Thank you for your advises and comments

Cheers,

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ebay US account

If you are shipping from Canada it makes sense to list on eBaydotCA.

If you list on dotCOM you are forced to use Flat Rate shipping.

If most of your items ship by LetterPost or LightPacket this is not a problem, but some services, especially the tracked ones and you are in a category where tracking is advisable, also have a 'distance' component.

You can work around this by using the farthest distance to set your Flat Rate.

If you are shipping from Canada, you MUST indicate that in your listing. Don't try to pretend you are in Florida or Alaska. The problems are slower delivery because of the border, and the possiblility that your buyer will be charged duty and/or sales tax on his doorstep when he thought he was buying from a Yankee.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Ebay US account

I don't believe you can open a U.S. account unless you reside in the USA. Or do you mean you want to list in U.S. dollars instead of Cdn. Dollars?
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Ebay US account

I not sure what the question means, either. You are defined with where you live. Outside of that, you can list on any site you want to. I list on dot com. I was listing on ca, last year, when there promos on.

My genre is better supported with com functionality.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Ebay US account

You can have a US Ebay and Paypal account but you have to have a PO Box (or other US address) in the US, US bank account, US debit or credit card, need ID such as passport, and drivers licence, and fill out a form on line for Ebay and/or Paypal.

That is what it was a few years ago and I still have both US and Canadian Ebay and Paypal accounts.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Ebay US account

If you are shipping from Canada it makes sense to list on eBaydotCA.

If you list on dotCOM you are forced to use Flat Rate shipping.

If most of your items ship by LetterPost or LightPacket this is not a problem, but some services, especially the tracked ones and you are in a category where tracking is advisable, also have a 'distance' component.

You can work around this by using the farthest distance to set your Flat Rate.

If you are shipping from Canada, you MUST indicate that in your listing. Don't try to pretend you are in Florida or Alaska. The problems are slower delivery because of the border, and the possiblility that your buyer will be charged duty and/or sales tax on his doorstep when he thought he was buying from a Yankee.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Ebay US account

Thank you everyone for your inputs and comments...

For now I will put this project on ice and see how the new fee schedule will affect my ''ebaying''... I will really need to run some number before doing any move !

Cheers,

Rock !

Message 6 of 6
latest reply